Awesome Tsw Service Mode Runs

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by JustWentSouth, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I took my first full spin on the " new " SEHS today and I must say I was more than a little impressed. The route is much improved visually and audibly.

But what really caught my eye was the dynamic weather on this run. We started out at St Pancras with overcast skies. By the time we emerged at Ebbsfleet it was starting to rain and when we reached Rochester it was pelting down with rumbles of thunder in the air.

But then at Sittingourne, the rain had eased somewhat and by the time we got to Faversham, the rain had stopped and we enjoyed bright sunshine.

This is how the dynamic weather should work in my view, it seemed very much what you would experience in real life. I was very impressed.

The other neat touch was that you saw people actually in the act of opening and then later folding their umbrellas at the appropriate times. I hadn't seen that until now.

I hate to say anything negative about this run, but, once again, the streets of the Kent towns were deserted. Not a soul walking to the shops or pushing a baby carriage or walking a dog. This is an enduring omission in TSW, which I had hoped would be a feature of the upgraded game.

When will TSW come to life?

We know it's possible. As far back as Heavy Haul/ Sand Patch, there were people strolling around. Not many, for sure, but why did the idea fade away in the 5 years since then? Go figure.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
    • Like Like x 7
  2. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I couldn’t echo this more. I’m aware through observations made that people exist outside stations in the real world

• Like Like x 2
  3. simontreanor81

simontreanor81 Well-Known Member

This was absolutely superb.

• Like Like x 2
  4. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

With the latest update, Cajon makes an appearance on the list and the new SEHS now has more than a dozen recommended services while the list of runs on Nahverkehr Dresden continues to grow:

TSW3 Recommended Service Runs:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...4lUuBrw-k2_y7FxuzH6mZ1m3Qu4YTfLViTfxQ/pubhtml

TSW Compatible Recommended Service Runs:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet..._wzt7qTCooxSTBW8pGAwYLs_ohsdDOcQOuZ4A/pubhtml

Chaos Runs:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...yCTbHVZrwBSBUUkPiiJGlTWfRXexfPn7kBVDw/pubhtml

As always, let me know if I missed anything or if there is an error.

• Like Like x 3
  5. TheRealisticAussie

TheRealisticAussie Member

I played two services on Cajon Pass last night and it's definitely worth sharing.

Route: Cajon Pass
    Loco: BNSF ES44C4
    Season: Summer
    Duration: 3 hours
    Services Part 1 17:30 M-BARSBD4-05b Manifest from Barstow to Los Angeles & Part 2 M-BARLAC5-04b 18:52 Manifest from Barstow to Los Angeles,

Details:
    You will start in a maintenance shed in Barstow. Set up the Loco, move the train to the siding, and couple up to your consist. An LA-bound grain train will pass you while coupling up. When you arrive in Victorville you will likely have a 20 minute break and once you get moving you should have a nice sunset going through Hesperia. Once you reach the summit it should be dark. Now if you time this right going down the mountain a manifest train will catch up to your train and you will have a race going down the mountain. If you're lucky you will meet 2 other trains at the same time. These services provide plenty of AI services as well. Enjoy. TSW3_TheRealisticAussie_1663884806_00-min.png

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. JustWentSouth

Nice run! The Charity Javelin Part 5 is also excellent. Tons of AI, some AWS action, and a nice ending.

7. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

That train is actually made up of two parts 1F96 to Ore last 4 carriages and 2C96 to Seaford first 8 carriages.
    It's the East Coastway 2C96 service where you follow a Newhaven Marine train which itself is held up twice. I got a Class 313 run

• Like Like x 1
  8. driverwoods#1787

Want an early morning action from Hoo Junction run the 00:15-00:20 Hoo junction Freight to Dartford
    First a lengthy Wait at the junction from Hoo Junction Yard to North Kent Line. Second, it's the alternating Green and Yellow signals from Hoo Junction to Dartford.
    Remember to use the Good timing Brake function and You get to pass Class 465/9s towards Gravesend from Charing Cross. For my Run, I don't know how to set up the Class 66 SEHS Train length indicator system.

9. Tanglebones

Tanglebones Well-Known Member

This is how I learned to do it. Sorry, don't have time to look for the timestamp.

• Like Like x 2
  10. JustWentSouth

Excellent video from a real world 66 driver on the route. The train length explanation starts at 25:45.

11. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

TSW3 Southeastern High Speed: Hoo Junction Shunting 14:05:00!

This is, as far as I know, the first DTG timetable session in which 2 shunting engines are working in the same yard area simultaneously with the possibility of the AI shunter interacting and potentially interfering with the driven shunter. If you aren't aware of this situation, you will wind up in this predicament:
    Image1.jpg

Yes, that's you in the cab looking at the second shunter, which is blocking your path! This happens after you have coupled to a single wagon, coupled it to a long rack of wagons, uncoupled from all wagons, and returned to a designated location: Hoo Junction Siding 30.

. . . Are you still with me?

This embarrassing moment is avoidable, but you have to keep an eye on other traffic in the yard and . . . well -- I'm not going to reveal everything just now. I'll just, for the moment, thank DTG for this wonderfully complex shunting puzzle.

• Like Like x 6
  12. LastTrainToClarksville

I forgot to mention that you should select the SECOND Class 66 EWS in the list, which is the one packaged with SEHS in TSW3 and which has Freight brake timing pre-selected.

13. JustWentSouth

I ran the 6E92 Grain Aggregates to Ferme Park at 00:11. It was a nice run, but I don't think it was the one you have recommended. Do you have train number for your run?

14. driverwoods#1787

It is the one I did And basically you are forced to wait at the Red light Protecting the yard from the mainline for 6 min However I could not get the Train length indicator setup correctly.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
  15. raretrack

raretrack Well-Known Member

Great work, thanks. Are these available to download as well, please?

• Like Like x 1
  16. JustWentSouth

• Like Like x 1
  17. JustWentSouth

The run was pretty clean for me last night. Perhaps I left a just a little early or it changed with the patch. I suspect that it ran just like:
    6M95 Grain Aggregates to Neasden Engineering Sidings at 10:43.
    There was a wait at the start to clear Hoo Junction and some adverse signals towards Dartford.

As for the train length indicator, it worked well for me. Just set it up in the upper left box. The indicator needs the train length in feet and the information provided as you start gives you the train length in yards. When you want to measure, push the yellow button in front of the direct brake once to arm it and again to start counting.

18. driverwoods#1787

Ok then and mine was before the patch where I had a yellow signal from Ebbsfleet to Dartford which caused me to slow down

• Like Like x 1
  19. raretrack

raretrack Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  20. JustWentSouth

I ran and enjoyed this several times. First, it is possible to avoid all trouble by hustling through the scenario. However, an AI train arrives at Hoo at 14:21:30 and then the fun begins when the AI starts the Hoo Junction Shunting Service at 14:24. You can use save game to play it out several ways. If you get stuck, you can just take over the AI, turn on the Electro-Motive panel above the windshield, cut in the brakes, and move out of the way. That was fun. Thanks!

Here is the latest update:
    TSW3 Recommended Service Runs:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...4lUuBrw-k2_y7FxuzH6mZ1m3Qu4YTfLViTfxQ/pubhtml

TSW Compatible Recommended Service Runs:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet..._wzt7qTCooxSTBW8pGAwYLs_ohsdDOcQOuZ4A/pubhtml

Chaos Runs:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...yCTbHVZrwBSBUUkPiiJGlTWfRXexfPn7kBVDw/pubhtml

I rearranged the listings to keep the locomotives together. I don't think I dropped any runs doing so, but let me know if there are any errors or I left anything out.

21. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Had a challenging run on Cajon that i will recommend:

L-SBDHES3-04b Local Service San Bernardino-Hesperia- 07:53
    Power: SD40-2 x4
    Type: Mixed Freight
    Weight 4400t
    Length 679y
    Duration +/- 2 hours

This is the first part of (i think) 4 related services that take you from SBD to Barstow and back. Long climb up the pass then watch your dynamics approaching Hesperia and careful stopping on a 1% downslope on the derail siding. Not sure exactly how close you need to get. I stopped at a little over 100y and it didn't register so i had to let it roll a little and ended up going about 10y past the marker.

• Like Like x 1
  22. JustWentSouth

I just ran my most enjoyable SKW (KWG) service yet:

IC60401 Hamburg-Altona to Zurich HB with the 101 at 02:05

You get to take full advantage of all the improvements cwf.green has made to the 101 (https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/tsw3-br101-changelist.58759/) including the fact that you can take over the LZB braking curve by beginning with an application of electric brake only. This "uncoupled" brake application disables the AFB and you become responsible for following the LZB curve. When both the Train Brake and the Electric Brake are released, AFB becomes active again. See number 12 in the lead post of that thread.

So, the challenge of the run is to do it managing your own LZB braking curves and arrive as close to on time as possible. The best I could do is a 2:45:15 arrival time, a little over two minutes late.

One of the absolute best German locos has gotten even better and this run will put it and you to the test.

You catch up to a freight about 15 km outside of Fulda. The challenge is to be smooth yet still not get a penalty brake by falling too far behind the braking curve.

• Like Like x 6
  23. OpenMinded

OpenMinded Well-Known Member

I have enjoyed this service as well. It really is a very tight schedule, on this one. Played it twice after the update.
    Both times I got held up by a fright service in front of me, which I am catching up with approx 15km ahead of Fulda. Its really nice to try and not do the zigzag speed profile, which LZB and AFB would do, if you would not intervene. After all, its a night train, you want to give the passengers an as smooth ride as possible:) My best time was only 2:45:50...
    upload_2022-10-2_21-15-53.png
    EDIT: ups, sorry for the spoiler, only noticed it now... edited accordingly
    EDIT EDIT: you pass an ICE3 at approx 2:20. Anybody knows what service this is supposed to be?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  24. Jon from Rhode Island

Jon from Rhode Island Well-Known Member

Here's a great one from the Dresden/Chemnitz route (DCZ) for someone looking for a challenge. Definitely not for beginners.

#RB30-17307 (06:30): Chemnitz-Dresden BR143

This is an unusual setup consisting of a BR143 in the lead and only two doppelwagons. As such you are riding with more power than you need and therefore need to take care to keep the ride smooth and comfortable on the numerous hills while stopping at short platforms every few km. This is an excellent crash course in how to balance the speed selector and force selector on the 143. The dynamic brake is very strong; conversely, the train brake is very weak. You'll be constantly fiddling with your power as you react to speed changes and prepare for stops.

If you can keep to your timetable, you might as well apply for a job at DB. I ended up ten minutes late into Dresden, even with perfect weather.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  25. JustWentSouth

This is such a difficult engine to master, particularly on a route like DCZ. Here’s a nice guide on “How to Drive the 143 Like a Boss” by breblimator :
    https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/br-143-how-to-drive-like-a-boss.52336/

• Like Like x 2
  26. Switches3

Switches3 Well-Known Member

Route: Great Western Express
    Loco: Class 66
    Service: 6M91 Theale to Earles (Cement)

Freight run goes smoothly until you reach Langley where you will follow behind a Class 166.
    upload_2022-10-7_22-34-41.jpeg

27. pommesgaming#8962

pommesgaming#8962 New Member

One run on CJP I really enjoyed was the 2nd part of U-LACPHX5-05 (starting at 5:16) from Victorville to Barstow in the ES44C. It's a nice calm run and if you set it in September you'll have the sun setting the whole way through with it coming over the horizon around 10 miles before Barstow.

28. JustWentSouth

I have enjoyed the Dispolok light loco runs on SKW, but need to caution against 67144 service at 21:33. It has a great start and appears to continue straight into a unit freight run coming back the other way, but falls victim to the LZB bug that affects 182 runs in the second cab. I look forward to stringing those runs together when a fix comes.

For now, I want to recommend:
    SKW 68532 Burgsinn to Wurzberg at 12:02

This run has a nice ICE meet followed by some wrong line running. (Athough, it is not clear to me why the service is routed on the wrong line.) There is some LZB action and, as always, it is key to manage your own braking curves by getting ahead of the AFB. If you want to change the ICE meet location, you can simply start rolling at 12:08.

And now, after nearly 4000km on SKW, I feel the need for a bit of editorializing:

Is SKW boring?, Uh, no . . .
    I read a lot of reviews and comments about how boring this route is. Just set the AFB and the throttle to max and sit back and watch the train. Well, if you really want to do it right, it can be much more immersive and challenging than that.

The idea is to make it a smooth ride for your passengers and get to your destination on time while conserving as much energy as possible.

So, to do that, you need to run your own LZB braking curves. This requires that you anticipate changes in speed soon enough such that you can apply gentle braking rather than have LZB take over end “spin your dial” abruptly and deeply into negative territory. Passengers don’t like it when you spill their drinks!

Also, doing it right requires that you not always run at the maximum permitted speed, particularly when you are approaching the crest of a hill. Take the throttle down a bit so that you are anywhere from 10 to 15 kph below the speed limit at the crest. This way, you can coast down the hill and ideally be just below maximum speed when you reach the bottom, never touching the brakes.

Finally, transitioning the throttle as your train ends a downhill and starts back up again requires a bit of finesse to keep things smooth and not lose too much speed.

All this requires route knowledge and a bit of concentration, making you SKW runs very immersive. It is possible to keep to the timetable and keep the flailing hand of AFB off your throttle and brakes.

If you think SKW is boring, give this a try. It’s your train. Take control of it!

• Like Like x 5
  29. JustWentSouth

30. OpenMinded

OpenMinded Well-Known Member

Oh yes, could not agree more with this statement! I absolutely love SKW, especially the cargo runs. I am enjoying the fact that hardly any of those runs are the same. Sometimes you are pulled into sides, sometimes you are waiting 20 minutes until you are allowed into a station... cant get enough. Only problem is the time it takes for those rund to be completed, but with save game that is not an issue any more;)

Regarding 67144, it still is possible to do both runs. On the way to pick up the cargo, you have to drive using PZB only. As it limits you to 160kph, you will be slightly late for the return leg, but it does still work...

And, yes, the routing seems quite random at times. I have had the instance with a freight train that, while entering Fulda (I believe), I was several times taken off the main line, brought back on a couple of switches later, just to be brought off again a bit later.

• Like Like x 1
  31. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Well-Known Member

If you have the RHTT pack then I can recommend 3S75 parts 1, 2 & 3.

You start at Rochester and head down to Sittingbourne in part 1 then a short run from Sittingbourne to Faversham in part 2 and if you return to free roam after part 2 you can shutdown what was the lead loco and the RHTT equipment before setting up again in the loco at the other end before heading back up to Rochester.

Various signal checks in part 1 which can be challenging either if you want to stop at a red and have to turn off/on the water jets or if you want to keep rolling and not turn off/on the water jets.

Part 3 also includes a couple of signal checks and then an EWS 66 running around it's train at Sittingbourne and meaning you get a red whilst it crosses onto and back off of your line.

• Like Like x 1
  32. mbjbjm#7281

mbjbjm#7281 Well-Known Member

Am I missing something here? I’ve done both routes with the recommended time settings and I didn’t see anything?

33. Joethefish

Joethefish Staff Member

Do you own Köln-Aachen?

34. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

It’s an ICE 3, right? Saw a picture of one at St. Pancras here on the forums recently and was already wondering if they’d snuck it into the timetable. ;)
    If so, is there a time of day (and month) where the ICE can be encountered at the platforms somewhere?

35. Joethefish

Joethefish Staff Member

October-November, there during daylight hours :)

• Like Like x 4
  36. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

Thanks Joe! Will check it out :)

37. LastTrainToClarksville

I ran the first part of this series and found the term "change ends" somewhat confusing: in some cases it referred to the ends of the engine itself, but at others moving to the engine at the other end of the train. Your enthusiasm will lead me to rerun this activity in an effort to understand this better and then proceed to the other parts.

38. Joethefish

Joethefish Staff Member

Moving a loco to the other end is known as a "run round". So in this case you only need to "change ends" by leaving the cab and going to the cab are the other end of train. Hope this helps!

39. LastTrainToClarksville

As a long-time train simulator driver, I've come to learn that "run round" (or, more commonly, "run around" means uncouple from all cars/wagons, move your engine to the other end of your train (using adjacent tracks), and re-couple to its opposite end, whereas "change cabs" means move to the other cab of your engine and "change ends" means move to the engine at the other end of your train.

40. LastTrainToClarksville

Well, I started the first service in this series just following the on-screen directions except to change the brake timing from PASS to GOODS and, of course, inserting the reverser handle, setting it to forward, and, when instructed to do so, releasing the brakes and advancing the throttle. After driving for a while, however, it struck me that another series of unmentioned instructions needed to be followed: setting up and activating the RHTT controls. How did you handle this?

41. WaveyDavey

The first of the scenarios using the RHTT shows you how to setup the jets from the controller in the cab.

• Like Like x 2
  42. LastTrainToClarksville

Yes, of course, I know that, I wrote that I set up the system while waiting for permission to depart -- if you're going to criticize my post at least read it carefully first.

43. WaveyDavey

Crikey take a chill pill…..

Anyway…. No you didn’t write that you had already set up the RHTT equipment. “Well, I started the first service in this series just following the on-screen directions except to change the brake timing from PASS to GOODS and, of course, inserting the reverser handle, setting it to forward, and, when instructed to do so, releasing the brakes and advancing the throttle”. As you can see you only mention setting up the loco to drive you mention nothing at all about setting up the RHTT equipment so maybe reread your own post……..:|

Not sure why you seem to think I’m criticising your post by just answering the question that you asked….. “After driving for a while, however, it struck me that another series of unmentioned instructions needed to be followed: setting up and activating the RHTT controls. How did you handle this?” And having read your post again the answer I gave still stands….. By playing the initial RHTT scenario. :|

Last edited: Oct 16, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  44. deeuu#6908

deeuu#6908 Well-Known Member

I tried this one this morning, first part is fun, but the 10 min wait in the middle is a bit of a chore, but that isn't the biggest issue, when I get to Ashford (I can't remember the exact time, around 9:50am) it says I have to wait until 6:32am the next morning!

45. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

I feel you- some of the waits are an extreme chore on this route.
    The worse ones are where you wait and once the wait objective is complete you move onto another wait.
    Wishing for a fast forward button.

46. allan758

allan758 New Member

It's a while since I played that trip, but if I recall correctly, the objective at Ashford does complete eventually without you having to wait the full 20 hours...

As for the time in the loop, I suppose this is giving the full train driver experience - it isn't action all the time, there's plenty of waiting around too. The price we pay for accurate schedules!!

47. JustWentSouth

Awesome indeed! And a great introduction to the Cajon Pass route for me. Thanks!

48. LastTrainToClarksville

Yes, the RHTT activities sometimes involve waiting -- and this strikes me as logical, since track cleaning, although necessary from time to time, surely has to be at the bottom of the priority list. I've had the same experience as allan758 reported.

49. driverwoods#1787

Harlem Line Budds to the City M3A is another Rush Hour Style Run. For those that don't own the Harlem Line, I'll put it in Spoilers.
    From Crestwood to Melrose/Botanical Gardens you must deal with PTC Train speed reductions. The reason for this is that you are dealing with Yellow Green and red signals. In the end an express run from Botanical Gardens to Grand Central via Harlem 125th

50. JustWentSouth

That was a great set of runs!

If you want to add a bit of Westbound Cajon Chaos, you should begin in part 2:
    MBARLAC5-04B 18:52 Manifest from Barstow to LA.

About 7 miles from the summit, shortly after you pass milepost 50, you will see signal at WBCS Lugo.

Start slowing down as you reach the crossover. You need to bring your train to a stop such that your rear end is beyond the signal, but not through the crossover.

Get out of your cab, walk back the length of your train, and wait by that signal. Don’t give up control of your train. At around 19:37 or
    so, your new ride will pull up to the signal and stop. It is M – HOUSDG6–04 manifest from Houston to San Diego. This is what the scene should look like:

Cajon Chaos.png
    The hopper is at the rear of the train you were driving. The loco beside you heads the train you will take drive to San Bernadino. This is a good point to use the Save Game feature.

Get in the loco, take over, cut the brakes in, apply the independent brake, release the train brake, and be ready to go. You will get the green as soon as the train you just gave up clears the crossover.

You will catch up to and pass the train you gave up before the summit. After the summit, it passes you. There is also eastbound traffic waiting at the top.

The ride down can be exciting with a 7000 ton train going downgrade. Depending on how you handle it, you may have a bit of a logjam at San Bernadino. Handle it better than me and you won't have to wait for all your brake cylinders to recharge after dynamiting the train.

Have fun!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2022
    • Like Like x 1