Baseless Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by raildan, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Juxen

Juxen Well-Known Member

!RemindMe 2 years

Bet you you're wrong; we'll be asking about the editor in four years' time.

• Like Like x 4
  2. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

They’ve handled the progress of the editor so badly. I bet they wished that they’d have never mentioned it, a bit like multiplayer.

• Like Like x 3
  3. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Agreed, they seem to think that by saying “no news” people we be ok and just carry on until news arrives.

People want updates. Just give us a progress update whether it’s a post by a DTG staff member just giving us a paragraph saying we’re currently doing XY&Z with the editor, we’ve hit a few issues but are working to get them fixed and when we have anything else noteworthy we’ll update you again. But by just saying no updates and leaving it as that, they’ve made themselves a rod for their own back because people want meat to the bones they’re getting.

We’re not asking for a 1 hour Twitch livestream update of the editor, we’re not wanting proof, we’re wanting more than “no news”.

If I purchased a house and my solicitor wasn’t giving me any updates on progress, nothing seemed to be moving along and we’ve no completion date in sight, I’d want more than “no news, no updates”. Things start to get a bit fishy and you’ll ask yourself if you’ll ever actually get the house.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  4. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

I don't consider multiplayer an essential part of a train simulator. You can do fine without it.
    But an editor is pretty much mandatory for long term health.

I think most members of this forum would prefer an open and honest statement at this point, even if it's "We haven't touched it for a year" kind of statement. At this point, I no longer believe the "working on it" spiel. I think it has been canned in favor of paid releases for all platforms, which unfortunately makes sense from a business point of view.

• Like Like x 2
  5. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Exactly, if they said, it’s taking longer than expected as we’re putti more resources into making DLC’s I’d respect them and accept it’ll take much longer than anticipated.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Thelonius16

Thelonius16 Well-Known Member

But you pay for a house and you hire a solicitor. You have every right to complain. The editor is (we think) free.

• Like Like x 1
  7. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Yes but when you purchased TSW did you do it on the basis there would definitely have been an editor in the future, which you are not paying for, there was no mention of one as far as I know when I purchased it? I am not sure your analogy quite works.

They have said several times that they are working on it, including on here. Personally I wish they would issue an update but I am not that worried about it. They do say no news is good news, I am sure if they were going to cancel it they would say, I expect it is not a priority development like DLC is as it is the DLC which creates the cash flow.

We have had the first 3rd party add-on, presumably they have access to an editor of some kind?

• Like Like x 2
  8. londonmidland

The fact that they were so open and motivated about it when first mentioned, Matt even showed a live stream of it back in 2018 I think it was, to absolutely nothing. Not one single update in I think over a year now?

That in itself seems very suspicious to me and sounds like they’re hiding something.

• Like Like x 1
  9. londonmidland

They use the exact same, in-house editor that DTG use, as DTG gave Rivet permission and also all the tools to them, for them to use. Not the public editor, which we are supposed to get at some point.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. theorganist

Ah, okay, I wasn't sure how they had accessed the tools.

• Like Like x 1
  11. theorganist

Well maybe (in glass half full mode) it just means there is nothing to update, which may mean it could be two years away but there is nothing really to say about it, but it is still in development. I thought I read somewhere it was in beta testing but I may be talking or thinking out of the top of my head.

As long as they don't say it is cancelled, then I will assume it is still being worked on, if we don't hear anything for another year I might be inclined to agree with you.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Juxen

Juxen Well-Known Member

I bought it day one, on the knowledge that there will be an editor.

• Like Like x 3
  13. londonmidland

You're not wrong. DTG did say that they have beta testers for it. No update on how that’s progressing of course.

• Like Like x 2
  14. londonmidland

They also advertised in a video advertisement that TSW will feature multiplayer upon release. That video has since been removed.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Trenomarcus

Trenomarcus Well-Known Member

Still available (@6:55)

• Like Like x 2
  16. theorganist

I would imagine that multiplayer is far down the road, I would personally rate the editor as more important, for me multiplayer wouldn't appeal anyway but obviously it is important for others.

I suppose sometimes developers have the best intentions but reality can get in the way.

When I purchased TSW at the beginning, I was aware there was no editor, I hadn't seen anything about an editor, I think I assumed there would probably be one at some point, if we didn't have service mode (which ultimately I would like to tinker with) I would have stopped using TSW. With Rail Simulator it took some time from its release for the tools to be available although nothing like this has taken but they are two different beasts.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mikey_9835

Mikey_9835 Well-Known Member

There could be a 1001 reasons for the radio silence on the editor. Maybe licensing issues? Maybe GWR don't want HST's running down the LIRR? Or derailment mods. Could just be inexperience with Unreal Engine, or maybe they're waiting for Unreal Engine 5? Until DTG confirms we're left to speculate.

However at the very least we know it's still in development, otherwise Matt Wouldn't keep saying "No news yet". If it were cancelled he wouldn't have mentioned it at all.

• Like Like x 3
  18. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

Well, I don't think it's that first one, becasue chances are that's already possible:

The good news abut the editor is that this person appears to have discovered a way to mod and even completely replace timetables, which I gonna allow for a LOT of the cool community content we're looking for with the editor... it's possible that we can even make our own custom scenarios eventually, without DTG's help at all.

Of course, an editor would be much better, but with no sign of one coming... at least we're gonna have something pretty soon. (Check out this guy's channel, there's a lot more where that came from... I just wish he'd tell us how)

• Like Like x 4
  19. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

Wow, so DTG has been lying to us the entire time, eh? No multiplayer yet:(

Although yes I agree the editor is more important than a multiplayer, we would be able to make and edit our own trains/routes. But, unfortunately, that is still long away.

20. MetrolinkF125#916

Oh yea, one time I saw a mod for the Peninsula Corridor, but it was on Sand Patch, too bad we can’t do that on consoles, not even install locomotive skins from the web:(

• Like Like x 1
  21. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

As a console player, I don’t give a crap about the editor really, I’m just playing devils advocate.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Mikey_9835

Mikey_9835 Well-Known Member

I'm a console player too but I care about the editor because of the potential for third party content that may eventually be released, which this game desperately needs to survive.

• Like Like x 3
  23. Trenomarcus

I will not be so sure about this. Saying that is not canceled is a way of keeping many people still believing (and buying DLC).

• Like Like x 4
  24. Crochunter1970

Crochunter1970 Active Member

Has there been any further hints on what the next dlc route will be?

• Like Like x 3
  25. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

To play devil's advocate, we've already seen 3rd party content (DB BR 204)- without a publicly released editor. If i was a betting man (which i'm really not), i'd wager that officially authorized 3rd-party developers are DTG's preferred route foward for the TSW franchise.

• Like Like x 4
  26. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

The driving in the video... *shudders*

• Like Like x 4
  27. apina322oi

apina322oi Member

• Like Like x 3
  28. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

Nothing has been officially announced or hinted at.

99.95% chance it's going to be UK route.
    0.05% chance it's going to be Czech route - in DTG's video for woman's day, there were shots of an employee googling Czech class 754 and the main station in Ostrava.

I think a Kent or Greater London UK route is most probable with the lockdown and all.

• Like Like x 3
  29. londonmidland

Didn’t DTG keep quiet about Flight Sim World and acted as everything was normal, only to cancel it the following week?

• Like Like x 4
  30. Juxen

Juxen Well-Known Member

Yeah. "Everything's fine, don't worry!" And then they shut it down.

• Like Like x 2
  31. Trenomarcus

upload_2020-5-21_15-47-46.png

• Like Like x 10
  32. UnlimitedMagic

UnlimitedMagic Well-Known Member

Shows how DTG should consider communicating about what’s going on and stuff
    They used to do Studio updates but then they stopped without notice.

• Like Like x 1
  33. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

Well... don't tell anyone that I told you.... but I have heard that finally the British ECML is coming to TSW... with an extensive, iconic and lengthy stretch from Stevenage to Hitchin, in stunning detail, you can almost touch it.

And.... in addition, and almost a route unto itself, they are going to include the fabulous and challenging route from Hitchin to Stevenage (not including the fast line).

• Like Like x 4
  34. UnlimitedMagic

Haha
    Stevanage to hitchin is 4 miles
    But what if they did it to Cambridge
    And not cut 20 miles to stevanage

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  35. Plastic Pal

Well, their Communications Officer had to put their vote somewhere. ;-O

• Like Like x 1
  36. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

You honestly made me look but I coudn't find the video.

The Ostrava - Frýdek-Místek - Frenštát pod Radhoštěm seems like the only possible route because it's the only route starting from Ostrava with ČD 754 locomotives operating. At least according to a quick search.
    https://www.zelpage.cz/razeni/19/vlaky/cd-3146

In this case, I would love a ČD 714 for shunting and light freight.

I strongly suspect it's a joke but I still wanted to voice my opinion.

edit: I meant the ČD 708, not ČD 714. These two are easy to mismatch.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  37. MetrolinkF125#916

Well no wonder I haven’t heard or see a studio update from DTG in a long time, guess it was kinda obvious, but I wonder why tho?

• Like Like x 1
  38. mrchuck

mrchuck Well-Known Member

I wonder if they’ve been getting references for the next route?

• Like Like x 2
  39. londonmidland

They seem to recycle at least one DLC already featured in the game.

So if we're talking about British modern, we've got the DB 66, GWR HST and 166 and the SN 377. That then narrows it down to the potential areas they could operate in.

So for the GWR stuff, somewhere like Bristol would make a lot of sense. In fact they could recycle pretty much all GWE DLC if it was located in the Bristol area. Although I and I think a lot of people wouldn't be very happy if that happened.

• Like Like x 2
  40. Plastic Pal

I think that they will recycle things... but in a different way... and port some existing assets across from TS1 to TSW (like with GWE, WSR and recently PC and the Baby Bullet....), etc.... maybe something like Edinburgh-Glasgow with the Class 68 and some other bits. Or they might bring in something refreshed on WCML (Freightliner 86s, etc....) - I have a strong feeling there will be some overhead electrics featuring as the next part in the curation.

If it isn't electric... and if it isn't steam..... then maybe we'll see some top and tail Class 20s... with a Hunslet-Barclay weedkilling train.... that can be run on all other UK routes....! Go on... do the 20s....!

• Like Like x 3
  41. UnlimitedMagic

I won’t be surprised if they do Manchester to Liverpool seeing as it’s 1 mile longer than ECW.
    But then Manchester to Liverpool barely has any stations

• Like Like x 3
  42. londonmidland

Umm, I’m not sure where you got that from?

Manchester Piccadilly to Liverpool Lime Street via Warrington Central - 23 stations

Manchester Victoria to Liverpool Lime Street via Eccles - 14 stations

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  43. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

If they had Manchester-Liverpool route, I’d love to see the Manchester Airport branch also added, a branch really adds variety to a route.

• Like Like x 3
  44. UnlimitedMagic

Oh on a map of a railway company it showed only 5 stations
    I think it was Transpennine Express

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  45. Thunderer

Thunderer Well-Known Member

TS has the Liverpool Lime St - Piccadilly line. For some reason they chose not to do Liverpool Lime St-Manchester Victoria which would have included Rainhill, which is obviously an important station on an historically important route, with it being the first public railway line in the world and all that.

• Like Like x 1
  46. londonmidland

You were probably looking at the stations they serve along the route. There’s a lot of smaller Northern operated stations which are only served by Northern.

47. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

Which reminds me, I've always thought it would be the coolest thing ever to see an actual 1830's era Liverpool & Manchester route... but that sounds more like a TS Classic thing anyway.

As for a modern-day route for TSW, though, aren't there some licensing issues? I don't think they have Northern OR TPE licensing right now...

...maybe a Scottish route could work? I could see a couple of those around the right length working for TSW...

• Like Like x 4
  48. Crochunter1970

Crochunter1970 Active Member

Irish routes on the cards?

• Like Like x 1
  49. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

I have a feeling it’ll be Scottish or Welsh.

• Like Like x 2
  50. Plastic Pal

Not sure about Welsh - those routes have been mostly pulled from TS1. I think the formula might be to use something from TS1 that has already got the infrastructure sketched out, perhaps with a big station terminus shed. So far we have had a pattern of this (.....except maybe for NTP....):

TS1 Lon-Brighton -> TSW ECR (Brighton)
    TS1 Weardale -> TSW TVL (Darlington)
    TS1 West Somerset -> TSW WSR (Minehead...LOL..)
    TS1 Great Western - > TSW GWE (Paddington)

(NEC, PC and other routes were also lifts from TS1 to TSW...)

So.... Glasgow/Edinburgh..... or something out of Euston, St Pancras or King's Cross. Maybe a Liverpool route on WCML, or a York based route on ECML.... Something reasonably recent like circa 2016/17 on TS1....?

Maybe they'll do a complete surprise and do St Pancras to the other side of the Channel, and have cars and coaches loading either end of the tunnel, with HS1 services to Ashford and Lille spanning the tunnel at either end.. But if they do the Channel Tunnel, I hope they fix the draw distance problem (as on NTP...).....

• Like Like x 4