1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amtrak Acela Express, Ge Genesis, And Siemens Charger For The New York Route

Discussion in 'Loco Suggestions & Proposals' started by Cold Warrior, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Cold Warrior

Cold Warrior New Member

Not that I have anything against the ASC-64. But, you're driving the line you never think where is the Acela Express and other well known Amtrak equipment. The Acela Express US only bullet train. And Genesis and or Charger diesel services. And yes Amtrak does use Diesels into Penn Station.

2. Boyka91

Boyka91 Active Member

See I knew I was rite

• Downvote Downvote x 2
  3. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

Amtrak doesn't use diesels in Penn Station. They're not allowed in the tunnels. You're probably thinking of the P32AC-DM, which is both a diesel and an electric and operates in electric mode only in Penn Station. The Chargers and other Genesis locomotives are not allowed in Penn Station.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. ragn05

ragn05 Active Member

Also the diesel services when come in NEC change the locomotive to an electric one, so the NY part of NEC don't get diesel train

• Upvote Upvote x 2
  5. Cold Warrior

Cold Warrior New Member

I'm not an uneducated railfan. I have read and researched into their operations in the area after seeing diesels in Penn Station on YouTube videos. There are also plenty of reports of diesel fumes in the Station by visitors. Wonder why that would be? Steam locomotives were not allow in Penn Station when PRR was in charge. There is no actual laws against the use of diesels. Penn Station does have some cheap ventilation so Amtrak tries to minimize diesel usage in the Station. Yes the P32AC-DM has the ability to change to third rail electric power but, the electric motor is unreliable. So in those cases diesel power remains in use.

6. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Active Member

One of the seniros use the new sw1000r switcher to go into the tunnels to fetch a acs64 thats brokendown at the undergroud station there.So desiel can use tunnel,when nessary.

7. Cold Warrior

Cold Warrior New Member

Yes I forgot to mention that point. Electric switchers are not a common thing. I know PRR tried some but I don't know of Amtrak owning any Electric Switchers. So any need of a switcher Penn Station is done by diesels.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  8. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Active Member

Most likeley the tunnels have some form of ventolation system to keep tunnels clear of fumes,so as long as deisel use is kept to a minium it won't over taxs the tunnels with smoke and fumes.

9. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

Do you have any evidence for this? I can't find any of the YouTube videos you mention, and I can't find anywhere saying diesels are allowed in Penn Station. And since the switchers only end up there in emergencies, that doesn't really count, does it?

Besides, even if the P32's are in diesel mode sometimes, they would be useless in-game, as they don't really run on any other part of the DLC.

• Upvote Upvote x 1
  10. mrchuck

mrchuck Active Member

And grand Central Terminal also but they switch to 3rd rail

11. kennyjamesscott

kennyjamesscott Member

Without extending the line to be suitable for this those trains there would be no use for those trains in NEC.
    Me too want those trains but the current line in game is even too short for ACS-64.

• Upvote Upvote x 1
  12. kennyjamesscott

kennyjamesscott Member

Actually diesels can be used and are used in Penn Station. And by looking up the various services operating to and from the Penn Station, diesels get used quite a lot, including by Amtrak.

• Upvote Upvote x 2
  13. Cold Warrior

Cold Warrior New Member

There is a law passed about not running steam locomotives into Grand Central Terminal but, it was only specifically for Grand Central Terminal. The law technically did not apply for Penn Station. PRR chose not to use steam locomotives by their own accord into Penn Station. There is no such law for either station diesels.

14. Cold Warrior

Cold Warrior New Member

I agree the line is too short. The Acela Express only stops at Newark and Penn Station on the this route. I just would like to see more on the route than the ACS-64. I not once have I seen an Acela Express service. I really wish the have combined the New York and LIRR routes.

15. Cold Warrior

Cold Warrior New Member

Thank You.

• Upvote Upvote x 1
  16. Cold Warrior

Cold Warrior New Member

What evidence do you have that proves me wrong? There is no legal ban on diesels in Penn Station or Grand Central Terminal for that matter. There is a law in place for no steam locomotives in Grand Central but, it applied only to Grand Central and for Steam Locomotives. PRR chose not to use steam by their own accord.

PRR no longer owns Penn Station, Amtrak do. So believe what you want. Diesels are used in Penn Station. There are even reports of diesel fumes for visitors.

And yes I count the diesel switchers. Unless Amtrak dumb enough or careless enough not to have some spare electric units around in case of a problem. Then they can't be too concerned about diesel fumes.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  17. MrbKlegend89

MrbKlegend89 New Member

I think diesels are used in Penn, probably for the Amtrak via Hudson to Albany, Chicago, and Canada and them....correct me if I'm wrong...oh and sometimes the East River tunnel to/from Sunnyside Yard....I think..but not sure

18. CJM21292

CJM21292 New Member

personally Id like to see either an extension or a stand alone route going from New York Penn Station to Trenton. If that was in place then Id say yes for the Acela but for right now Id want to see the Aem-7 and some Nj Transit commuter trains like the arrow III and Alp-44 plus for the keystone go all the way to Newark Airport.

• Upvote Upvote x 1
  19. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Well-Known Member

The current route has the exact same speeds for Acela and ACS-64. No value comes from making the Acela for the current route, no matter how much we want it.

• Useful Useful x 1