Train Sim World 3 Blackpool Branch Lines: Preston-blackpool North/south

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by TrainGeek08, Jan 16, 2023.

1. TrainGeek08

TrainGeek08 Well-Known Member

Welcome to another route suggestion by me, TrainGeek08, today I am suggesting the Preston-Blackpool route for Train Sim World as it is a nice commuter line to have in game and the rolling stock variety is insane along there

Stock included in the base route:
    [​IMG]

The British Rail Class 319 EMU

[​IMG]

The British Rail Class 390 'Pendolino' EMU

[​IMG]

And the British Rail Class 150/1 'Sprinter' DMU

Training (In Training Center):
    Class 319 Introduction
    Class 390 Introduction
    Class 150/1 Introduction

Scenarios:
    Blackpool Pendulum: (Difficulty - 1)
    Drive a 390 Pendolino from Preston to Blackpool North on an easy express run

Spring Sprinting: (Difficulty - 3)
    Drive a 150/1 Sprinter from Blackpool South to Preston during some North West spring showers

Northern Electrics: (Difficulty - 2)
    Drive a 319 from Blackpool North to Preston during sunrise, (some fantastic screenshots incoming)

The South Way: (Difficulty - 4)
    Drive a 150/1 from Kirkham and Wesham to Blackpool South, then switch ends and drive to Preston during a terrible rainstorm

Tiltin' and Swingin' (Difficulty - 2)
    Drive a 390 from Preston to Kirkham and Wesham and back as the line to Blackpool North is closed due to works at Blackpool North to accommodate the tram platforms outside the station

Timetable:
    2019-2020 Timetable (before 'you know what' of course)

Potential DLC, Layers and Stations coming up on Pages 2 & 3...

• Like Like x 6
  2. TrainGeek08

Page 2:

Potential DLC:
    [​IMG]

The British Rail Class 221 'Super Voyager' DEMU

Class 221 Introduction

Scenarios:
    Summer Voyage: (Difficulty - 1)
    Drive a 221 Voyager from Blackpool North to Preston on a warm day in the school summer holidays

Broken Pendo: (Difficulty - 3)
    Drive a 221 ECS from Preston to Kirkham and Wesham to rescue a broken Class 390 Pendolino, then drag it to Preston where a Thunderbird loco will meet you and then it will drag it to Longsight TMD

Unusual Diversion: (Difficulty - 2)
    Drive a 221 from Preston to Blackpool South as Avanti are taking advantage of the 221's diesel power to divert the service to South instead of the normal terminus of North

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Northern Civity Pack (195 DMU & 331 EMU respectively)

Class 195 Introduction
    Class 331 Introduction

Scenarios:
    Civity Electric: (Difficulty - 2)
    Drive a 331 from Preston to Blackpool North on an all-stopping service

Night Diesel: (Difficulty - 1)
    Drive a 195 from Blackpool North to Preston on an nightly express run (sleep tight everyone :D)

Northern Fail: (Difficulty - 4)
    Drive a 195 from Preston to Blackpool North but a 331 has failed in your booked platform at Blackpool North so you have to become an ECS to drag it into the small depot just beyond Blackpool North station

Layers:
    [​IMG]

The British Rail Class 47 (NTP) in WCR livery and appropriate Mk1s for a railtour between Preston and Blackpool North (goes from Blackpool in the morning and returns to Blackpool in the evening)

Stations:
    Preston:
    [​IMG]

Preston railway station in Preston, Lancashire, England, is an interchange railway station on the West Coast Main Line, half-way between London Euston and Glasgow Central (206 miles from London Euston, 194 miles from Glasgow Central). It is served by Avanti West Coast, Northern Trains and TransPennine Express services, plus Caledonian Sleeper overnight services between London and Scotland. It is also served by the Calder Valley line to Leeds and York, and by branch lines to Blackpool, Ormskirk, and Colne. The North Union Railway opened a station on the site in 1838. It was extended in 1850, with new platforms under the separate management of the East Lancashire Railway, and by 1863 London–Scotland trains stopped here to allow passengers to eat in the station dining room. The current station was built in 1880 and extended in 1903 and 1913, when it had fifteen platforms. A free buffet for servicemen was provided during both World Wars. The East Lancashire platforms were demolished in the 1970s as connecting lines closed. As well as intercity trains to London Euston, Birmingham New Street, Manchester Piccadilly, Glasgow Central and Edinburgh Waverley, the station is served by local trains to other parts of Lancashire, Cumbria, Greater Manchester, Merseyside and Yorkshire.

Salwick:
    [​IMG]

Salwick railway station is situated on the Preston-to-Blackpool railway line in England, 5+1⁄4 miles (8.4 km) west of Preston, and is managed by Northern. The station lies between Preston and Kirkham, near the village of Clifton. The station was closed on 2 May 1938 along with Lea Road railway station to the east, but was reopened on 8 April 1940 to serve the adjacent industrial complex. Lancashire County Council has pledged to construct a new station at nearby Cottam which may require the closure of Salwick as referred to at page 38 of the Central Lancashire Highways and Transport Masterplan.

Kirkham and Wesham:
    [​IMG]

Kirkham and Wesham railway station serves the Lancashire towns of Kirkham and Wesham, in England. It is managed by Northern Trains, who operate most of the passenger services that call there.

Blackpool North and South Branches coming up on Page 3...

• Like Like x 3
  3. lucasfor49

lucasfor49 Well-Known Member

I have one issue here- setting it in the 90's let's it have the have branch for freight services and I'd debate that period would better for this route

• Like Like x 2
  4. TrainGeek08

Page 3:

Blackpool North branch:
    Poulton-le-Fylde:
    [​IMG]

Poulton-le-Fylde railway station serves the town of Poulton-le-Fylde in Lancashire, England. It is managed by Northern Trains, but also served by Avanti West Coast and is 14+1⁄4 miles (22.9 km) northwest of Preston.

Layton:
    [​IMG]

Layton railway station (formerly Bispham railway station) is on the Blackpool North to Preston railway line, in Lancashire, England, serving the Blackpool suburbs of Layton and Bispham. It is managed by Northern and is unstaffed.

Blackpool North:
    [​IMG]

Blackpool North railway station is the main station serving the seaside resort of Blackpool in Lancashire, England. It is the terminus of the main Blackpool branch line and is 17+1⁄2 miles (28 km) northwest of Preston. The station was opened in its present form in 1974, and succeeded a previous station a few hundred yards away on Talbot Road which had first opened in 1846 and had been rebuilt in 1898. The present station is based on the 1938 concrete canopy which covered the entrance to the former excursion platforms of the old station. Blackpool's other station, Blackpool South, is situated in the south of the town, with services towards Preston and Colne, and does not connect to Blackpool North. Blackpool North has regular services to Manchester, Liverpool, Bolton, Wigan, Preston, Blackburn, Leeds and York. There are six intercity trains a day to London Euston via Birmingham New Street. There is one train per week Sunday only to Carlisle via the Ribble Valley and the Settle-Carlisle Line during the Summer timetable.

Blackpool South branch:
    Moss Side:
    [​IMG]

Moss Side railway station is on the Blackpool South to Preston line, in Lancashire, England. It is located in Moss Side, a hamlet where the B5259 (Lytham to Wrea Green) road crosses the railway at a level crossing. It is managed by Northern, who operate all passenger services that call there. When the station opened in 1846, it was at first called Kirkham Road. In 1961 Moss Side was closed along with Wrea Green station in the neighbouring (larger) village. It was an easy task to reopen the station as (unlike at Wrea Green) the platforms had never been removed after closure. Moss Side station therefore, was reopened in 1983, with the aid of a grant from Lancashire County Council. The old station signal box was closed in the same year when the crossing over Lytham Road was automated, with the track being singled three years later. All trains now use the old eastbound platform, with the other still intact but overgrown. Facilities here are basic (just a waiting shelter, timetable information board and bench seats) and it is the only station on the line not to be fitted with a ticket machine to date. The old station house is now privately owned.

Lytham:
    [​IMG]

Lytham railway station serves the town of Lytham St Annes, Lancashire on the Blackpool South to Preston railway line.

Ansdell & Fairhaven:
    [​IMG]

Ansdell and Fairhaven railway station is on the Blackpool South to Preston railway line in Lancashire, England. In the past, it has also been known as Ansdell Station, Ansdell's Gate station, and Ansdell's Halt. The Royal Lytham & St Annes Golf Club, host to the Open Championship, is adjacent to the station. During national and international competitions the station is used to convey spectators to the course.

St-Annes-on-the-Sea:
    [​IMG]

St Annes-on-the-Sea railway station serves the town of St Annes-on-the Sea, commonly known as St Annes, which is part of the conurbation of Lytham St Annes in Lancashire, England. It is located on the Blackpool South to Preston railway line 3+1⁄4 miles (5.2 km) south-southeast of Blackpool South.

Squires Gate:
    [​IMG]

Squires Gate railway station serves the Squires Gate area of the popular seaside resort of Blackpool, Lancashire, England, although it is located just outside the borough boundary. It lies on the Blackpool South to Preston line and is the nearest station to Blackpool Airport. Squires Gate is located about 400 metres (1,300 ft) from Starr Gate tram stop on the Blackpool Tramway.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach:
    [​IMG]

Blackpool Pleasure Beach railway station serves the Blackpool Pleasure Beach theme park. It is the penultimate station before Blackpool South on the Blackpool South to Colne line. Pleasure Beach Station is located about 300 metres (980 ft) from Burlington Road West tram stop on the Blackpool Tramway.

Blackpool South:
    [​IMG]

Blackpool South railway station serves the suburban south of the popular seaside resort of Blackpool, Lancashire, England. It is the terminus of the South Fylde Line 12+1⁄4 miles (19.7 km) west of Kirkham and Wesham by rail, though all services run through from Preston. It lies only a short walk from Blackpool Football Club's stadium at Bloomfield Road. The station is managed by Northern Trains, who operate all trains serving it. Blackpool South is located about 500 metres (1,600 ft) from Waterloo Road tram stop on the Blackpool Tramway.

I hope you enjoyed reading this suggestion, put your thoughts below as always, loving how popular these threads are, thanks everyone for your support, but anyway, from me, TrainGeek08, until next time, it's goodbye ;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. TrainGeek08

Look who's arrived :D, first (most of the time) to critique my threads :)

Well, the 90s ain't a bad shout, but I have to agree to disagree here, while I like some backdated routes, I think the modern day is better for this route, but you know, that's my views on it ;)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Excellent idea and for the Class 150/1 & Class 195 these are Leeds City or Hull via Leeds City services since they use Calder Valley Line by combining at Hebden Bridge from a Liverpool Lime Street/Chester Service via Manchester Victoria. My Calder Valley Line suggestion can merge with yours if the missing Hebden Bridge Blackburn Preston is built that way Class 150/1 can run Blackpool North/South Preston Leeds via Halifax and Bradford Interchange.

• Like Like x 1
  7. TrainGeek08

I know that you are passionate towards the Calder Valley Line so happy my 195 could layer onto your Calder Valley Line or vice versa, (obviously if both routes are made)

• Like Like x 1
  8. lucasfor49

Look who's arrived :D, first (most of the time) to critique my threads :)
    I wouldn't consider it critiquing for expressing my thoughts on routes haha.

• Like Like x 1
  9. lucasfor49

Jokes aside yeah that's fine- I just think Naze is a good freight route and good passenger stops.

• Like Like x 1
  10. TrainGeek08

Well, you give your opinion on the route then, sometimes you agree, others you suggest different ideas, maybe not as strict as critiquing but you know what I mean ;)

11. TrainGeek08

Maybe a backdated timetable could be made including your proposed idea though, so not all is lost ;)

12. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Correct because our goal might be the Northern Rail Trans Pennine network yours forms the Northern Rail Trans Pennine route Leeds Bradford Halifax to Blackpool via Preston. While my route runs Leeds to Manchester Victoria via Halifax Bradford
    Speaking of your route gives a 150/1 that will combine with a Class 158 standard with my route at Hebden Bridge for Leeds via Bradford Interchange. A normal route the bundle can be called Northern rail Trans Pennine adventure Leeds City to Blackpool and Manchester Victoria.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TrainGeek08

Yep, imagine our faces if they announced that, they would go like :o:o:o

• Like Like x 1
  14. Lil jj

Lil jj Well-Known Member

Another excellent suggestion from the one and only TrainGeek08. I'd definitely buy this for the Northern trains :), I'd love it if the 195/331 were part of the base route though instead of the 150 ngl.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  15. TrainGeek08

Of course, my suggestions are never boring, yeah the 319 is so tempting :love:

• Like Like x 1