Ap Class 40 Overheating

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by inversnecky, Jan 15, 2021.

1. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

Has anyone here experience driving the Armstrong Powerhouse Class 40?

No matter how slowly I accelerate, or how long I coast with throttle idle, the engine temperature consistently rises and always overheats after maybe 20 mins.

Has anyone else encountered this? Presumably there’s an issue with my driving technique, but I’ve just no idea how to overcome this problem and I’m at my wits end :)

I’ve read and reread the manual to see if there’s any pointers, but all I can see is a warning that overtaxing the engine at low speeds can cause overheating, so why should the engine temperature continue to rise and rise when it’s running/coasting at a very decent speed and the throttle is low or off?

It’s a shame, as it’s an amazing loco. (Yes, vents on side are open!)

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

No such problems here. It gets hot in summer if pulling a heavy train up inclines etc, but just back off power a little. What scenario are you playing? Season? What are you hauling etc? I'll see if I can replicate it here.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  3. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

Thanks for the offer, Pookey, but I managed to solve it:

Thinking that the radiator shutters were the only logical culprit, I experimented with the Page Up/Down keys and it turns out that the radiator shutters weren’t fully open at all, though I thought they were.

If I make sure to press page up on every cold start, then the problem is solved. No overheating any more, even with a heavy load on an incline. Engine stays in the green zone.

Looking at the pictures, what to me would look like open vents are actually the closed position, and vice versa.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

I think I gave you the wrong info re key commands for opening the vents for which I apologise M'lud.
    In mitigation, it has been a while since I have driven it, It was my first loco purchase from AP.