Amtrak Acela Express, Ge Genesis, And Siemens Charger For The New York Route

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Cold Warrior, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Cold Warrior

Cold Warrior Member

Not that I have anything against the ASC-64. But, you're driving the line you never think where is the Acela Express and other well known Amtrak equipment. The Acela Express US only bullet train. And Genesis and or Charger diesel services. And yes Amtrak does use Diesels into Penn Station.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Boyka91

Boyka91 Active Member

See I knew I was rite

• Like Like x 1
  3. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

Amtrak doesn't use diesels in Penn Station. They're not allowed in the tunnels. You're probably thinking of the P32AC-DM, which is both a diesel and an electric and operates in electric mode only in Penn Station. The Chargers and other Genesis locomotives are not allowed in Penn Station.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. ragn05

ragn05 Well-Known Member

Also the diesel services when come in NEC change the locomotive to an electric one, so the NY part of NEC don't get diesel train

• Like Like x 3
  5. Cold Warrior

Cold Warrior Member

I'm not an uneducated railfan. I have read and researched into their operations in the area after seeing diesels in Penn Station on YouTube videos. There are also plenty of reports of diesel fumes in the Station by visitors. Wonder why that would be? Steam locomotives were not allow in Penn Station when PRR was in charge. There is no actual laws against the use of diesels. Penn Station does have some cheap ventilation so Amtrak tries to minimize diesel usage in the Station. Yes the P32AC-DM has the ability to change to third rail electric power but, the electric motor is unreliable. So in those cases diesel power remains in use.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

One of the seniros use the new sw1000r switcher to go into the tunnels to fetch a acs64 thats brokendown at the undergroud station there.So desiel can use tunnel,when nessary.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Cold Warrior

Cold Warrior Member

Yes I forgot to mention that point. Electric switchers are not a common thing. I know PRR tried some but I don't know of Amtrak owning any Electric Switchers. So any need of a switcher Penn Station is done by diesels.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  8. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

Most likeley the tunnels have some form of ventolation system to keep tunnels clear of fumes,so as long as deisel use is kept to a minium it won't over taxs the tunnels with smoke and fumes.

• Like Like x 1
  9. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

Do you have any evidence for this? I can't find any of the YouTube videos you mention, and I can't find anywhere saying diesels are allowed in Penn Station. And since the switchers only end up there in emergencies, that doesn't really count, does it?

Besides, even if the P32's are in diesel mode sometimes, they would be useless in-game, as they don't really run on any other part of the DLC.

• Like Like x 2
  10. mrchuck

mrchuck Well-Known Member

And grand Central Terminal also but they switch to 3rd rail

• Like Like x 1
  11. kennyjamesscott

kennyjamesscott Well-Known Member

Without extending the line to be suitable for this those trains there would be no use for those trains in NEC.
    Me too want those trains but the current line in game is even too short for ACS-64.

• Like Like x 2
  12. kennyjamesscott

kennyjamesscott Well-Known Member

Actually diesels can be used and are used in Penn Station. And by looking up the various services operating to and from the Penn Station, diesels get used quite a lot, including by Amtrak.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Cold Warrior

Cold Warrior Member

There is a law passed about not running steam locomotives into Grand Central Terminal but, it was only specifically for Grand Central Terminal. The law technically did not apply for Penn Station. PRR chose not to use steam locomotives by their own accord into Penn Station. There is no such law for either station diesels.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Cold Warrior

Cold Warrior Member

I agree the line is too short. The Acela Express only stops at Newark and Penn Station on the this route. I just would like to see more on the route than the ACS-64. I not once have I seen an Acela Express service. I really wish the have combined the New York and LIRR routes.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Cold Warrior

Cold Warrior Member

Thank You.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Cold Warrior

Cold Warrior Member

What evidence do you have that proves me wrong? There is no legal ban on diesels in Penn Station or Grand Central Terminal for that matter. There is a law in place for no steam locomotives in Grand Central but, it applied only to Grand Central and for Steam Locomotives. PRR chose not to use steam by their own accord.

PRR no longer owns Penn Station, Amtrak do. So believe what you want. Diesels are used in Penn Station. There are even reports of diesel fumes for visitors.

And yes I count the diesel switchers. Unless Amtrak dumb enough or careless enough not to have some spare electric units around in case of a problem. Then they can't be too concerned about diesel fumes.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  17. MrbKlegend89

MrbKlegend89 Well-Known Member

I think diesels are used in Penn, probably for the Amtrak via Hudson to Albany, Chicago, and Canada and them....correct me if I'm wrong...oh and sometimes the East River tunnel to/from Sunnyside Yard....I think..but not sure

• Like Like x 1
  18. CJM21292

CJM21292 Well-Known Member

personally Id like to see either an extension or a stand alone route going from New York Penn Station to Trenton. If that was in place then Id say yes for the Acela but for right now Id want to see the Aem-7 and some Nj Transit commuter trains like the arrow III and Alp-44 plus for the keystone go all the way to Newark Airport.

• Like Like x 2
  19. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

The current route has the exact same speeds for Acela and ACS-64. No value comes from making the Acela for the current route, no matter how much we want it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  20. buddershark

buddershark New Member

I’d love for them to add the Acela to the route. Although the current NEC New York route extends from Newark Airport to New Rochelle, they could extend the route either further north or south so that the Acela has more stops along the way. It would’ve been nice if they initially included the Acela with the ACS-64s in the scenario though. It would also be cool if they added the charger locomotives as well as the more well known P42 locomotive.

• Like Like x 2
  21. matthewhedley

matthewhedley New Member

I would love to see the Acela Express!

• Like Like x 1
  22. NJ Transit 4045

NJ Transit 4045 New Member

We definitely need some New Jersey Transit locomotives on this NEC route. The ALP 45DP and ALP-46A! EMD GP40 & Alstom PL42AC.

• Like Like x 1
  23. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

I think (but could be wrong) that the US dual mode diesels don't completely shut down the diesel engine while on third rail, instead they are left at idle rather then revving up for traction or hotel. I suspect what eventually replaces them be fitted with preheaters etc so the diesel engine can be completely shut down when on third rail.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  24. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

Hmm, about the diesel locomotives I’m not so sure bout what services would they run, but, if DTG or a third party ends up extending the route, maybe an Acela train could be added?

25. TrainSim_Fan

TrainSim_Fan Well-Known Member

The accella Express wouldn't work as no stops are made along this section other than New York Penn.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Cold Warrior

Cold Warrior Member

Not true. The Acela Express servers Newark too. So you would be kicked out of train at either New York Penn or Newark. Also the Sunnyside yard stores Acela and has maintenance facilities to work on the Acela Express too. You could drive services in and out the yard. Similar to the Keystone Services they added.

• Like Like x 1
  27. TrainSim_Fan

Fine Newark and Penn, short journey for a high speed train. Wont happen, wont be added in game without a route extension.

28. Cold Warrior

Cold Warrior Member

They added the Keystone services. Which you can only the drive the Keystone service between Newark and Sunnyside Yard. They can reuse that programming for the Acela Express.

• Like Like x 1
  29. TrainSim_Fan

The acela is faster than the keystone services, it wouldn't be a long journey, it takes just 10 minutes.

• Like Like x 1
  30. ixofxiii

ixofxiii Well-Known Member

The dual modes used in Penn Station mat at times keep their desiel motors running for HEP but are at a minumum. So no, we will never see the Chargers in them. It must be electric. Just because there's no law, doesn't mean it's permitted. All three railroads that serve Penn station use dual modes (amtrak uses the P32AC-DM, NJT uses the ALP-45 and LIRR uses the DE30AC). Their tractions must come from the electric power supply. Yes, you'll see the occatuinal switcher on desiel. But their idle is limited. How do I know? Well, take it from a New Yorker who frequently travels by rail and has studied to work on one of these railroads (I was a NYC subway conductor but want to "upgrade")
    When I lived in upstate NY, I came back to the city may times. The trains from Buffalo, Niagra Falls and all from Toronto and Montreal swap engines at Albany. ALWAYS. They swap between the desiels used north of Albany and dual modes south. These dual modes are equipped with their rail shoes that flip up. They do this because the third rails in Penn station use an over running third rail (like LIRR, which the Genny dual mode uses) while Metro North uses underunning and are at different heights. If these engines have their shoes down when running on Metro North tracks between Spuyten Duyvil and Croton Harmon on their Hudson line, there will be damage to their thrid rails when the shoes collide with it. Just north of oenn station, the shies flio down for third rail power. There's even a track side sign just north of the tunnel to penn station telling engineers to drop their third rail shoes and swith to electric.
    And it's very rare to see a switcher in Penn station. Switching jobs are done in sunnyside yard. When no switcher is available, amtrak will use an ACS and NJ transit will use an ALP only if electric power is still available, otherwise they will have to call in a deseil switcher. I dont just "know this from YouTube". It's from not only riding them frequently, but you'd be surprised how much info one can get while still in uniform after a shift to travel somewhere. No matter the uniform, railroaders will talk trains easier to a fellow crew no matter which one they work for.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    • Like Like x 2