Baseless Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by raildan, Aug 16, 2018.

1. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

Nice analysis, I haven’t noticed that yet, maybe cuz I only go for American routes (no offense UK,ur routes are just as good):)

2. NAYDOG

NAYDOG Guest

It would be something like Kings Cross to Stevenage or St pancras to Luton Airport parkway... It wouldn't be anything worthwhile

• Like Like x 2
  3. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Something which is only 30-40 miles I bet. They struggle to create anything longer than that bar the few exceptions.

• Like Like x 2
  4. mrchuck

mrchuck Well-Known Member

I like American route’s to I wouldn’t mind the metro north Harlem or Hudson Line on train sim world.

• Like Like x 4
  5. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

It'd be amazing if we could get the route from London Victoria to Brighton. If I'm not mistaken, its around 50 or so miles– well within the realm of possibilities for TSW. CSX Heavy Haul and Peninsula Corridor were both similar lengths!
    This would be a scenic route going from one city to another city crossing through some countryside, served by Southern Class 377's which already exist in game. It sounds like the perfect candidate for a UK route in TSW

• Like Like x 3
  6. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

This would be another 750V DC route - two in a row..... but the re-use of the 377 and Brighton station would not be a new approach (think Hagen and German locos on RSN/RRO).... Plus London-Brighton is a reasonably recent TS1 route, maybe ready for conversion/porting to UE.

But it would need some other diverse traction for the USP.... and I think that maybe the Class 73 with Gatwick Express cab car at the end.... plus a re-skinned Class 33 and 73 (in say Dutch engineering livery, with some ballast wagons)... would be justifiable additions. Similar route length - as you say.

Could be... could be a runner..... If not now, then later in the year maybe...? ;-).

• Like Like x 3
  7. Crochunter1970

Crochunter1970 Active Member

You would think the first hint on the next TSW route will be in the next two weeks. Maybe even a third party developer like Rivet Games may have one lined up.

• Like Like x 2
  8. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

(Really putting the "Baseless" in "Baseless Speculation Thread" here, but hold on...)

This is a very real possibility, actually, as IIRC they may have hinted at... at least being interested in the possibility somewhere (no, I don't have a source for that, so... don't take my word on that). Besides, they're all about Swiss content, AND they're all about stunning scenery, and I don't think they popped into TSW *just* to release this one random German diesel... can you imagine a Swiss route in TSW? Even better, one NOT made by DTG?

Honestly, short of an editor.. among other things... this is exactly what TSW needs. Something developed by a team that ISN'T rushed to get the product out to shelves in 3 months, something that actually makes use of TSW's stunning graphics, and... well, a 5th country, one that's actually different from the base 3 (Canada's pretty similar to the US, train-wise).

Only other thing apart from the editor that would really have this effect is steam...

Dovetail *DID* say a while ago that the next route would take longer and "you'll see why," and that has already been speculated about on here... but I don't think that means the next route would be this completely speculative Rivet Games thing, as that wouldn't explain it taking longer- Rivet Games works on their own schedule, so DTG wouldn't stop cranking out their own stuff... the next route is thus *probably* DTG something

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. MetrolinkF125#916

Hmm, you have a point, I can’t wait to see what DTG (or rivet games:) ) has to offer!

10. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

I'd certainly like to see Edinburgh to Glasgow. 47/7 in ScotRail livery (once it's fixed for consoles of course!). They have MkIII coaches from the HST. Just need a DBSO. Chuck in a Class 26 for some freight and I'd be happy.

• Like Like x 5
  11. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Whatever this route will be, I have a feeling that this will be TSW 2021’s flagship route, similar to what Peninsula Corridor was when TSW 2020 launched. Longer than other routes and plenty of loco dlc’s bulking the route out even more. It feels a completed route and rightly so, it’s been given some real love and attention.

I could be wrong but have a feeling this is a trend DTG will want to continue, every year we’ll see a flagship route which the game is sold around whereas the other routes will shorter.

• Like Like x 7
  12. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

Do you have a proof of this?
    Because the only thing I noticed was "the next route will take longer due to Covid". Nothing about quality and/or length.

• Like Like x 3
  13. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The “you’ll see why” was something Dmitri said (let slip?) in one of his last streams. It certainly wasn’t an official announcement so well worth speculating about.

• Like Like x 7
  14. raildan

It was mentiomed on this very thread a couple pages ago:

I beat you to this exact bit of speculation lol
    Abd, to add to this, I bet we'll see the most loco DLC for those routes, too. Peninsula Corridor already has 2.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  15. Plastic Pal

I saw this stream, and by the look on his face I got the impression it was something that was long-awaited and would be expected to be very popular. And I had a few thoughts about it:

1. Something would be released as part of a significantly improved TS2021 core, with new features such as 3rd person view of your avatar
    2. It would include steam - even if it is slow/basic steam, with 0-6-0 and/or 0-4-0 (cf. Class 08/09)
    3. Possibly.... a miniature railway, in steam... where you can actually see you avatar sitting/standing on/in the loco... say, Romney/Dymchurch...
    4. Or.... something like Woodhead (old one), with overhead DC, plus steam (with view of avatar), and some black Class 08s...

and....

5. A range of clothing DLC for your avatar, at only £9.99 per outfit

• Like Like x 4
  16. Trenomarcus

Trenomarcus Well-Known Member

YES, please!!! Train Sim Mini World, can't wait

• Like Like x 1
  17. Plastic Pal

The best thing about Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch is that it is built at about one-third scale (or about a quarter gauge). So, if the whole 22km route was made, then you could claim that it is really like building 66km, and then avoid all the complaints about short route length.

It would be pure genius.

• Like Like x 3
  18. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

I’d hate to think DTG would spend a significant amount of time and resources creating a 3rd person view or a miniature railway.

As for the Woodhead line, yes please.

• Like Like x 10
  19. UnlimitedMagic

UnlimitedMagic Well-Known Member

BML, GEML, ECML, SWML seem to be popular. Could be one of these

• Like Like x 3
  20. raildan

The woodhead line is the perfect route for TSW IMO because it lets you model the BR Black era without steam, it can be modeled with only 3 locos easily, all kinds of services (yard switching, mainline freight, express passenger, commuter services), and it's JUST the right length, I mean it's a couple miles longer than peninsula corridor but there's more rural scenery and a big tunnel in the middle, so it should be fine.

EDIT: The downside, I guess, is that DLC potential would be limited... if they go with classes 76, 77, and 08, then the 506 could be a DLC, and... that's about it. Unless steam still went over the route after electrification?

• Like Like x 7
  21. Plastic Pal

In UE it shouldn't be much more complicated than ticking a box that says:

--------------------------------------------
    Allow 3rd person view (Y/N) [ ]
    --------------------------------------------

It is one of the most basic features that comes with UE. They have already ticked 2nd person view when you look at your avatar from outside the cab.... ;-)

Deciding on clothing is the difficult bit, and that is why I leave all that to my partner.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

Than you just have to do the basic things like making the third person camera actually track the character, making all the character animations, etc.

These things are never that easy.

• Like Like x 2
  23. Plastic Pal

Yes they are easy. They are very easy for any professional software house.

Amateur software houses -> extremely difficult, maybe.

I have taught housewives that have no previous experience of using a computer how to use Poser to create character animations and poses. Poser costs about £50. But yes - you'd need to clear a path for a default camera, and they have a routine for that in TSW - as the beam cameras dodge bridges, etc.

So not a big problem. Minor draw on resources though - as you have to draw and animate the avatar.

However, it might encourage people to think about wanting multi-player - and frankly, you really don't want to encourage that right now.... not given the demonstration so far of how effective all of the current online services for TS1/TSW have been....;-O

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  24. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

It’s suppose to be a simulator, we don’t need 3rd person.

• Like Like x 15
  25. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I agree. Plus it would be a clunky mess and unrealistic. I’m quite happy seeing myself drive (I mean just sit in the cab slowly turning my head side to side) from the external cameras, except in some circumstances where it’s not me but some bald imposter.

• Like Like x 11
  26. Plastic Pal

I absolutely agree. I personally would never use 3rd person, and whenever possible I never use it in any games. It reduces immersion for me, because when I walk about in real life, I don't tend to look down on a version of myself.... So I always switch it off in things like Fallout, and I always use the in-car view in racing/driving games.

But.... a 3rd person view in TSW would allow you to sell clothes at £9.99 per outfit. And if you created multi-player, then you could show off your latest fashionable purchases to other players. This is obviously all critical to train simulation, but as an aside, it could also make lots of cash... ;-)

It would be cool to have some basic animations associated with pressing buttons, flicking switches, turning taps, sliding windows, viewable from 1st or 2nd person. And then...maybe a bit later on.. (preferably before I push up the daisies).... a bit of ultimate first person..... VR......

• Like Like x 2
  27. londonmidland

There are so many, much more important and relevant things, resources could be spent on instead of implementing a third person view. Third person view just seems like a gimmick, like mastery and dioramas.

Some examples include;
    - Proper adhesion
    - Updated skybox, weather visuals and lighting
    - Working Passenger Information Screens
    - Fix the non-functional level crossings
    - Fix the lack of wet surfaces on platforms in certain DLC’s
    - Fix the poor sounds, including sound occulsion and sounds cutting in and out

• Like Like x 20
  28. Plastic Pal

I absolutely agree. But selling clothing is an easy way for the developers to make lots of cash. And you have to get your priorities sorted before you make your way down a wish-list... ;-P

Another possible innovation would be to open up some of the buildings - and maybe have diners at all of the major stations. Not only could you sell virtual food (otherwise your driver falls asleep), you could also put some slot machines in the corner that accept virtual currency (that you first pay for as DLC) - to give your driver something to do between train duties. Everyone would surely want this....! ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  29. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Can I add an updated 2D map which includes station and junction names. I’d also love to see a ETA on screen as in TS which changes depending if you’re running early/late.

• Like Like x 7
  30. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Train Sim is a niche game aimed at people who want to drive trains, not play dress-up while driving a train. DLC clothing works in others games such as GTA, COD etc.. as it’s a game with a wider general appeal. I can’t see DTG selling much dlc clothes by us Train Sim nerds when that £9.99 can can be saved and go towards a next route or loco dlc.

• Like Like x 6
  31. londonmidland

I just hope they spend their resources and time on fixing bugs or implementing long requested features which have been clearly documented on this forum.

Mastery and dioramas was such a waste of time and resources. Not only does it not work properly or fully functional in the first place, the most ridiculous thing is that I did not see one person ask for it, anywhere.

Perhaps looking at a few polls I posted in these forums would be a good start instead of developing these useless gimmicks.

• Like Like x 10
  32. Plastic Pal

I fully agree with you.....! Sometimes I get the impression that maybe the developers are actively looking to develop utterly useless unwanted "features" like Mastery, perhaps driven by an all powerful Marketing Department. This could be a way to avoid having to spend time fixing things that they have broken, or were put together in a hap-hazard way in the first place.

So - I can see a tie-in with the "Lucky Sevens" gambling company on the horizon. And maybe a Walmart clothing store. And a target range to try out "Guns and stuff".

And maybe a bit less of a focus on the "trains", or at least working trains stuff. If the trains were made to work, then you would spend more time driving them, and less time buying clothes and guns, and spending cash at the fruit machines.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  33. Dynamite Andy

Dynamite Andy Member

I do like the idea of mastery and dioramas - but i'm just gutted it doesn't work at all.

• Like Like x 1
  34. railway12

railway12 Well-Known Member

The you'll see why could be anything. I think it will me a often requested feature. So it might include a basic passanger information system. Because DTG said a while ago that they are experimenting with Rendering Texture needed for this. Also it will most probably be a route in the UK. Maybe a bit longer as well but we'll see.

• Like Like x 2
  35. Crochunter1970

Crochunter1970 Active Member

I'm leaning towards Edinburgh to Glasgow or Brighton to London. Mind you, each of those routes are much longer then the other routes, so I won't hold my breath.

• Like Like x 2
  36. Plastic Pal

Would you want the routes to include signals, or would you prefer your routes without signals (which is a new feature they've introduced to London-Brighton in Train Simulator).....?

• Like Like x 1
  37. PinkDude17

PinkDude17 New Member

no. no. no.

• Like Like x 1
  38. UnlimitedMagic

UnlimitedMagic Well-Known Member

I would prefer signals since no signals kills the immersion for me.

• Like Like x 3
  39. Plastic Pal

They decided to bring them back....! Yay...! (All fixed now, in TS1 for London-Brighton.. and all the other routes that were broken last week).

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  40. LTEcactus

LTEcactus Active Member

They have a Southeastern license right? So I was thinking the next route could be something like the Maidstone East line? From Victoria to Maidstone East via Bromley South, plus the 2 mile branch to Orpington, for the metro services. Giving a total mileage of about 40 miles.
    With a 465 included? The /9s did the faster Ashford services (replaced with 377s), whilst the very similar /2 does the metro work.

• Like Like x 2
  41. londonmidland

If they did model London Victoria, I’d fear they’d choose Southern over SouthEastern as it’d be an excuse to recycle the Class 377/4 again. They’d probably only do something like Victoria to Gatwick Airport, which is less than 30 miles.

It would be nice if they could to a Victoria to Brighton route and merge ECW up with it but wishful thinking that is.

• Like Like x 4
  42. testtogo200

testtogo200 Member

New Baseless Speculation:

More Canadian Routes (like in British Columbia) Likely CN, but maybe VIA rail too. They do already have a CN liscense...

• Like Like x 4
  43. testtogo200

testtogo200 Member

That is also more likely because they already know all the things like modelling for the 377/4...

• Like Like x 1
  44. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I agree I would love to see a CN and CP route out of Vancouver through the Fraser Canyon and eastward onto Edmonton for CN and Calgary for CP.

Add: Another CN North Vancouver northward to Prince George and possibly further to Prince Rupert

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  45. testtogo200

testtogo200 Member

Matt also said in one of his streams that one of his fav routes in ts2020 is the mountain passes route. Also, the release of Oakville Sub was kinda big, considering the fact that they had only UK,US, and German routes. I think it could also be interesting if they tried something outside of US, CA,UK, or Germany. For example, something like an Italian route...?

• Like Like x 4
  46. MetrolinkF125#916

Nice, I would also love to see trains or a route based around this are in TSW, the scenery is so breathtaking, mainly in the mountain pass routes:)

• Like Like x 2
  47. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

That would be cool. I just hope it wouldn't be another S-Bahn type of route.

• Like Like x 2
  48. mrchuck

mrchuck Well-Known Member

I hope it’s NJT or Metro north.

• Like Like x 2
  49. raildan

Waaaaay too long.

But I do actually think that Vancouver - Mission would be a good candidate (I was planning on writing a proposal on that one, the trick is they need a license for WCE, which would probably be a loco DLC anyway) as well as some shortened version of Canadian Mountain Passes... they DO have a CP license, too, after all.

And staying in the Vancouver area, the longest of the CN route to Prince George you described would be... North Vancouver to Squamish. Keep in mind this IS DTG...

This is kinda unrelated but one thing I'm noticing is with one sigle exception (WSR, sold at reduced price anyway), every route they've made in TSW has been double-tracked (mostly- not counting branches, just the mainline bit). I think this is because timetable mode works best with busier lines (whether or not they have enough development time to properly model that is another matter) and "is it at least double-tracked" is probably their quick check on whether a route has enough traffic to consider developing.

• Like Like x 2
  50. testtogo200

testtogo200 Member

TOTALLY AGREE! I want something like a higher- speed train, not some s-bahn garbage. High speed, in my opinion, would be too hard to create, and too boring. I know they did high speed in ts2020, but with the detail in tsw2020 its practically impossible...

• Like Like x 1