Awesome Tsw Service Mode Runs

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by JustWentSouth, Dec 4, 2020.

1. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

Here's my first BRO service recommendation - and as a bonus it's a freight two-parter!

DGS 52710 - Emden Rbf to Bremen Rbf (Part 1 & 2)

The above was an absolute pleasure, saw some really interesting traffic and part 2 ended where I did not expect it too! For context, I played this service with the BR 187.

Part 1 (1215hrs)
    You start this service - a car freight train - at Oldenburg Hbf. There is a 101 already at Oldenburg but, as you depart, you are greeted with another 101 which arrives which is pretty cool to see. The rest of part 1 continues to Hude and remains uneventful at this point.

Once you arrive at Hude, you pull into a siding and, depending on how fast you got here, you'll have between a 5-15-minute wait before part 2 starts - but don't go anywhere! There is a lot of trainspotting to be done, starting off almost immediately with a 101 service that had followed you from Oldenburg. You'll also see a couple of 110s and a 612 too which is great!

Part 2 (1245hrs)
    Once you start part 2, what I thought was really interesting - and I'm not sure how rare this is - but the service ends at Track 51 to the north of Bremen. For context, as you approach Bremen from the Oldenburg line, there is a junction, you either head right (southbound towards and through Bremen Hbf), or you turn left (northbound to join the mainline going away from Bremen Hbf) - as such, DGS 52710 Part 2 goes via the latter route. This was very interesting as this section of track runs parallel with the mainline so lots more AI traffic to be seen, for instance I was overtaken by another 101, this time which had just departed Bremen.

Overall, a really good two-part service. The game says it will take 37 minutes combined, although as I was under PZB Mode U, I had a top speed of about 75, so it ended up being around an hour instead!

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. Haribo112

Haribo112 Well-Known Member

Thanks Joe! You’re amazing. I will look for them next time I play.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Haribo112

Haribo112 Well-Known Member

Ah I did find them! They are only available if you select the 155 PRESS Blue. I have seen other locos sub in for them, but we as the player can not choose the services using other locos. Quite strange.

I haven't driven the loaded coal train yet, but I did spawn in it to check out the consist. Apparently a single BR 155 is supposed to pull 30 coal wagons with a whopping 4300 tons of train weight. Let's see how that goes.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2023
  4. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 4
  5. lcyrrjp

lcyrrjp Well-Known Member

On SEHS:

1S99 12:06 Rochester - Faversham, and
    1P99 19:00 Faversham - Dartford

These are the steam specials on TSW3 (they'll only appear if you have SoS). Now that the boiler pressure issue is fixed they're well worth a try. Both are interesting runs with plenty of signal checks.

Note that since the patch, as on all steam runs on TSW3, if you're playing with manual fireman you have to open the firebox (press and hold F) now and again, otherwise you get a 'Service Failure'. I'm not quite sure whether that's a feature of a bug, but it's no great hassle.

• Like Like x 1
  6. cloudyskies21

Have been enjoying a lot of the German content recently, and have some interesting services to recommend:

As TSW has more content, it's nice when you can complete the same service on multiple routes. For example, most recently, if you notice on Bremen-Oldenburg there is this freight service:

DGS 43821 - Bremen Grolland to Verona Quadrante - 2108hrs

This is only a short service of less than 15 minutes and passes through Bremen Hbf. Please note: This service does not work by spawning from the timetable menu as there is a BR 363 that is stuck ahead. As such, spawn on foot at around 2105 and your freight service (including the loco) comes from the portal being pulled by the 363, this then departs and goes back via the portal.

Anyway, what is interesting about the above service is that it's seen again on Kassel-Würzburg as one of the night time services, playable between Fulda and Wurzburg:

43821 - Bremen Grolland to Verona Quadrante - 0324hrs

I completed both with the 187. I really love when there are different routes with the same services!

Elsewhere, have been enjoying many of the 101 services again recently. For those who haven't already, I highly recommend one of the unique 101 services on Kassel-Würzburg; this was my first time using LZB with this loco which was interesting:

IC 2082 - Berchtesgaden to Hamburg Altona/IC 2084 Oberstdorf to Hamburg Altona - 1438

I really wished there were a couple more daytime 101 services on Kassel-Würzburg - what I liked about this service, apart from the 101 of course, was seeing a lone 182 pass en-route; also, if you select January, and mostly clear weather, the sun sinks lower in the sky as time goes on to have some nice lighting by the time you finish.

• Like Like x 5
  7. cloudyskies21

Time for some more German service recommendations. I've recently been enjoying the BR 110 on some of the other routes and it certainly brings some freshness to passenger services.

My recommendation is actually two, however it's technically the same service as you'll see below:

RE 1 - 1054hrs - Bochum-Duisburg (bound for Aachen Hbf) on Hauptstrecke Rhein-Ruhr (HRR)

RE 1 - 1310hrs - Koln to Aachen on Schnellfahrstrecke Köln-Aachen (SKA)

These services form part of the same RE 1 service to Aachen Hbf for those who like immersion. As mentioned, the 110 is a joy and is quite a challenge when using LZB without AFB on SKA, plus with its limited 140kph speed, and getting use to the tap changer again, meant I was nearly 10 minutes late by the time I reached Aachen. With the two services, this is just under 1hr 30mins of gameplay - highly recommended!

Just as a bonus, on my return trip from Aachen back to Koln, I chose the unique, sole BR 101 service on SKA - IC 1941 - Berlin Ostbahnhof to Koln/Stuttgart Hbf - 2054hrs. This was my first time with this service, and wow, at 14 coaches (plus a pair of 101s), this was epic. The first part of the journey you follow one of the regional services before later reaching 200kph under LZB - arriving into Koln was nice and busy too. I really wish there were more 101 services on SKA!

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. yardem

yardem Well-Known Member

Just finished Berta Coal Loading, a scenario hidden in the F7 timetable of Clinchfield. It does not appear in Scenarios, and it does not appear in Journeys.
    It was an interesting service, involving loading coal at the Berta Junction. What makes it interesting, in my opinion:
    1. the location: you need to pay constant attention to signals, and talk a lot to the dispatch.
    Expect to be denied, as there are two trains on the mainline you must wait for.
    2. the coal loading facility has a very short track, which complicates things.
    3. tracks have different grades, you need to be careful with the brakes.

The timetable says 31 minutes, but I needed ~50 minutes to complete (speed was not my goal).

• Like Like x 2
  9. JustWentSouth

I really enjoyed putting these services together and continuing a run across multiple routes. I also love driving the 101 under LZB; a relatively new feature allows you to temporarily disable AFB by applying just the electric brake which gives you control over the braking curve.

Another great service pair! And, the 110 under LZB is so enjoyable to drive. I also like driving the 187 with LZB and, as of now, the AFB on the 187 is not working properly. I have found it more enjoyable that way and have become quite a fan of LZB without AFB. I also recommend it for the 401 as well.

As for the IC 1941 service with the 101 on SKA, if I had to pick a single favorite TSW run, that would likely be it.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
  10. cloudyskies21

Indeed! If you find any other good examples of such continuous services then I'll be happy to hear.

Ah right interesting, never knew of this, thanks! I do find it an uncomfortable feeling some times waiting for LZB to brake. :D

Yeah it's interesting without AFB, and certainly brings a new challenge to some of the same type of services. Indeed, it's frustrating about the 187 AFB, hopefully will be fixed, but nonetheless it might still be my favourite freight loco.

Agreed, and just 14 coaches is impressive alone! Recently I've been playing with the 101 nearly exclusively across all different German routes and apart from the Electrostars, the 101 has become my favourite - I really hope some newer routes can focus around this loco in particular.

• Like Like x 1
  11. GarethDavies21

GarethDavies21 Member

Some fantastic services on this thread!. Keep it up :).

• Like Like x 3
  12. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Here's one from Riesa-Dresden the 08:47 Dresden Riesa freight service if you leave 3-5 minutes late from Dresden Hbf adverse signals will be encountered from Dresden Freiburger Strasse to Dresden Neustadt or Radebul Ost. That freight train is PZB Mode M 120 kmh due to it having unloaded Zacns tankers. I used RSN 185.2 although it can be operated by 182 185.5 185.6 143 and Rallion 185.2 from Main Spessart Bahn or Kassel Wurzburg with an LZB switch. On Afb try putting it 5 kmh below when you are around yellow signals then once clear freight max speed.
    I learned (UK Australia and Europe Learnt) the 5 kmh Afb on PTG Rail Riesa Dresden Hudless

Last edited: Jan 28, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  13. JustWentSouth

Here's a nice run on EDG (EDN? EGW? SEG? - have we settled on one?)

1R55 Edinburgh Waverly - Glasgow Queen Street at 12:14 with the 385

If you are on time, you will see your first red just outside of Croy and have adverse signals the rest of the way into Glasgow.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  14. JustWentSouth

Great run to Roderau. As a bonus, I got some adverse signals outside of Coswig as I caught up with a Großenhain service. I used the 187 and left AFB off.

With that, we have the latest spreadsheets:
    Google Published Documents:
    TSW3 Recommended Service Runs:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...4lUuBrw-k2_y7FxuzH6mZ1m3Qu4YTfLViTfxQ/pubhtml
    TSW Compatible Recommended Service Runs:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet..._wzt7qTCooxSTBW8pGAwYLs_ohsdDOcQOuZ4A/pubhtml
    Chaos Runs:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...yCTbHVZrwBSBUUkPiiJGlTWfRXexfPn7kBVDw/pubhtml

Excel Spreadsheets:
    TSW3 Recommended Service Runs
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...ouid=108028767534258522758&rtpof=true&sd=true
    TSW Compatible Recommended Service Runs
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/14YgilvnKZFc7TJXyqftRJ0I5yTMlMf81/view?usp=sharing
    Chaos Runs
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cMKrwNA2OmZz8tVEQo1_FZnRZXpNT463/view?usp=sharing

• Like Like x 1
  15. driverwoods#1787

How was that run without AFB I used AFB and PZB on my run. If the Service spawns with RSN 185.2 change PZB mode from U to M

16. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

I finally completed it: TSW3 --> Cajon Pass --> Barstow Switching 1!
    After multiple failures (about which I've also posted), I came up with a new theory and decided to pay homage to an old adage: "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again". In past attempts, I had always as summed that failure resulted from driving too slowly; my new idea was that I'd been driving too fast!
    First, a bit of information about this service: it involves yo-yoing racks of freight cars around the mammoth Barstow yard while other engineers attempt to do the same (sometimes with a higher priority than yours). On this run, I also had the pleasure (or torment?) of dealing with extreme winter weather:

TSW3_TAPper_1675092959_00.jpg
    [This isn't the worst of the blowing snow and fog, just the most beautiful!]

As had happened previously, when I began to approach my final destination, another train appeared, heading across my path; this time, however, I was able to spot it (yes, in the map view) and stopped to let it pass me.

If, like me, your railroading passion is switching, you're sure to enjoy this run -- just keep in mind that sometimes the tortoise defeats the hare.

• Like Like x 2
  17. cloudyskies21

Some more German recommendations, one each from high-speed and freight which I really enjoyed.

The first of these is from Schnellfahrstrecke Kassel-Würzburg:

50060 - Landshut to Wanne Eickel (Würzburg to Fulda) - 2356hrs - important note: The service info from the timetable menu is listed wrong; it says it goes all the way to Kassel with a duration of 2hrs 25mins - however it actually finished at Fulda after approximately one hour.

Anyway, despite the incorrect info, the journey between Würzburg to Fulda is a real challenge in the BR 155! Without AFB or using the HUD, the constant change in gradients can be tricky when under LZB, but is really rewarding once you finish. Also, once I reached Fulda, after a few freight trains that passed by, it was great to see/hear the 101 Autotrain speed past!

My second recommendation is from Hamburg-Lübeck (HBL):

ICE 1582 - Munich Hbf to Lübeck Hbf (Hamburg Hbf to Lübeck Hbf) - 1258hrs

This was a really enjoyable service and really makes this route a joy to play thanks to its busy timetable and variety; the ICE and IC services are perhaps my favourite on HBL. Anyway, returning to the aforementioned service, once departing from the super-busy Hamburg Hbf, the initial part of the journey is normal, however you will eventually catch up to one of the Regional services, so expect quite a few adverse signals which is a challenge. Once you reach Lübeck, the station is quite busy with the 101, a regional service as well as a freight train that arrives too.

• Like Like x 1
  18. OpenMinded

OpenMinded Well-Known Member

Today I found my favourite service on BRO, to date.

BR110: T 66307 Bremen Hbf Nebengleis - Oldenburg (Oldb) Hbf - 20:44hrs

You start off in the single loco, as you still need to couple up to the wagons, which you have bring empty to Oldenburg. I played this in winter, with a full snow cover, but with no clouds, however, as it is not too late, you should be able to also play this in summer with the last light of the day.

Anyway, what I liked about it was the train spotting, which was possible, as well as the many red signals along the way, as you are following an RE and and ICE service to Oldenburg. Also, as you are not following a timetable, you can switch HUD off completely and simply using this:
    PC - Book Timetable / Ebula For German Routes | Dovetail Games Forums

After coupling to your wagons, you will be held for an ICE crossing your path, from right to left, into platform 2. When you are then pulling forward into track 4, you are being overtaken by a single loco on the right hand side. To the left, on platform 3, there is an RE service to Oldenburg. Both, the RE and the ICE are leaving ahead of you, so you can imagine that the track to Oldenburg will be quite busy. While waiting, you are being overtaken, again on the right hand side, by a mixed fright train, which also carries on straight, through Bremen Hbf. Along the route you will see many trains, including a light fright train, hauled by a 363.

When you get to Oldenburg, you can theoretically carry on with the service, bringing the BR110 onto the other side and returning with passengers to Bremen. I believe after arriving back in Bremen you are actually parking the service again (I have not done that yet, though)

All in all, this was the service with the most variety I have seen so far. Really enjoyed it, especially with the winter setting...

• Like Like x 5
  19. driverwoods#1787

Here's a GWML London Paddington to Reading special run
    07:42 2G06 London Paddington to Greenford
    You will encounter a red signal due to the 07:42 London Paddington to Reading getting the Priority over you. Once it has left Paddington Station you get a green and the entire trip to West Ealing will be a mix of Yellow signals and Green.
    Here is my Driver debriefing log for 2G06
    Web capture_2-2-2023_17464_live.dovetailgames.com.jpeg

20. JustWentSouth

That was excelllent! I enjoyed the AI at Bremen so much, I ran the first part twice. The first time I got slotted behind the ICE. The second time, I started more quickly after the red at Bremen cleared and it let me out in front of the ICE service.

21. OpenMinded

Find it quite nice that the signaller is flexible enough to make these kind of decisions! This combined with the timetable mode makes TSW so amazing, in my eyes…

• Like Like x 2
  22. OpenMinded

I know, looks stupid replaying to your own post... but I would like to add to this:

If you finish T 66307 in Oldenburg and remain in the loco, you will, indeed, change your loco to the other side of your wagons (light loco BR110 Service at 21:27). The time for this is a bit short, especially as you are held for 2mins every time you change direction. On top you should try to run this according to the rules (PZB on, shunting speed, lights on both sides), which adds to your delay. Oh, and dont forget to switch the lights on in the wagons...

Once coupled to the wagons, you are late for the next service (BR110 Service RB 14839, at 21:35, Oldenburg - Bremen). Once back at Bremen, you are parking the train exactly where you have started off.

I found this round trip really great. Something which I have never seen on any other route. Bringing the train to live, go somewhere, come back, bring it back to sleep, all within under 2hrs. This, paired with all the AI in between, the coupling / uncoupling at each side made this definitely my favourite on this route!

• Like Like x 3
  23. JustWentSouth

One other bonus to that round trip: if you wait until just after 21:40 to couple up to the consist, you potentially encounter the drawbridge while leaving with the return service. There are so many really interesting aspects to BRO services.

• Like Like x 4
  24. Isaak

Isaak Well-Known Member

That was a very fun service trio. I just bought BRO today in the Steam sale, and I did these services immediatly after the BR 110 training module. I departed with more than 10 minutes delay at Oldenburg, but only arrived less than 2 minutes late at Bremen. Passengers might 've had a bit of a bumpy ride, but if they made their connection in Bremen that was worth it, wasn't it? ;) Thanks for the recommendation!

edit: I really like the BR 110! The sounds, the handling. It's a fun locomotive. And the limited view outside the cab makes it very hard to spot speed limit plates, it really requires your full attention. I once more am very happy with my TrackIR as it helped a lot to peek out of the window to check on switch directions and shunt lights.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
    • Like Like x 5
  25. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

For owners of the 182 Dispolok and 182 MRCE there are two exclusive services at BRO that can only be performed with these locomotives.
    The idea of this is that we are going to drive it isolated to Oldenburg for a livery repaint and once the work is finished we are going to return it to Bremen.

Once again, thanks to Joe for always thinking of ways in which he can include services in the timetable so that we can have a wide variety of services both playable and AI. I will never tire of telling him that I love him for what he makes me enjoy with his work :)

I will start with the return, T 66396 at 15:55 with 182 MRCE, as there is not much special about it, although it is always fun to enjoy the power of this locomotive, which as a child she dreamed of one day becoming a Formula One car.

Where I really had fun and it became a challenge is on the journey to Oldenburg, T 66391 at 8:29 with 182 Dispolok. I chose custom weather with a rain storm for more immersion.
    Quickly prepare the locomotive and set PZB O for more fun and difficulty and depart at 8:32:00 to enjoy a short parallel trip with a BR 110 that is arriving in Bremen.
    From here, be prepared for a PZB festival for a large part of the route.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
    • Like Like x 5
  26. driverwoods#1787

Well said and in some cases you get a 185.5 185.6 instead of 182 for the same run.

27. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Changing the mood here. I just ran a 377 service from Brighton to Seaford on the East Coastway, with a train split at Lewes. I hadn't been on this route for a couple of years, so I was reminded that it is quite well modeled.

There were plenty of speed restrictions and reds/yellows here and there, so it was quite an interesting, if short, ride.

I must go back to this route more often.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Isaak

Isaak Well-Known Member

Can you share the service number/time?

• Like Like x 1
  29. cloudyskies21

Had just recently completed this service - absolutely awesome and certainly didn't expect as many adverse signals at that time of night with all the freight trains and light locos. It certainly demonstrates why the BRO timetable, in my opinion, might be the best in TSW only second to London Commuter!

Another TSW route I have really enjoyed playing a lot again is Köln-Aachen (SKA). One of my favourite services from this is ICE 13 - Frankfurt Hbf (Aachen to Koln) - 0940. You start at a quite busy Aachen Hbf (one of my favourite stations in TSW, looks great) with an arriving freight train and Talent 2. Once underway, about 5-10 minutes later I noticed hot air balloons in the sky - first time I've ever seen such with SKA and was nice to see! Towards the latter part of the service, LZB gets quite busy with a few red signals which is interesting. Finally, you arrive into a busy and epic Koln Hbf with a departing Aachen-bound 146 service, as well as seeing a 425, 101 and loads of 423s. SKA is one of my favoruite all-time routes in TSW because of services like this, enjoy!

• Like Like x 2
  30. JustWentSouth

This ICE run was one of the few I hadn't done with New Journeys Expansion pack. It was really good and took me longer than the 32 minutes that was advertised. I tried to be on top of the LZB braking curves, so I was less efficient than if I had just let everything alone, but I had more fun and perhaps made the ride a bit smoother.

I had forgotten that in SKA you need to set the direction and then raise the pantograph and close the circuit breaker on the 406. This is not needed on HHL for me.

I keep coming back to SKA and really enjoying the variety of services, safety systems, and trackage. I somewhat surprised myself when I looked at my route mileage totals and found SKA well out in front.

I have also really enjoyed the service runs on BRO having just now gotten to the scenarios.

One scenario I enjoyed was Stormbringer with the 425. A little wrong line running with adverse weather, adverse signals, and a loco that feels like an F1 machine after driving the 110 and cab car.

• Like Like x 2
  31. driverwoods#1787

You are correct and if you play that out it would have been like this the Grain Train first Horka Grenze Bahnstrecke Roßlau Hoyerswerda Kohlfurt Emden however it gets stuck Bahnhof Bremen Neustadt. Service is DGS 47618 Horka Grenze Brake Bahnstrecke Nordenham Hude. Followed by a regional and the ECS move

32. JustWentSouth

TIme for a spreadsheet update. Let me know if you see any errors or ommissions.

Thanks to all who have posted runs. If you enjoy a run that someone has posted here, be sure and give it a like to thank the person who took the time to post it and to let everyone else know what a great run it was.

The latest spreadsheets:
    Google Published Documents:
    TSW3 Recommended Service Runs:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...4lUuBrw-k2_y7FxuzH6mZ1m3Qu4YTfLViTfxQ/pubhtml
    TSW Compatible Recommended Service Runs:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet..._wzt7qTCooxSTBW8pGAwYLs_ohsdDOcQOuZ4A/pubhtml
    Chaos Runs:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...yCTbHVZrwBSBUUkPiiJGlTWfRXexfPn7kBVDw/pubhtml

Excel Spreadsheets:
    TSW3 Recommended Service Runs
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...ouid=108028767534258522758&rtpof=true&sd=true
    TSW Compatible Recommended Service Runs
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/14YgilvnKZFc7TJXyqftRJ0I5yTMlMf81/view?usp=sharing
    Chaos Runs
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cMKrwNA2OmZz8tVEQo1_FZnRZXpNT463/view?usp=sharing

• Like Like x 1
  33. cloudyskies21

While one of the oldest TSW routes, Ruhr Seig Nord (RSN) is one of my favourites of all time thanks to some stunning scenery and very interesting and varied service types. I'd love to see more such routes in TSW like this, and similarly Dresden-Chemnitz, in the future.

I highly recommend this freight service:

DB 80401 - Finnentrop to Hagen - 12:04hrs

It's a great service for several reasons, namely it isn't just a typical A to B and also it also takes quite a long time, I completed after 1hrs 32mins with the BR 155 Press.

• Like Like x 1
  34. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

A nice one. I had done it long ago in a 185, but the 155 makes it a lot more challenging (as did the thunderstorm).

But conceptually it makes no sense. You haul 10 empty Habbiins from Finnentrop to Plettendorf, drop them off, collect 15 empty Habbiins, and drag them to Hagen. Why? If they were loaded, or one string were loaded, it would have a purpose.

• Like Like x 1
  35. cloudyskies21

Thanks, yeah the 155 and the tap changer is a bit of a learning curve - I assume you had dynamic weather enabled... :D What was your overall time? I think if I remember correctly the timetable menu service length is 1hrs 12mins.

Much agreed, it does seem quite pointless.

36. mattmag

mattmag New Member

After reading about your challenge, I decided to give it a shot also. Naturally, I figured I could do it on the first try.....Ummm no. There is quite the combination of going fast then slow then hurry then wait, and finally I managed to find clear passages to all points of the yard, and reached completion. I have to say it was frustrating, and to the point of "I'm done with this crap", but I kept coming back and got the job done. Whew..... Thanks for sharing that one.

37. JustWentSouth

In anticipation of the Acela - I have been looking forward to it for a while! - I am running Boston Sprinter and I found this gem of a Northbound run:

Amtrak NE Regional #66 Providence to Boston at 06:57 with the ACS - 64.

I ran it looking for landmarks I could use to anticipate speed reductions for the 150 mph top speed of the Acela. In the process, I got some bonus action:
    You come to a stop outside of Canton Jct waiting for an MBTA service to clear. There is plenty of congestion approaching Boston.

• Like Like x 2
  38. driverwoods#1787

You can continue that with the Boston Depot Regional 66 turn around. If you play that you encounter heavy AI Traffic from South Station to Southampton St Yard. When I played it in TSW 2 I waited for AI Traffic to pass me and be sure to use switches for the correct path Otherwise AI will hit you and fail. Sadly I failed to complete the service because the game routes you onto a closed door back in TSW 2 also TSW3 if unfixed

• Like Like x 2
  39. Ewan M

Ewan M Member

Does anyone know how to activate the Acela’s safety systems on Xbox Series S? I’m having issues trying to do so

40. NateDogg7a

NateDogg7a Well-Known Member

Based on the stream, there are 3 switches in the hall behind the left-sided door (opposite the driver side) in the cab. Open the door, and you will see the switches on the wall immediately to the left.

• Like Like x 1
  41. Ewan M

Ewan M Member

Thanks! :)

42. JustWentSouth

I am rediscovering Boston Sprinter and really enjoying the signaling and scenic upgrades to the route. And I haven't even driven the Acela yet; I am trying to learn the route well enough to go HUDless. I am almost there, but in the meantime, I found this nice run with the ACS-64:

Amtrak NE Regionall #177 Boston - Providence at 17:48.

Run it in the winter to see a nice sunset. If you need practice learning NORAC signal progressions, this is the run for you.

You are stuck behind an MBTA service the whole way - the dispatcher does not see fit to let you pass at a 4 track station. You wind up pulling into Providence directly behind the MBTA as it closes the doors and heads out.

43. Ewan M

Ewan M Member

Hello folks. It seems to be eluding me but does anyone know how to switch off the marker lights on the NJ Transit cab cars?

44. JustWentSouth

My favorite Acela run thus far on BPE:

Acela Express #2173 Boston - Providence at 16:07

Very nice AI, including two northbound Acela services, both of which are trapped behind slower services. Your run, however, is smooth until:

You encounter an MBTA service south of Canton Junction. You deal with ATC until the dispatcher lets you pass it at Attleboro. There is just an ATC whiff of another service approaching the 60 mph curves north of Providence.

45. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

I love this thread! (and the spreadsheets) :)
    Guess I need the Acela in my library sooner than later

• Like Like x 1
  46. pveezy

pveezy Well-Known Member

This isn't specific to any certain run but I am having a lot of fun with "continuous" journeys on the Acela. Because most (if not all) of the service numbers from the Boston route continue on NY to Trenton, I can pick one like say Acela 2155 and drive it from Boston to Providence... then load up NY-Trenton with the same date and weather, and continue the "same" Acela 2155 from NYC to Trenton.

Sure not the same as a reaaal continuous run (not to mention skips the line between Providence and NYC) but it makes me feel like I am on a longer service. It would be cool if they add more NEC sections with the accurate Amtrak runs. I don't expect to ever get the entire NEC but it is a nice compromise.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2023
    • Like Like x 5
  47. JustWentSouth

I am not sure how to handle the spreadsheets with Boston Sprinter and now Boston Providence. I think I will keep the old recommendations on the TSW Compatible list and then list "post Acela era" runs on the TSW3 spreadsheet. This gives me the perfect excuse to go back to the the old spreadsheet and see how those runs have changed.

This one is still excellent:
    BPE NE Regional #176 at 19:30 with the ACS 64

As you depart Providence, you are behind an MBTA service which then waits at Attleboro for you. After Canton Jct, you have another MBTA service that sets off an ATC alarm or two. I think it's the same service that you get to run parallel with from Back Bay to Boston South.

Run it in late spring or early fall for a nice sunset.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  48. JustWentSouth

The Acela is excellent and makes the BPE a bit more challenging because it brings more speed reductions into play. With the throttle doubling as an electric brake, there is really nothing else like it in the game. Such a fast train, but the cab has a wonderful old and worn feeling. There is a bug where the throttle gets maxed out by the cruise control no matter where you have the throttle set, but I work around that by just easing the cruise control up. This is apparently fixed in dev builds, so I hope a patch is coming soon.

49. aarontheloner

aarontheloner Active Member

Do consecutive parts of multi part jobs count? If yes I really gotta go with some of those Clinchfield turn jobs.

• Like Like x 1
  50. driverwoods#1787

You are correct that is the same way as Brighton Mainline to East Coast way and Bremen Oldenburg services going to Schnellfahrstrecke Hannover Würzburg Kassel Würzburg section.