Authenticity Improvements For Existing Historic Routes (uk)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Tank621, Feb 5, 2022.

1. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

Right, as we are aware the UK currently has 3 BR Era routes plus the Diesel Legends Add-on. (I am going to overlook IoW because it's not really relevant to my points, likewise for the upcoming SoS). Now each of these 4 add-ons have a number of shortcomings when it comes to traction and rolling stock which I, amongst others, would like to see improved.

Now I will preface this by saying these may be dependent on wider issues within the game being resolved. The main one being the predicament with having services unable to be replaced by services of a different number of coaches (or so I understand it), which has previously caused difficulties with the Class 313, hence the 2 timetables for East Coastway. Perhaps this is why some of these suggestions are not yet present in the game.

Now for the suggestions, I'm going to try to limit this specifically to existing content, so will not be suggesting new Locomotives or Multiple Units, that is not the point of what I am trying to suggest. That being said I will suggest some 'new' content in the form of minor changes to existing content.

Togglability:
    This is the core underpinning to my suggestions, that users are able to fine tune their timetable experience. This will enable users to tailor their experiece to their desires, some of us may prefer a more authentic experience whilst others may be happier to have more variety at the expense of authenticity, for example the layering on WCL.

Now I suggest, for simplicity's sake, that this simply consists of Default, Rare and Off. I think these options would best apply to groups of services rather than having to manually select each one.

The idea of togglability is that although there are inaccuracies in the default line-ups such as the 40s and 45s on WCL but these do not have to be taken away from users who do not mind their usage and would like to continue doing so.

For example, on TVL I may want to set 3-Car Class 101 formations to Rare so the majority of services will be run with 2-Car units. Whilst on WCL I may want to switch the 40 and 45 to Off for a more authentic experience.

Formation Changes:
    Smaller changes to rolling stock and consists to improve authenticity.
    • WCL: Brake Coaches for Loco-Hauled Services, Mk1 BGs will suffice until a more suitable option is available.
    • WCL: Option to remove the 40 and 45 from spawning (see under Togglability heading)
    • NTP: 3-Car Class 101 Services
    New Layers:
    There's a reasonable chance these may be on the already but may as well suggest them while we're here.
    • NTP: Class 31 Loco-Hauled Passenger Services, (four coach stoppers was I believe the typical use for these on the route at the time) and Class 31 usage for freight services
    • TVL Engineering services with WCL Wagons (I'm assuming this is authentic due to eras, correct me if I'm wrong).
    • TVL: AI Mainline ECML services, now for passenger services I'll suggest the Class 47 and the Mk2s (until a better alternative is available), as for freight I have no idea what they could look like, but I'm sure between all of the locomotive and wagons we have at our disposal across NTP, TVL andWCL there's surely some approach stock for these.
    • DLoGW: Correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't been able to play the game for a while and so I'm not sure, but are there still no freight services for DLoGW? If not, they'd be very much appreciated.
    • TVL+WCL: Again, correct me if this is already a thing but having the ability to use the 37s interchangeably, and spawn on each of the routes (probably as a fairly rare chance) as AI would be nice.
    Content Modification
    • DLoGW: BR Blue Class 101
    • WCL: Would the current DLoGW Class 101s be more appropriate here than the NTP ones? I'd assume yes but I'm not sure if they are in too old a configuration.
    • WCL: New Mk2s. Right this one is dependent on whether we get new, more appropriate Mk2s in the future but if and when we do they should replace the current Mk2s and on the AI services on TVL if and when they exist.
    Right, that's all I've got for now, if people have other suggestions feel free to add them and I may put them into the main list, remember I'm not trying to suggest new loco add-ons for these routes, the Mk2s being an exception there as a key change if it becomes an option.

Also, if people can clarify aspects I am unsure of due to currently being unable to play the game I'd very much appreciate it and will update the list accordingly.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  2. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

The Class 31 and 3-car Class 101 were not made available on NTP due to them being underpowered and lacking the ability to keep to the timetable, so I've heard. I agree there needs to be a way to toggle off certain layers, they can be somewhat immersion breaking for some people. Solving the dependency of train formation substitution being of the same length would open up a lot of possibilities as well.

Personally I would like to see the DLoGW trains make an appearance on WCL, placed in duplicate (and separate) timetable.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Could just add a couple more Class 31s to the consist to make up for the lost power?

4. AirbourneAlex

That would fall into the consist length limitation. The substitution system cannot swap out a Class 47 for a double headed Class 31.

5. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

So, the substitution system should be improved then, to offer more flexibility. :)

• Like Like x 2
  6. Tank621

I was about to say that sounds a little excessive for a 4-Coach stopper and then realised that expresses and freight are a thing and that's probably why they aren't powerful enough

7. Tank621

That's the big conundrum really, it's the reason why the 313 introduced a second timetable for ECW, they simply couldn't get services of different numbers of vehicles to work. Hopefully it can be resolved at somepoint it will open up a lot of potential.

8. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Good point but how about this idea Combine Class 31 with Class 45 locomotive taking advantage of their Blue Star MU Code.

9. AirbourneAlex

Again that likely wouldn't be possible as you're using two locos in place of one, even with compatible couplings/MU codes.

I don't know how technically challenging it would be, but a consist could always include several 'ghost' locos/wagons (i.e. ones that do not show in-game but register as a vehicle in a consist to the computer), used to trick the substitution system into replacing one of these with an extra 'visible' loco/wagon (trains may stop at incorrect stop markers however).

• Helpful Helpful x 1