Amtrak/norfolk Southern Charlotte To Greensboro Nc

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by mrrando19, Feb 15, 2022.

1. mrrando19

mrrando19 Member

Hi today I am suggesting Amtrak's Carolinian and Norfolk Southern from Charlotte NC to Greensboro NC.

What's in the route?
    The route itself would run for 92mi (148km) from Norfolk Sothern's Charlotte yard to Greensboro Pomona yard and Greensboro Union Station. Since the route is a part of NS Washington-Atlanta Main Line the route is very busy with main and local freight. Amtrak runs the Carolinian which begins in Charlotte and has five stops to Greensboro with a travel time of 1 1/2hrs. Amtrak's Carolinian runs 1 daily round trip between Charlotte and Greensboro.
    Here a map of the route:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So what rolling stock will I pick for this route?
    Lets start with Norfolk Southern.
    [​IMG]
    For a mainline loco the SD70ACE
    [​IMG]
    For a local loco the SD40-2 "admiral cab" Also the ES44Ac and GP38-2 could be layered over from Horseshoe Curve for additional services

What about Amtrak?
    The Amtrak Carolinian Uses a P42DC, four amfleet coaches, an amfleet business car, café car, and a viewliner baggage car.
    [​IMG]

Now let's talk DLC
    For DLC I am suggesting Amtrak's state sponsored Piedmont Service. [​IMG]
    (not my drawing) The Piedmont Service runs 3 daily round trips between Charlotte and Greensboro. A typical consist consists of a F59PHI [​IMG]
    And a F59PH
    [​IMG]
    The passenger car consist of 3 coach cars and 1 café car all built by Pullman standard in the 1950s-60s.

Now what about the route itself?
    the route runs for 92 miles with a top speed of 79mph. It is fairly flat but does move between forests and metro areas as you move through the route. Now for some sights on the route.
    [​IMG]
    You start at Charlotte yard with the skyline of Charlotte in the background
    [​IMG]
    Kannapolis Station
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    NC Transportation museum in Salisbury
    [​IMG]
    Salisbury Station
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    NS Salisbury yard
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    High Point Station
    [​IMG]
    Pomona yard in Greensboro
    [​IMG]
    And finally Greensboro Station
    I think this route would be a good fit for TSW2 because of it's diverse rolling stock long route and more Amtrak! It would also be another TSW2 route in the US south but this time from a different angle. Thank you for reading my suggestion and have a great day!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 6