Game Update Add-ons Manager Is Here.

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Alex, Feb 27, 2023.

1. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

I found one more issue. The Acela scenarios on Boston Sprinter (yes, I caved and got the Acela to celebrate) don’t show up in Boston’s scenario list for me. I can still access them if I select the Acela first and then look for available scenarios but it’s strange that they’re not on Boston’s scenario list. Can anyone reproduce this?

• Like Like x 2
  2. richtayls

richtayls Well-Known Member

Sadly on PlayStation you cannot separate DLC from the base game when transferring between storage devices.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. leewood83

leewood83 Member

Lovely enjoy GT7 in VR!

• Like Like x 1
  4. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

It's nice to see the AC44 at SMH now.

• Like Like x 1
  5. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm exactly the same as you with Acela! I've been looking at all the other scenarios for the add-ons and they all seem to be in place.

I also noticed that the Bi-level Cab Car CTX, the one that comes with baby bullet, doesn't have any service available on the Peninsula Corridor. I don't know if it's a bug in the add-on manager or if it's already a known bug because I haven't had this route installed for a long time.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2023
  6. swift19

swift19 Active Member

I had this problem yesterday before the update when I downloaded routes I hadn't used in ages.

• Like Like x 1
  7. TripleJ814

TripleJ814 Well-Known Member

One of the many bugs on Peninsula Corridor since the Preservation Crew's update. Every platform.

• Like Like x 1
  8. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

After testing the game for several hours today, I think everything works really well. Layers and substitutions seem to be all available in hourly mode.

There are a few small bugs that have already been reported in this thread and a few more that may come up, but they are not too important and I'm sure they will be fixed easily. As for the performance I honestly haven't noticed any drastic changes so far, but I need more time to evaluate it better.

In my opinion I think the add-on manager is a resounding success. DTG has done a great job and I want to thank the team, their effort has been rewarded. To be able to enjoy the full game without worries and have everything available is a pleasure I had already forgotten after such a long time.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Lamplight

Same here. I’ve reported the two issues I found (mastery, Acela). Apart from those, everything seems to work smoothly.

10. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Several weeks ago we were discussing another issue. Quickplay has huge loading time if you own a large number of DLC. JD then said the in that discussion this change may have a positive impact. Personally I do not believe that, the issue is that you ned to scan all data from all DLC (in mu case 170 Gb), which takes a lot of time. The solution for this issue would be to create a local cache to avoid this scanning process. I may be wrong of course, so can you say anything about this issue in this context? Will it help or not, if not is there any chance that it will be solved soon? For me quick play is completely unusable. DTG Alex or DTG JD

11. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

I can check with the team tomorrow RE: QuickPlay, but I'd be interested to hear if anyone has seen any noticeable difference.

I've logged the Acela issue as well, thanks for letting us know. That might be because some of the work was happening in tandem with the US content release last week.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

A quick update from me: haven't tested everything yet, but so far everything is running smoothly on the PS5. All layers are available as before. Moreover, as a PS4 veteran, I'm still flashed by the pretty PS5 graphics and performance. The only thing that is still hanging are the unlockable assets of the mastery rewards. Many are not even displayed in the corresponding menu and can therefore not be activated with a tick. But that's not so important at the moment because the Addon Manager works perfectly, so kudos to the whole team for that. I also think that after the update on the PS5, the loading times have become a little faster. But since SSD loads fast anyway, you will probably notice a bigger difference on the PS4.

Conclusion: a great day for all PS5 players! It took a very long time, but in the end we were able to trick Sony's 64GB limit and also improve the overall performance of the consoles. "Yabba Dabba Doo!" ;)

• Like Like x 2
  13. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

That is a game-wide bug, introduced quite a long time ago and still not fixed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

I will likely be upgrading to a PS5 soon, too, since the Add-On manager is now released. But in the meantime, I’m nevertheless looking forward to the incoming performance improvements since I’m one of those PS4 players with tons of add-ons installed. My friend plays TSW3 on PS5, and the improved graphics and performance are stunning. Don’t forget to check out the additional layers on routes like Munich-Augsburg, London-Brighton and Bremen-Oldenburg! :D

• Like Like x 1
  15. surreychuff#3060

surreychuff#3060 Active Member

Flawless experience tonight

still not over the novelty of having all the content there, all at once!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

Another happy PS5 player here. Finally able to reinstall stuff on my PS5 that I‘ve not seen for a long time. Also experiencing the mastery issue, but that’s minor. I‘d forgotten I even owned Sherman Hill!

• Like Like x 3
  17. steve.taelemans

steve.taelemans Member

Same here. The configure overlays folder is empty, except from training center.

18. nazz#5903

nazz#5903 New Member

I can't play the scenarios included with the UP heritage pack for Sherman Hill. The scenarios are visable when selecting by locomotive bit still will not let me play them.

19. florians#7620

florians#7620 Well-Known Member

My first experience is also very positive with the addon manager. All my DLC shows up, and layers seem to be active. I noticed the mastery issue as well but can live with it for now. Other than that the manager seems to be doing what it should. :) …will do some more driving today. But it’s so good to have all the content there to choose from :D

• Like Like x 2
  20. Lamplight

As an addendum, the issue is worse than first thought. While the scenarios show up when filtering by train, they cannot be started. Nothing happens when you click on ‘get started’.

• Like Like x 3
  21. leewood83

leewood83 Member

Didn't realise I owned so many routes it's been a while seeing them all. Thanks to all involved.

• Like Like x 2
  22. do not add this to PC we dont need it i would say split TSW into 2 and have a Console Edition and a PC edition with bigger routes and more of the hardcore side of the game and keep the console game well console friendly also unreal 5.1 would help huge in the shutter front

• Like Like x 1
  23. Dinger75

Dinger75 Well-Known Member

Or you can go play train sim classic and then you can wind your neck in

• Like Like x 19
  24. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

That’s just not possible. It would mean twice as much work and there just aren’t enough PC players to pay for a PC only version. Rather than have bigger more hardcore routes you would have nothing at all. Although it is a big change in the game architecture it has no negative impact on how the game appears to the player so there is no reason to not have it.

• Like Like x 11
  25. Turbojugend

Turbojugend Well-Known Member

LOL.

26. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Why should PC get bigger/longer routes and more stuff when 2/3 of the player base are on consoles?
    DTG has always stated that there will be and is parity between the different systems so none are treated better than the others.
    Also, this add-on manager will most likely help with optimisation and memory issues.

I really don't get/understand why those on PC treat themselves or think of themselves as above the rest when gaming is gaming no matter what system you use.
    I play and stream games from both PC and console (PS5) and I have the same experiences playing on both systems.
    As Dinger75 just said above, if you want a more hardcore experience go play TSC with it's many thousands of mods available.

• Like Like x 16
  27. sequencer2k16

sequencer2k16 Well-Known Member

Please discard the release for PC, we don't need both the addon manager and resulting bugs.
    The DLC mangement on PC works fine, don't break it, thanks.

• Like Like x 3
  28. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Well, we don't really know, do we, The Steam client is different from Sony and Microsoft. I get Steam updates every few days affecting how the server/client integrate with each other, so what will this core change do to that relationship.

You could say that I don't understand how the add- on manager works and that's true. Perhaps you could explain the technology to me.
    I didn't think so, my friend. ;)

DTG needs to explain exactly how it works in plain English and give assurances that it will be silent and invisible to PC players.

Other core features can be toggled. Why not this one?

( PS: I have no sympathy for or patience with the PC vs Console crowd. )

Last edited: Mar 1, 2023
  29. SteveRail

SteveRail Well-Known Member

The initial load time on the PS5 seemed a lot quicker today.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

That's right, I've noticed it too. Because nothing has to be loaded additionally in the background and the required data is pre-sorted by the Addon Manager, loading times can be faster.

BTW: It's nice to see that many players from other platforms are rejoicing with us Playstation guys! Aren't there already the first critical voices that don't even want to try the new tool for their valuable PCs. I'm sure DTG will not publish anything that will damage or bug the Steam Client in the end.

• Like Like x 5
  31. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

It's a core change unfortunately. It's not meant to really do or change anything. So just let it install and let it be. Maybe some small optimizations here and there but nothing major.

32. Kappi701

Kappi701 Active Member

Tried it today - works well.
    And nice to see all DLC I've got

33. steveownzzz#6107

steveownzzz#6107 Well-Known Member

I’m messing around with routes like arosalinie for the first time in forever, thanks to this update.

• Like Like x 1
  34. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I have enough of an understanding of what it is doing rather than exactly how it works as I’ve been following progress of it and Matt has explained a few things along the way. I would need a fuller understanding to be able to explain it to you properly and in any kind of detail so I can’t do that. I don’t know the technology it uses but the plain English headline is that it loads less stuff at the time it needs it rather than loading everything at the start. So it loads all the content required for what route and service you are about to play rather than your entire collection when you load the game. It is only about what files are loaded and when, that’s it.

The PS5 version has been released and it is loading all the right files at the right time and the players see nothing different in how the game works. That will be the same with the PC version too. It is just loading files. The common code (all platforms) that has already been changed and released on PS5 is clearly working really well so it is loading the correct flies and there is nothing to suggest that once the small bit of code that interacts with Steam has been updated that it won’t also work well. It really is just loading files at a different time. The game works the same once the files are loaded. I hope that was in plain enough English but I’m sure Matt could do a better job and allay some fears.

• Like Like x 3
  35. orb

orb Well-Known Member

To add, especially when using mods. For example, some of mods haven't been updated since the Rush Hour release, but just simply marked as TSW3 compatible. Would they need to be updated now to still work with add-ons manager?

• Like Like x 1
  36. simon edwards

simon edwards New Member

after installing add ons manager.koln-aachen 423,tees valley 37 and bakerloo silver 1972 stock are not listed to use when using scenario planner.i own all tsw content and am using off the rails mode

37. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

So far I personally haven't encountered any issues as a result of add ons manager.

38. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

I think DTG are communicating with a few modders in regards to add-ons manager just to see if they load in still with the update. In regards to compatibility though, it would likely be up to the mod owners to make sure they update them if they need it. Mods aren't really DTG's responsibility and they shouldn't have to ensure mods work with each update considering they're not official products, resources are better spent working on fixes that all platforms benefit from instead.

39. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Has this come to other platforms yet?

Glad to hear the issues have been relatively minor so far.

40. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Thank you for that. I'm generally aware of what it does in terms of file loading without knowing the underlying tech.. If that's all it does, and I'm unable to avoid it, perhaps I should just wait until it launches for PC and does or does not cause issues.

• Like Like x 1
  41. rennekton#1349

Not yet

• Like Like x 1
  42. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

Or Xbox we don't need it if it adds bugs as we don't have a DLC limit to begin with.

43. mattchester#9176

mattchester#9176 Well-Known Member

Yes you do, you just haven't reached it yet! To be fair it's a soft limit based by how much RAM your console has and not a hard limit imposed by Microsoft. It does exist though, and if DTG didn't give you Addons Manager you game would just get slower and slower the more DLC you install.

One way of looking at this whole debacle is that Sony are protecting players from poor game design.

• Like Like x 1
  44. rennekton#1349

On playstation, it's main purpose is for removing the dlc limit for ps5. It won't really have an impact on pc. For last gen consoles, it's supposed to improve performance, decrease crashes, decrease ram usage. Would even benefit the xbox series consoles to some extent.

45. Dinger75

Dinger75 Well-Known Member

But you do have memory issues that causes crashes on both last gen console and the Series S (series X possibly as well but not to the same level)

And the more DLC you had installed, the more acute the problem became.

Sooner or later they had to rectify the issue of preloading all DLC, as if Matt was correct, it was over 500mb of memory lost if you had all DLC loaded (and that figure only has risen with recent route releases)

So it was either find a new way of doing things or sooner or later having to stop making new DLC's

46. bakedpotatos.jm

Actually I own all the DLC and I don't have issues on the Series X. Never had a crash, OOM error and FPS has never dropped below 52 FPS.

• Like Like x 1
  47. bakedpotatos.jm

That is a valid point. But for someone like me who only has the one game installed, as that is all I play. It's not an issue on tge Series X

48. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

how about the xbox consoles too since both platforms don't have a dlc limit

49. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

DTG JD Did you get an answer on the quickplay issue? I cannot check if it helps because I play on PC.

50. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

The official "fix" since TSW3's launch is to play Peninsula Corridor in TSW2