Birmingham Cross City Line - My First Thoughts

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Shaun123, Nov 19, 2022.

1. Shaun123

Shaun123 Well-Known Member

I know there’s already a thread but;

Thought I’d better to do a first thoughts of Cross City after all it’s one of my favourite routes and the 323 is one of my favourite units!

The positives:

Well the 323 steals the show in every way! The model, the livery, the sounds, probably the best we’ve seen all round in TSW I think with the way all three have been executed. It’s very accurate and true to life, physics seem absolutely spot on! I’m really glad DTG included all the names too!

The scenery is lovely, the highlights for me are Birmingham New Street-University winding past the canal, the approaches to New Street at Proof House Junction and the section from Birmingham - Lichfield Trent Valley.

The OHLE models are done fantastically and I love the transitioning between them.

The stations are incredibly modelled, plenty of new and custom assets!

It’s a proper suburban commuter route, in my opinion despite the other releases, the first proper UK one in my opinion. But not just that, it has semi-fast running / all stations for variety. I’m glad DTG went with the pre-Covid timetable, because trust me it is a busy route! I like the New Street-Lichfield section for intensity the frequent station calls mean you have to stay focussed! You really go take advantage of the 323’s superior acceleration and braking of you want to keep to time! That’s how they do it in reality!

The signalling is done brilliantly with the newer signals first seen on Cathcart in places, and the approach control and flashing aspects add to the realism for me! It’s a proper train driving experience. There was a lot of comment about “running on greens” this is definitely one route where if anything the opposite is the case in my opinion.

The negatives:
    Well there are some unfortunately.

The vigilance sounding briefly when acknowledging the AWS, (pressing Q) I assume this can be a quick fix?!

323 sounds disappear entering and leaving Birmingham New Street coming to/from Proof House Junction.

I played a service with snow and I couldn’t differentiate any sounds/performance at all when the 323 was slipping. The 323 is much much better performing in low adhesion than say a 319, but there should have been some difference?!

I was always going to compare this route to the TSC version, after all it’s one of my favourite routes in TSC. Naturally it outperforms it in every way, but there are some areas that feel a little sparse scenery wise that’s specifically Barnt Green-Bromsgrove along the Lickey Incline, it just feels “unfinished” to me.

Finally what you get included. No matter what, it was a Day 1 purchase, no question about it, despite the price increase, my opinion - so what? We’ve been spoilt for a long time without an increase.

For me it’s been worth every penny. That’s just my opinion and I know others won’t share it, but for my own enjoyment, yes not a problem with price.

I don’t think there was any need to extend the route. Soho Depot, yes it would have been nice but it really isn’t a big deal. Just having the Class 323, again that doesn’t bother me. At the very least a Class 220 or even a Class 350 just to fill up New Street would have been better.

Overall:

Well it’s an 8/10.

Despite being my one of my favourite routes in TSC, I don’t feel it’s stole that place in TSW just yet I need to play it more. I’ve done 6 services so far. Southeastern High Speed still retains number 1 spot for me in TSW for UK routes (for now!)

But it’s a welcome start seeing DTG go further North and this is an incredible venture further North. DTG couldn’t have picked a better route in my opinion. Now next Liverpool-Manchester via Chat Moss please!

I feel DTG have really captured Birmingham and I love it!

I know there are few differing opinions on Birmingham shall we say and I’ll be honest I shared the same negativity that some have of Birmingham. However April 2022 this year I visited Birmingham for the first time (setting foot outside the station) properly and I was blown away, by how lovely it was, I was shocked how much I loved it and I’m going back again in a few weeks and now driving the Cross City it captures exactly what I feel Birmingham has to offer.

Thanks for reading, hope I didn’t bore anyone!

upload_2022-11-19_17-11-28.jpeg

upload_2022-11-19_17-12-30.jpeg
    upload_2022-11-19_17-14-14.jpeg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1