Amtrak Employee Timetable Speed Limits Boston - Providence

Discussion in 'Creators Club' started by Amtrak_Fan, Apr 26, 2022.

1. Amtrak_Fan

Amtrak_Fan Well-Known Member

As the Title suggests, that is what I have for you today! Now I have made the argument countless times that the speeds on Boston Sprinter for are mostly incorrect with it being made for the Acela instead, but now I have proof! So without further ado, I give you the speed for Boston to Providence!

IMG_3685.JPG
    If your a little confused don't worry, im about to explain it.

Train Types

Train Type A is any train with the tilting mechanism, so the Acela trainset.

Train Type B is the Regional trains, aem-7's, hhp-8's, acs-64's, and the Amfleet coaches.

Train Type C I believe is the p42's, although I'm not 100% sure.

Train Type D looks like the f40ph/mbta speed's, im not sure about that either.

Bold Lettering meaning, and Milepost meanings

The bold lettered milepost numbers mean that the speed limit is enforced between those two mileposts ONLY, while the non-bold milepost numbers are enforced as soon as you pass them, and stay enforced until another non-bolded POST speed limit is enforced. For example when passing milepost 205 on track 2 , the maximum authorized speed is 120 mph for a type B train, however when you get to mp 206.6 you slow to 115 until you pass milepost 207, which is when you can speed up to 120. I know it's confusing, and if you have any questions don't be afraid to ask in the replies.

Now onto what Transfer int., Cv. Hebronville, Tower 1 & Boston, and East Limits Cove is.

Transfer Int. is Mp 218.5

Cv. Hebronville is Mp 193.3

Tower 1 & Boston is Mp 228.7, or Boston south station

East limit's cove & Tower 1 is Mp 228.5

I'd have to look again to find out what Within Limit's cove is so I'll figure that out later on, but what I believe it is is from Mp 228.5 to Mp 228

West Limit's Cove is right after that turn you take going out of Boston Back Bay towards providence

Cove interlocking's limits are from the signals just east of the Back Bay platform to the tri-light signals just west of the really sharp curve approaching Boston. (thank you cActUsjUiCe!)

Now Enjoy My friends! Also tell me if I got anything wrong, ill be looking through the timetable more thoroughly after I get protective sleeves for the rest of the pages!

Last edited: May 1, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  2. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

I’m always a fan of any real world documentation. Might I ask how you got your hands on those?

• Like Like x 4
  3. Amtrak_Fan

A relative I know is an engineer. He didn't have use for it anymore since they are switching over to tablet's for the timetables and manuals so instead of throwing it out he gave it to me. Only thing he was required to keep was the signals which is the only part im missing. But you can find those online!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Lamplight

That’s awesome! Many thanks to you and your relative for sharing this :D
    Do you know which track is no. 1 and no. 2?

• Like Like x 3
  5. Amtrak_Fan

Track one is that Track that you are on when leaving from Boston heading Providence
    Track two is the Track that you leave Providence on heading for Boston

The way I like thinking of it is that if you where facing out of Boston South Station and Where to go down the Mainline that's the way the Tracks would look!

• Like Like x 3
  6. Lamplight

Thanks a bunch :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. Amtrak_Fan

No Problem! Any Time!

• Like Like x 2
  8. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

When I created the route in 2019, I set the track to Type B speeds since the only locomotive we had was the ACS-64. When I sold the route to DTG, they changed all the mainline speed limits to Type A because their policy is that the track speeds must be the maximum allowed.

So yes, the speed limits as they are right now do not accurately reflect how fast you'd operate an ACS-64 in real life.

Cove interlocking's limits are from the signals just east of the Back Bay platform to the tri-light signals just west of the really sharp curve approaching Boston.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Hopefully they use the tech from Dresden Chemnitz to add both speed limits.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Amtrak_Fan

Thank you for the cove interlocking update, ill update that! Thank you for that explanation about track speed as well, it sucks that dovetail put the type A train speeds then didn't bother to make the type B speeds exclusive to the acs-64, but all in all if you know the speeds by heart (or document) it really doesn't matter that much. Those type A speeds do give me hope for an acela trainset though, but we will have to wait and see! Thank you!

• Like Like x 1
  11. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

The core of the game hasn't until recently had a way of supporting speed limit sets on a per-consist basis. It's something I have been asking about for years.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

It does now. Dresden - Chemnitz has separate speed limits for the tilting train.

• Like Like x 1
  13. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

Which is totally awesome. If an Acela is ever developed for Boston, I'd expect similar programming to be implemented. I have no idea how it works, but I'm sure it's not too difficult.

• Like Like x 2
  14. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

DB BR 612

15. Jonne1184

Jonne1184 Well-Known Member

May I ask, if you could scan that page and upload it? Would be handy to have when not using the HUD.

• Like Like x 1
  16. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

Here is an excerpt from the 2018 employee timetable you can use.
    Screenshot_20220502-072011_Drive.jpg Screenshot_20220502-072100_Drive.jpg

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Amtrak_Fan

Right now we can only hope it's being developed!

• Like Like x 1