PC Atc Speed Restriction At Interlockings

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Kentolsson73, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Kentolsson73

Kentolsson73 New Member

When switching tracks the normal procedure is that one get an approach limited/medium aspect, followed by a limited/medium clear at interlocking. No problemo so far.
    However all guides and rules I read says that once clear of interlocking, normal speed applies.

NORAC RULE #243: Next Governing Signal also says that you are allowed to operate
    according to the indication of the next fixed signal once you can see it clear if youre clear of interlockings and not in restricted speed.
    How can I use these to my benefit when ATC still keep me in Approach limited aspect and CDU show 45mph until I passed next signal.
    As I understand it I should be allowed to acc up to normal speed (line speed) once clear of interlocking.
    But how am I supposed to do that when ATC wont let me?
    Hope you get my point and understand what i wanna know.

2. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

DTG still hasn’t got the system quite right. cActUsjUiCe can answer your question, better than I could.

3. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

Disregard NORAC Rule #243 when moving through an interlocking.

So let's go through this step by step. Let's say you're heading east to New York City and are passing through Secaucus station. Bergen interlocking (the one before the curve where you enter the tunnels) is lined for a diverging movement from No. 2 track to No. 3 track. Bergen is equipped with #20 turnouts which means you'll be making that movement at no more than 45MPH. Limited speed.

At a signal beforehand, you'll get Approach Limited. You acknowledge that signal and begin slowing to 45MPH.

So now you reach the west limits of Bergen. Limited Clear. You pass through and move onto No. 3 track. But you're still in the interlocking.

Since you're still in the interlocking, Limited speed still applies. You cannot begin accelerating past Limited Speed until two things happen:

1) The entire train clears the interlocking limits
    2) The cab signals show an aspect more favorable than Approach Limited.

Rule #243 can't really be taken advantage of in cab signal territory. You always have to obey the cab signals or risk ATC giving you a penalty brake. In real life if a fixed signal ahead gets upgraded (like from Approach Limited to Clear), the signal block you're occupying will get upgraded one step too. Unfortunately I don't know if the signal programming is at a point yet where the cab signals will dynamically upgrade or downgrade based on current block conditions. I believe the cab signals currently will only change when transitioning between blocks.

Good question by the way. Let me know if my answer was unclear at all.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. Kentolsson73

Kentolsson73 New Member

Thanks a lot for clearing that up :)
    Quite challenging route but thats the way I like it. And NEC is in my opinion the best DLC so far. All signals and frequent changes in line speeed make it really fun and interesting. Even if its not perfectly implemented yet, I personallly wouldnt even consider run with safety systems turned off.
    Lets hope DTG fix the issues through the tunnels so we soon can drive the route as were meant to and maybe even be in New Rochelle on time ;)

• Like Like x 2