Armstrong Powerhouse Wip Dlc News

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blazin, Apr 6, 2022.

1. hayward.john48

hayward.john48 Well-Known Member

Can only agree, you are singing to the choir but the apparent thought lines seem to be if it ain’t 21st century no one will want it - tell that to the likes of Caledonia Works (if it ain’t 19th century I’m not doing it - lol).

• Like Like x 1
  2. Craigie-C

Craigie-C Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more, personally my favourite go to trains are anything pre-2000 era. I don't really find the modern stuff as challenging to drive. I still enjoy the DTG 101 / 105 DMU's but to have an AP version to the quality of their 411 offering would be just amazing.

3. hayward.john48

Yep, always room for improvement but you can’t improve what isn’t there.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

Nope. I just am doing video of the original trains first before installing the EPs (though I had installed the standalones previously, like the 37 and 150/2, and swapped them into some scenarios). It's taking a while to get to them the way I'm doing it. But I have plans to break out the first one soonish, and last nite just realized I might be able to do a dummy install so I can have a folder for each version to just swap as needed in the event the original comes up in an official scenario somewhere. As for getting around to them: I can plan for them if I have them, but if I don't have them, they just don't happen, period.

See, you should find out why someone thinks or does things the way they do instead of suggesting they are trying to stir the pot and cause trouble. It may not make sense to you, but there are reasons.

Last edited: May 14, 2022
  5. TundraFire

TundraFire Member

AP have said older stock does not sell as well as the modern stuff.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. hayward.john48

More likely it is less profitable because it is more difficult to research and record. If older stuff didn’t sell why enhance 45 year old Mk3s.

• Like Like x 2
  7. TrainsAreBest

TrainsAreBest Active Member

I would have thought it's blindingly obvious why most of the 1st gen DMUs haven't been produced and neither have the dinosaur diesels, and that's because NOBODY IS INTERESTED IN THEM. Except for a handful of diehards on this forum, which doesn't make a market.

I'm also amused at how a thread on AP WIP news has been hijacked into a wish list of things that AP have not announced as WIP and almost certainly never will.

Guys, set your expectations to zero on this. The world does not share your interest in them.

• Like Like x 2
  8. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

You could have said the same about Mk1 and Mk2 DEF stock which got their own packs.
    Mk3 stock was in service until a few years ago and still is on special trains.
    Also those people running WCML North and WCML over Shap plus GEML have improved vehicles to use.

• Like Like x 2
  9. hayward.john48

I don’t dispute anything you have said my point is that it is not true that only the new stuff sells, there is a market for 20th century items and not just for that built in the last 10+ years.

10. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

It must be really nice to speak for the world. Of course, what you really mean is that YOU have no interest in them, and for some reason you assume your opinions are shared by everyone else, which is obviously nonsense. Their appears to be more in here that want them than not, based on the feedback every time the issues is raised, so I'm a bit baffled as to why you are so confident that you speak for a majority.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Pookeyhead

It would be easier, as there are many preserved units with much easier access. It must be much more difficult to get access to new, frontline, in service vehicles than it is older, preserved, and privately owned stuff.

12. Pookeyhead

Then you have to wonder why they did the 37, or the 205, or the 455.. or the 31, or the 50... or any of the other old 1st and 2nd generation rolling stock...Or the Mk1 coach pack, or the Mk2 packs... or even this upcoming Mk3 pack, which is a coach that entered service in 1976. Clearly... it does sell, or they wouldn't make it.

13. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

I think a lot of people are forgetting that AP are not 3D model creators they rely on outside modellers to build the base for AP to then sprinkle the magic onto.
    So I don't think it's fair to complain about AP not creating new content when he tweaks already available content up to the standard we all now crave and depend upon.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. TundraFire

TundraFire Member

Everything you mentioned saw service well into the 90s and post-privatization. When I said old stuff, I meant stock that retired around sectorization. That stock is what AP is unlikely to do.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Pookeyhead

They did the class 40? (shrug)

16. TrainsAreBest

Because I base my judgment on observable facts. If there was a demand for them they would have been made, that's the way a free market works. It's you who is wrongly thinking your desire is held by everybody else. There are at most half a dozen posters where seem interested in them. Out of how many board users? Out of how many TSC users? There is no evidence of widespread demand for them.

Businesses have made a few early DMUs, and not made any more. Why do you think that is? Businesses have made early diesels and not made any more or ceased trading. Why do you think that is?

As I said, my advice is to set your expectation to zero on their development. That will allow you to move on and enjoy other subjects that are made.

17. Pookeyhead

But my opinion is not based on what I alone want, it is based on the fact that every time this comes up, the majority of respondents are in agreement. What you fail to realise is that Richard has gone on record many times to say that he makes what he wants to make, not what people actually want, so sorry, in this instance, you are incorrect.

Based on the fact that you clearly aren't in full possession of the facts I'll take a rain check on your advice if that's OK. Plus, anyone who gets all shouty and starts typing in both capitals, and bold is usually just full of hot air and likes to win internet arguments.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Craigie-C

Craigie-C Well-Known Member

How about setting up a new thread with a poll to see how much interest there is in this era of DLC? We could then define whether it is just the half a dozen of us or maybe a heck of a lot more. Also remember there is possibly a heck of a lot of players that don't regularly post on this forum.

• Like Like x 2
  19. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

It is strange then that classic diesels on the mainline and in diesel galas attract lots of attention, it is strange that there are multiple threads on this forum asking for BR modernisation period releases, it is strange that in the model railway world classic diesel period routes are very popular, if as you assert NOBODY IS INTERESTED IN THEM! Bold capital letters do not make your point any more valid.

It is also strange that AP have in the past released these unpopular dinosaurs like the class 37 pack, the class 411 pack, the class 205 pack, the class 86 pack and still sell the first generation DMU pack and others, and, if I recall AP have recently recorded some more class 117 sounds!

20. cscarpenter

cscarpenter Well-Known Member

Looking at the screenshot threads on this forum I would question your argument, the AP Class 37 is always up for grabs as are most of the iconic Diesel Dinosaurs as you like to refer to them.
    In my personal opinion the AP Class 37, 50, 205, 40, etc. is why I still play TSC
    (The AP 411 EMU is possibly the highest quality DLC available for TSC)
    I cannot remember the last time I played a DTG scenrio with basic stock..
    To me TSC has become the platform for me to run amazing 3rd party stock on. Yes they come at a price but worth every penny.
    As has been stated before if you want Rolls Royce quality, be prepared to spend Rolls Royce prices.
    I do not agree with moaning about the price of DLC that has taken months if not years to develop and costs less than a night on the town for most folks but can provide years & years of pleasure.

• Like Like x 2
  21. Cyclone

What did I just walk into...

22. TrainsAreBest

Seems to me your presenting more evidence that early BR stuff won't be produced, you're saying that if AP isn't interested he's not going to make it. His current output shows he's another to add to the not interested list then. And as the preferred developed that's a serious problem for those who want early stuff. OK, he might yet have a damascene moment and embrace early stuff, but on the basis of what he currently produces I think that's about as likely as the sun rising in the west.
    So what? What evidence is there the interests of trains simmers and heritage railway enthusiasts are closely aligned? I suspect they're not. In any case I'm not talking about classic diesels, I'm taking about the dinosaurs from the 40s and 50s which somebody mentioned above. Seen many Class 22 at galas? The Class 37 is still in mainline service so modern use, not a dinosaur.
    I can't see any point in doing that. It's going to be less than 10 posters showing interest, and your last sentence shows why any poll here will be unrepresentative.

None of you have been able to explain why the limited previous releases of early BR stuff hasn't resulted in more recent releases. I'd have thought the explanation is obvious; they didn't sell well because in general nobody is interested in them.

23. Pookeyhead

Possibly, but not for the reason you are suggesting. You claim NOBODY IS INTERESTED... which is obviously nonsense.

Like the steam dinosaurs you seem to enjoy? You seem to think that people are only interested in what is currently in mainline service for some reason. You like steam... steam is not in mainline service. You also seem to have being in "mainline service" as the metric for whether something is a "dinosaur" that no one is interested in or not, which is clearly the biggest load of manure I've ever heard.

Sorry, but I can't take you seriously when you come out with stuff like that. Suspect all you want... do you have anything to back that up? No one cares what you suspect, as you are not the arbiter of such things. Facts would be nice. Do you have any of those?

Last edited: May 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  24. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Well as none exist then the answer is no, although there is a group planning to build one.

[/QUOTE]So what? What evidence is there the interests of trains simmers and heritage railway enthusiasts are closely aligned? I suspect they're not. In any case I'm not talking about classic diesels, I'm taking about the dinosaurs from the 40s and 50s which somebody mentioned above. Seen many Class 22 at galas? The Class 37 is still in mainline service so modern use, not a dinosaur.[/QUOTE]

What evidence do you have that they are not?! We are all rail enthusiasts. There are plenty who want to recreate the railways of old not just the railways of now. Maybe you don't but that doesn't mean your opinion is more valid or more valuable than any one elses!

I suspect, however you are just being deliberately obtuse.

Last edited: May 15, 2022
  25. SJA

SJA Active Member

AP tend to mix it up a bit anyway, producing "big", highly anticipated releases, sandwiched in amongst coaching stock packs and wagons.

The 205/Thumper pack was a little out of the leftfield according to some of the standards defined in this thread. But at the same time, besides access to concrete reference materials and sounds (sounds which already exist for some of the first gen DMUs mentioned previously) maybe AP/Richard just pace themselves and keep something in the tank for future revenue spikes.

There isn't yet a new Turbo or Turbo EP, but people have been begging for one for years. I'm sure that if it's doable, it'll happen eventually. The same may very well be true for the first gen units too. Some of them saw service into the very late 1990s/early 2000s, on commercial routes that currently exist within the simulator.

26. Cyclone

Ironically enough, I know there was a Workshop route where it would run perfectly,. so turns out the 205 was a good addition. Despite having discussed the route with its maker at one point, I won't say more beyond that, but it's currently not available on the Workshop at this time as it's been worked on a lot since it was posted there.

27. Blazin

Blazin Well-Known Member

Armstrong Powerhouse has been making all major liveries and variants of the Mk3A-B Coach, they have shown a screenshot of a Chiltern Railways Plug Door Mk3 Coach. They have said they just need to do work on the audio a bit more and then it should be done.
    51B1B5A1-1051-4A8D-ADE2-614723504291.jpeg
    The Mk3A-B Enhancement Pack is now a Coach Pack, they have worked out an agreement with Dovetail Games to include everything you need for the Mk3A-B Coach Pack is in the pack itself, no requirements needed.
    D0FDA9B3-2FB0-4FAA-8141-17E57AAD5D7A.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  28. Cyclone

Your word of the day: "delectation".

• Like Like x 2
  29. Pookeyhead

Here's what will happen. They will release this set... then update their own scenarios to include them, and then everyone will complain about it. You read it here first ;)

• Like Like x 4
  30. Cyclone

Still the one thing I dislike, "updating" old scenarios unnecessarily. At least it's a self-contained pack, but yeah. I already redownloaded everything, so provided a spider doesn't crawl through my PC and eat a cable anytime soon, I should be good without them being updated. Maybe.

31. Pookeyhead

If I'd just bought the MkIII set, I'd WANT them to update their scenarios.

• Like Like x 3
  32. Cyclone

Yeah, at the risk of alienating people who don't want their purchased scenarios touched. Would do them well to include basic and enhanced versions like JT does, but I know that's a lot of extra work as well if developing them again from scratch instead of testing swapped stock versions.

Of course, the much larger market likes having them edited because they buy the day something comes out, so there is that. If the new stock is only scenic, that's fine regardless, just a blurb about missing stock. In fact, I would suspect most stock additions like this ARE scenic, otherwise the scenario would need full testing again if stock is changed in something vital to the scenario.

Last edited: May 27, 2022
  33. USRailFan

USRailFan Active Member

They could have the installer offer to install assets only, or "full install" (i.e. scenarios too). Would likely solve it for most people.

• Like Like x 2
  34. Cyclone

Personally, I just wish the original scenarios stayed put and they updated alternative copies of them. Then everyone is happy.

35. USRailFan

USRailFan Active Member

Sorry but I'd rather have scenarios being upgraded than ending up with 6-7 99% identical versions of the same scenario

36. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

If you have the original scenarios you are not forced to update them.

37. Cyclone

Right, but my PC drive stopped working, remember? Would like to get my hands on the originals again in some cases.

38. Pookeyhead

I hope you have back up now.

39. Cyclone

I hope I can get the old ones with an enclosure. At least gets the old scenarios.

40. Pookeyhead

Huh?

41. Cyclone

Hard drive thing.

42. Pookeyhead

43. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

When I download something from a third party, such as AP or Just Trains, I keep the exe file(s) on a separate external drive so if I have to reinstall TS, as I did when I changed my Railworks Drive, I have them.
    If you don't save what you get from outside the Steam process you are asking for problems

• Like Like x 1
  44. Pookeyhead

^This.

Everything downloaded is saved, mirrored to another drive, then backed up to two separate RAID5 servers. Same with my Railworks folder.
    No one takes back up anywhere near seriously enough. I appreciate that the lengths I go to are not for everyone (I only have this set up because I need the redundancy for work) but at least budget for a second drive purely for this reason, or better still a NAS in another location within your home.

BTW, if you back up stuff to another drive in the same machine, it's not really a back up. Better than nothing, but not really back up. If someone breaks in and nicks your PC they nick your back up as well.. same with a house fire, or severe physical damage for any number of reasons.

45. Cyclone

That is exactly what I do.

Issue is, I thought I had these backed up. I'd backed up some old extra stock packs I managed to get my hands on (even researched them to find stock for someone recently), but the payware installs did not get in there for some reason. I'm questioning myself on why that happened, trust me.

As I said, once I get a hard drive enclosure, I'll be retrieving them. We'll see from there.
    Problem is my backups are also in the same house. So yeah, all my backups would be hosed. LOL

46. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  47. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  48. Pookeyhead

In a way, I'm glad because they usually look awful and not even slightly convincing, and if you have any ambient occlusion set, have a black halo around them when on the external views.

• Like Like x 1
  49. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

Does that mean you will be editing bin files, Peter? ;)

50. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

You have just giving AP a new idea for a few volume packs. AI passengers volume pack lol

in all seriousness though this is possibly a minor niggle of mine as well woukd be nice to see passengers on board

• Like Like x 1