Upcoming Release Announcing The Holiday Express - Runaway Elf!

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Alex, Dec 8, 2022.

1. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Never have I read a post from you more condescending and bitter. Ouch indeed.

Cheers

• Like Like x 11
  2. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

Not sure about Xbox but I'm currently downloading it on my PS5

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. BBIAJ

BBIAJ Well-Known Member

It went live at 10am, though it's been slotted in-between some SnowRunner DLC from five days ago for some reason.

Just searching Holiday Express on the Store should bring it up though.

4. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Got it and had issues on "The Lost Toys" when trying to unload the presents under the tree. Wouldn't let me click on them..

5. marcsharp2

As a child in the 80s, that living room is pretty accurate to how my house was, toys everywhere, a trainset running around. An old computer, love the "Rail fan" book with the old DMU on the cover. A lovely little DLC

Last edited: Dec 13, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  6. marcsharp2

Have to go right near the centre. Then a prompt will appear.

7. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Hmm still can't seem to do it. Can it be done via the camera and actually walking up to them? I see no prompt whatsoever when I move my cursor around the presents.

Edit: got it, I had to turn Objective markers on for me to spot them. Thanks anyway

• Like Like x 1
  8. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

So is it any good or is it 4hrs gameplay and that's about your lot?

• Like Like x 1
  9. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

When reading this reply, I’m kind of glad that the existence of this fun DLC is making you more depressed. Not long now until you can open the H on your humbug advent calendar.

• Like Like x 15
  10. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

This route fun but it can't fit trains past 165 length so most HST types are not not useable.Which make sence i'm guessen they just wreck when going to fast either way.But the UK steam engines look great rolling around this line.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

It’s not making me depressed in the slightest. I’ve got absolutely no interest in it but if people do then I’m pleased for them. I can see the merit in it if it floats your particular boat.

I stand by what I said though. If this DLC is the most fun thing about Christmas day then that saddens me and that is what it is. It might not sadden you, but horses for courses. It’s not meant to be condescending, more concerned.

That aside, I also think there’s more merit in doing something like the Worth Valley Railway for a festive DLC, perhaps even charge a couple of pounds extra and give a portion of the proceeds to the railway itself. Some of them need all the help they can get at the minute.

• Like Like x 3
  12. TrainsMag795

TrainsMag795 Member

Speaking of festive mood! A one, and a two, and a Heigh ho-Heigh Ho, It's off to Cathcart I go. Don't want no sale gotta give me Scotrail Heigh Ho-Heigh Ho.

13. marcsharp2

I've created a scenario with a 47 and 7 carriages.

14. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Must be tough to be rude and depressed at the same time.

I hope Christmas brings a little joy to your bleak world.

• Like Like x 4
  15. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Yes I am sure they could have knocked up the KWVR in the same time it took to make this!

Not sure why there is the need to denigrate other people choices?

I am not sure I have read a more condescending post on here!

• Like Like x 2
  16. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I am sure some come on here just to revel in the angry posts, some posters rarely turn up in the positive threads and if they do it is to moan about something. This thread doesn't fit in with their outlook presumably.

• Like Like x 2
  17. larenasmatias

larenasmatias New Member

can we get TSW3 lightning in TSW2 routes?

18. Crosstie

Not likely. Apparently it would take a couple of years to upgrade all the TSW2 routes. And there's no indication from DTG that this is on the cards.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  19. nepclassof84

nepclassof84 Well-Known Member

20. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

If you read the roadmap article for December, is said dtg have been exploring how to bring volumetric clouds and lighting to tsw2 routes. It said more details would be revealed during the next roadmap and stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Just bought it, but it has a bug in the scenario planner. (reported in in the Technical reports section). I cannot select any trains there.So essentially it is not working and I only can play the scenarios and on foot of course.

22. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I bought it. It’s a bit of fun. I’m surprised that the train controls haven’t been dumbed down further, as the brakes are still the lapped variety. A simple faster/slower control for the included locomotive might have been more appropriate for this, not that any of us should have an issue driving it. I don’t think my young nephew would be able to come to a smooth stop in the F7 as it is. Maybe a bit more gameplay could have been included too, although unlocking the Jeep might just do the trick for something else to do. I like the idea of having scenarios that can be completed all on foot and the lifts are a neat addition for playing as a tiny person, or as the distances lead you to believe, a huge giant’s house.

• Like Like x 3
  23. Thorgred

Thorgred Active Member

will steam get those holiday achievements too?

24. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

upload_2022-12-13_18-33-42.png
    Are you sure about that? Anyway, I'm quite annoyed it isn't available separately, otherwise I would have bought it. But having to buy TSW3 to get it? I'm just not interested, especially for a total cost of £38.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Why would it be available separately? It's....a DLC for TSW3?

• Like Like x 3
  26. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Probably because the older Holiday Express for TSC could be bought and ran by itself without having to buy the TSC package of that year.

• Like Like x 1
  27. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

TBH, given that Mrs Icitr will not feel like getting jiggy on Christmas Day, and with family coming round the alcohol has to be kept in moderation, no, I can’t think of much I’d rather do than drive a train either.

• Like Like x 5
  28. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

Ah, but you’ve thought of two things that are more fun, you just can’t do them :)

That was my point all along of course, but the High-Horse Men of The Apocalypse have ridden in and spoken. I still stand by what I said, and as I’ve already stated (although I’m a bit surprised it needed saying) it doesn’t actually depress me. Of course it doesn’t, it’s a turn of phrase. What is interesting though is that some posters chose to label a person they don’t know as ‘depressed’ then proceeded to poke them with a stick at the same time. Things can sometimes be a bit tricky on the moral high-ground huh?

Anyway that’s enough now as this is wildly off topic. I’m going away to think of fun things to do on Christmas morning.

Merry Christmas.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  29. chieflongshin

DTG Alex just as a feedback, slow down your mouse movement. It was hard to focus on. It's like you're playing Cod :cool:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2022
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  30. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

As said earlier, past holiday DLC for TS was released separately, as was Birmingham Cross-City for TSW3. The Holiday Express makes more sense being available separately than BCC in some ways, such as it appealing to non-train enthusiasts.

• Like Like x 1
  31. chieflongshin

I wonder based on the jeep what vehicle's they're thinking of bringing to the game. The roads are too shocking to drive on so I'm coming back to baggage trolleys or something to load trains.

• Like Like x 1
  32. andrewandjane66

andrewandjane66 Well-Known Member

Having watched last nights stream I can see the appeal now.
    I would imagine this opens up some partnering opportunities. Hornby or Thomas and Friends dlc?

33. Kangaroo Conductor

Kangaroo Conductor Well-Known Member

For the sake of everyone involved and on the forum; don't. UE4 comes with a vehicle controller straight out the package, so there neither had to be much work for it nor the intention to use it for anything past the christmas dlc.

Let's not start to assume things based on that before everyone gets ideas and requests and gets dissapointed.

• Like Like x 2
  34. chieflongshin

Whilst I have zero desire and only stream conversation curiosity based on something said I'll happily play along and start listing vehicles I have no care for

Monster truck
    Alien spacecraft
    Tank
    Low loader

35. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

I did play around with it a bit tonight, a short time killer. I wish some better sounds were used though. Having the freight cars, which look like they are on plastic wheels sets, make the same noise as a regular sized freight train (Which drowns out the sound of the locomotive) is kind of off putting for the toy train idea.

• Like Like x 1
  36. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Same. Not really feeling like getting TSW3 yet, but it would be fun to try this one out.

37. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

Because the target audience is different than you regular TSW. It might be a fun little game to play with your young children, and even people not intersted in TSW might be intersted in this. But those people will not buy the base game just to play this.

38. maz_62

maz_62 Active Member

Its a great seasonal bit of fun, at a very reasonable price, which the kids especially will have a lot of fun with. I’m enjoying wizzing around in the Mastery jeep and running some other rolling stock on the layout now that I’ve finished the main story and found the 20 coins. Will it get a lot of use no but it’ll definitely get some play time next December. Developers should be applauded for trying something different especially as I can see this introducing a younger audience to TSW which can only be to the good of everyone.

• Like Like x 2
  39. raretrack

raretrack Well-Known Member

Just downloaded this and played the scenarios. As a middle-aged man I'm not sure I'm the target audience, but I enjoyed it hugely. For train-minded kids this will be superb. A lot of thought has obviously gone into it.

And TBH the shunting scenario was more rewarding than some of the 'real' ones in 'proper' sims, some of which have you ending up with the same consist order you started with :)

Well done, DTG!

• Like Like x 1
  40. SHINO BAZ

You know this isn't a bad deal at 9.99 (or whatever the conversion rate) it has lifts and jeeps to drive and some other fun train functions coal loading anyone,you could easlier spend 39.99 and feel cheated by a normal routes issues at least here you get alittle more for less.

41. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Has anyone yet mentioned the greatest selling point of the DLC, that the wagons will substitute onto OSD?

Cheers

42. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Maybe a milk float, as seen on one of Matt's own streams for TSC years ago (at least I think it was on one of his streams).

• Like Like x 1
  43. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

EVERYTHING subs onto OSD. Tragically, the only route where that's true.

44. SHINO BAZ

Has anyone notice that the caboose from the holiday dlc is missing from SP options.
    You have the
    F7A+B
    The bulkhead flatcar
    The 2 bay hopper
    But no red caboose.

45. StormFront345

StormFront345 Member

The coal wagons sub on to Sandpatch Grade, but alas, the Rockwood Mine refuses to load them. I don’t think the Toy F7 would make it to the top with out helpers though.

46. Crosstie

Again!!