Adjust Gui And Hud For Multi-monitor And Wide Monitor Support

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Drakoz, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Drakoz

Drakoz Active Member

With the release of NEC NY, the FOV is now corrected for multi-monitor and wide monitors. Much thanks DTG!

The next step, please, is to adjust the GUI and HUD elements for multi-monitor and wide monitors. This actually applies mostly to multi-monitor setups as wide monitors are not usually so wide that it is a problem.

I'll talk with regard to 3 monitors. What is often over looked for multi-monitor support is GUI elements are stretched out spanning all 3 monitors. So the user has to look to the far left and far right and move the mouse across 3 screens to navigate through the menus. Or in TSW, the in game HUD elements are at the far reaches of the left and right monitors which makes them difficult to see at a glance. The solution is to either 1) recognize this is a multi-monitor situation and automatically move all GUI and HUD elements into the middle 1/3rd of the display resolution hence placing them on the middle monitor, or 2) give a settings option that allows the user to set where they want the GUI and HUD to be.

Option 2 is preferred and may be easier for DTG as well to prevent issues because the user can choose. For example, if you have 3x 1920x1080 monitors (5760x1080 total resolution), option 2 allows the user to set how wide the GUI and HUD will be regardless of the resolution. Then all HUD and GUI elements should be displayed centered on the total resolution, but only stretched out to the width the user selected.

Ideally, you should be able to set a separate number for the GUI and for the HUD. For example, the user might choose 1920 for the GUI, so all GUI elements appear as if they have a single monitor. This would apply to all menus in TSW, as well as any on screen text messages like when someone is talking to the user. But for HUD elements, they might select e.g. 2560 which would place the HUD compass, objectives, next speed or next signal HUD elements just to the left and right of the center monitor (on the left and right monitor, but close to the center monitor). By doing option 2, the devs don't have to worry about getting it perfect for all multi-monitor situations because the user can change the value.

I could also add in a comment about bezel correction. To play TSW with multi-monitor support requires turning on nVidia surround mode (or the equiv. for other video cards), creating a single display resolution as if it is a single huge monitor. There is usually a bezel correction factor that can be added which increases the resolution width as if there are pixels behind the monitor bezels. For example, on my 3 monitor setup, my width is 1920x3 = 5760. But if I add pixels to compensate for the bezels, I get 6080 pixels wide (adding 160x2 pixels for the bezels between the monitors). If you implement the above multi-monitor support, using option 2, allows the user to also compensate for bezel correction. If you only use option 1, some elements on the edge of the GUI or HUD will be cut off as they are "behind the bezel".

• Like Like x 1