Action Points Imrpovements?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Rudolf, Oct 7, 2020.

1. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I think the way action points are assigned have a number of serious design flaws. It made me hesitate to post under bug or suggestions. I finally chose to use suggestions, because technically it works more or less.

What is the problem? Far too many points are given for stops, passenger loading, go via instructions and coupling.

This makes that for a 40 km freight run, you may get say 3000-4000 points. If you drive the same distance, you may get up to 20.000 points for a stopping passenger service.

For me it feels there has been no thought about the effect the awards have at a more global level. It feels like someone at DTG thought, we need an award system, gave it to a junior developer and never properly designed it.

The bad news is the opportunity to adapt this for TSW2 is missed completely. Changing the points will affect player levels, the medal system and also the Mastery system that is now developed.

What should be changed?
    - No reword for a go via instruction.
    - For stopping accurately, 25-50 points would be OK. Stopping is very important. Coupling could be included, it is a stop as well.
    - Stopping timeliness could be max 50 points as well, but this requires achievable timetables, which is not always the case.I would like to suggest to extend it to any timetabled stop.
    - I do not understand the difference for loading/unloading per wagon. 13-18 points is quite a lot, 5 points should do.
    - Finally, it would be nice to have a bonus of 5 points for distance driven, provided all safety systems are turned on and it should at least include AWS, ATC, PZB or something like that.

I am awe of the impact. Therefore, it should be done quickly.

• Like Like x 5
  2. ZeenozPlays

ZeenozPlays Well-Known Member

Since the medals on the services/scenarios are based on the amount of points you have, they would need to rework all of the point thresholds.

3. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

That’s far too low. Having a perfect stop, on time, giving the same number of points as driving below the speed limit for a minute removes any incentive to be on time or stop at the right place. Much worse than getting too many points. A total of 1000 points per station might be a tad high but a total of 100 is far too low, which is worse. That would mean a passenger run with 20 perfect stops would only give 1900 points max above a freight run of the same distance but is actually much more difficult to do well than a freight run. That would be one extreme to the other. Not as easy at it seems to come up with a realistic points system is it. Maybe that junior dev didn’t do such a bad job after all.

• Like Like x 2