Altoona Division

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by NS8099fan, Jul 24, 2019.

1. NS8099fan

NS8099fan New Member

I think dovetail needs to incorporate Norfolk Southern into TSW with The Pittsburgh Line from Downtown Altoona to Johnstown, PA. This route would include Landmarks such as Johnstown, Cresson, Gallitzin, and Horseshoe Curve among others. There could be a scenario with you moving locomotives around Juniata Shops and being able to explore inside the locomotive bays. The locomotives would include the SD40-2, SD40E (for pushing service), AC44C6M, and SD70ACe. Heritage units and Amtrak P32-8s would be considered DLC. The service mode would be very busy as this is NS’s busiest line in Pennsylvania. Please reply with your thoughts.

• Like Like x 4
  2. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

Good idea. I'd like to suggest NS ET44ACs, ES40DCs, ES44ACs, SD60Es, SD80MACs, and/or SD70Ms as possible locomotives. An Amtrak Genesis P42DC would be a great engine for passenger operations.

• Like Like x 1
  3. NS8099fan

NS8099fan New Member

I have done a lot of thinking about the NS Pittsburgh Line Idea and I Now have more research to go with it. The Pittsburgh Line is owned by Norfolk Southern from Harrisburg to Pittsburgh, PA. Obviously, the route is too large for TSW as a whole but I would like to focus on the Altoona-Johnstown portion, in my opinion, the busiest portion of the line.

Route: The proposed route will start in Altoona, PA at the Juniata Shops and go through the line to Johnstown Station in Johnstown, PA. The line will also include the South Fork Yard for local operations of the line.

Locomotives
    AC44C6M
    SD40-2
    SD40E
    SD80MAC

These locomotives could come preloaded with the route and dovetail could make a Norfolk Southern Heavy Freight Pack containing the following:

ET44AC
    ES44AC
    ES40DC
    SD60E
    SD70M
    SD70ACe
    SD70ACU
    Amtrak D8-32BWH or P42DC (I’m not picky so any of these would be great)

Scenarios
    1. A train coming from Johnstown has been stopped due to a lack of manned helpers on the Grade. Bring two SD40Es from Juniata Terminal up to Cresson where it is stopped.
    2. You are tasked with the South Fork local to Altoona. Grab two SD80MACs and bring the train to Altoona.
    3. An AC44C6M on the Curve unexpectedly shut down for reasons unbeknownst to the crew. Bring an SD80MAC from South Fork up to the AC44C6M and bring it to Juniata for repairs.

These are just ideas and there will need to be more scenarios.

Services
    This route most likely would be launched with the Journey feature in TSW 2020, and it would be that much better with the feature enabled. The line sees upward of 50 freights a day, plus two Amtrak Pennsylvanian Services To New York and Pittsburgh.

That’s all I have. I hope I can gain support for this line Idea. Thank you.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Big Papi34

Big Papi34 Well-Known Member

Yes

• Like Like x 1
  5. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I would love this. I will be riding on this line in a bit over a week from now.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Big Papi34

Lucky. Which Amtrak train will you be on?

7. zawal.belili

zawal.belili Guest

yes , like this

8. Big Papi34

You'll also be on Virtual Railfan.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Amtrak Pennsylvanian!

• Like Like x 1