Before We Get Too Far Down The Path....

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Matthew Wilson, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Matthew Wilson

Matthew Wilson Well-Known Member

One of the common sources of issues with a lot of DLC is storage space, and in TS1 the biggest source of problems comes around file duplication. This is particularly prevalent with British Railways Mk1 coaches. Is it possible we could look towards a set of common stock libraries where the purchase of one item of DLC gives access to one of the common libraries of rolling stock, and any subsequent DLC purchases will not result in a download of their own identical or very nearly identical content in a slightly different folder location? This would allow content creators to concentrate on producing a common set of carriages and wagons for various types and allow vast streamlining of DLC installation and file space taken up - not to mention reduce duplication of reskins etc for the relevant common stock.

Thanks.

• Like Like x 4
  2. 37114

37114 Active Member

Same issue with building assets etc, there is so much duplicate content in TS.

• Like Like x 1
  3. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Excuse me, but isn't this forum dedicated to TSW? Other forums and discussion sites exist for TS, of that I'm very sure.

4. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

I think the point he's trying to make is that TSW should have a common library of rolling stock so we don't end up with 6 different models of the Class 66, Class 47, Mk1 coaches or other such things as has happened in TS20xx.

I know from using the Armstrong Powerhouse sound and scenario packs that it can be a nightmare due to the number of different Class 66 models there are.

5. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

Things like the different paint jobs already share most of the files...which is better than before, but doesn't say much about how multiple separate DLC will handle having the same locomotive. But this really should be done. It would make content vastly easier to work with, as an update to sounds, for example, would instantly effect all versions of a locomotive. That way nobody needs to look back and say "GWE is old junk, _____ route has much better HST sounds" because one sound update can change everything, even old stuff.
    Some other bits are a bit more dependent on models and swapping out files wouldn't change anything old, but there would be more motivation to update older things if they didn't need to remake the whole file structure.

• Like Like x 1