Dovetail Games Blackpool Branches Q&a Thread

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by DTG Alex, Nov 2, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTG Alex

DTG Alex Community Manager Staff Member

Good afternoon everyone,

We've just announced the Blackpool Branches: Preston - Blackpool & Ormskirk route is coming on November 14th, and our preview stream will be live on Thursday, November 9th, starting at 18:00 UTC/19:00 BST on Train Sim World channels.

Read more about Blackpool Branches in our latest article!

If you have any questions you want us to address, please send them in this thread! :)
    As a reminder, we may not get to all questions on the stream, but we will look through this thread in preparation.

• Like Like x 10
  2. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Can’t wait. I’m more excited about this than for any other route.
    The article mentions building sandcastles. Does this mean we can leave the station and go to the beach (like in West Cornwall)?

Oh, and we’re not on BST any more :)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2023
    • Like Like x 9
  3. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Will the multiple core issues currently afflicting TSW4 be sorted by then? I really want this to be the route that brings me back to TSW and a Day One purchase if not preorder (assuming there is one with a discount) but the current situation is understandably inducing a sense of hesitation.

• Like Like x 5
  4. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

What tsw4 core issues? If it's core, dtg are responsible since they created it all in the first place. Jt wouldn't be tasked with fixing the whole core

5. coursetim

coursetim Well-Known Member

He means will dtg have sorted out the core issues with TSW4 (Consoles crashing all over the place and more broken stuff with each patch etc) so we'll be able to enjoy playing this route. Because JT could make the best route ever. But if TSW4 is broken it won't matter.

• Like Like x 10
  6. OldVern

The ones that are being discussed at length elsewhere in the forum. Not spending £30 on DLC for a broken game regardless of who the developer is and in case it escaped your notice the route is still being sold by DTG.

• Like Like x 11
  7. Taylor Deay

Taylor Deay New Member

Will JustTrains able to make the BR Class 37 & Class 20 both in BR Blue Liveries since they’ve done a great job on the Class 47 liveries?

• Like Like x 3
  8. OldVern

You beat me too it! Sadly the poster you replied to seems to be one of the "see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil" persuasion when it comes to TSW and likes to try and shout down those with a more pragmatic view.

• Like Like x 9
  9. Mark Moreton

Mark Moreton Active Member

Are there any plans to allow the Pacer and/or the new 47/08 liveries sub into other routes, ie Tees Valley?

• Like Like x 6
  10. rennekton#1349

No. The route is almost releasing soon

11. rennekton#1349

Well I didn't know it was a question towards dtg. Thought it was just trains the question was addressed to. But whatever.

12. Taylor Deay

Taylor Deay New Member

Maybe in the further future they will then

13. OldVern

The OP indicates DTG are running the stream but it is also in JT's interests I would have thought to get some assurance on the matter.

14. Fawx

Fawx Well-Known Member

JT have answered this, it would be up to DTG to enable that. So probably not.

• Like Like x 1
  15. bdlhouston#8691

bdlhouston#8691 Well-Known Member

Does the pacer use the new AP sound pack? And what engine variant is included? Is it the TL11 with the gears? Or the voith transmission?

16. Trainiac

Trainiac Well-Known Member

The pacer is known for bouncy ride quality, so do you think it's as bouncy as is would be irl?

If you've got cab sway turned down to 80% for example how would it affect the pacer?

Since this route is set before the intro of TPWS does this make it unlikely for the pacer to appear as a layer for current for future routes?

17. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Great question, Vern, with a close to zero chance of being answered in the stream. Nice try though.;)

• Like Like x 2
  18. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Preston being my home city I am super excited to see it on the 9th in game!

• Like Like x 1
  19. OldVern

A couple of product related questions then...

1. Why no pre-order/discount?
    2. For those who don't own TSW4 or (in my case) waiting to buy on a secondary platform such as PS5 have DTG considered making this route part of a core product starter pack? If not, why not? (And no answers from the keyboard audience please, let's hear from DTG/JT on the point).

• Like Like x 6
  20. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

Same questions - I’d buy this twice (Steam and PS5) if there is a starter pack. Otherwise the PS5 will have to wait for TSW4. Steam will be a Day One purchase, excited for this just due to the variety of stock.

21. JT Mark

JT Mark Well-Known Member

A simple one really ref pre orders, we have a different view to discounted pre-orders when compared to DTG, we have no history of discounting products before release beyond (I think?) South Western Expressways - Reading, though my memory is blurry on that too. We have full confidence in the product and see no reason to try and tempt people by offering them a couple of quid off. We feel it'll benefit us better financially, and after spending so long getting to this point, that's important!

• Like Like x 32
  22. rennekton#1349

There hasn't been a preorder discount for previous routes. It also doesn't save a lot of money anyway

23. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Those of us on Xbox have never had pre-order discounts on DLC products. We did used to get a 10% Game Pass discount after release but now that TSW is not on Game Pass, I assume this will no longer apply. Oh well, I’ll have to use my rewards points to get a discount.

24. Crosstie

The question was already answered by the route developer.

And your answer makes no sense. Lots of routes have had pre-order discounts. And 10% isn't chump change for some players.

This is JT's first so there's no history.

Lastly, why do you feel compelled to answer questions in QA threads, especially when you were politely asked not to.

• Like Like x 5
  25. coursetim

I'd really appreciate this because for me there's not been enough in the TSW4 routes to honestly justify the price for me (nevermind the bugs etc). So personally I'm either waiting for a sale or for a starter pack and deal for this route. I only play UK content and ECML doesn't really interest me :)

But then I another part of me thinks dtg know full well how excited people are for this route and the work JT have done and will lock it behind their own TSW4 paywall first unfortunately. Which would be a shame. A paywall I won't be giving my money too unless the serious core issues are sorted out first :)

• Like Like x 1
  26. OldVern

I think the individual concerned regards himself as some sort of unofficial pro-DTG/TSW mouthpiece, not the first time our shadows crossed today. Another one with my finger poised over the ignore button.

As regards the pre-order discount, thanks to the JT rep for answering and while it's a bit of a shame I can understand the reasoning. Nevertheless it would have been a nice sweetener and having just paid out nearly £2k for plumbing repairs after a major water leak in the loft, every £ saved helps.

• Like Like x 6
  27. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I'm going to totally swerve anything about cost, paywalls and all that lark I keep seeing. It's indivially subjective, each to their own. It's pretty clear, it's a tsw 4 route to which I've enjoyed and all the new features since 3.

1. What prompted the choice for this route?
    2. What inspired the BR Era
    3. What was the most challenge part of route to build
    4. Thing the team are most proud of?
    5. Anything interesting to wander off path and explore
    6. Is this the route now, or more to tease into it in the future?
    7. How did you find the editor? Do you feel you're in a position to make routes easier now?
    8. Does this route introduce any new gameplay mechanics?

• Like Like x 8
  28. JT Thomas

JT Thomas Well-Known Member

I think i can throw some answers onto this one and thank you for the sizeable amount, lets get straight into it !

1. As a whole team we indeed as you would expect at first to throw many ideas around for what to do. Many other options sounded good but not quite what we wanted to be a stand out route. Anyway in the long run we whittled our options down to Blackpool, Preston & Burn Naze ( excluding Ormskirk at first). We however were told it needed to have more and we decided Ormskirk would be the right place ensuring a complete end to end service within this busy network.

2. BR Era as a whole appealed to us all. The dirt and grime of it all, the interesting locomotives that were going about their day. TSW as a whole also had a great wealth of locomotives and rolling stock for us to utilize and ensure a very complete gameplay aspect could be achieved.

3. I think as a whole we all have had our own challenges others may well be along to add to this. But for myself personally i found the area along the entirety of the Blackpool South branch a rather big challenge. To get the completeness of it in with as much detail as possible. The route runs alongside house fronts and gardens and not to mention passing places such as the Pleasure Beach making it almost the longest continuous section of build up urban area.

4. I think the part we are most proud of and i am sure again someone in the team may correct me if i am wrong here really is Preston Station. Its the heart of the route. This structure took Callum around 3 months to build and it is by far his greatest asset to date in my opinion of his JT career.

5. There are few locations to wander around to, but telling where would be spoiling the fun :)

6. We certainly have more up our sleeve to come in the future to TSW. Stay tuned on that one.

7. The editor, it was very daunting at first. Having being a fluent TS Classic route builder for many years. Moving onto the Unreal editor was like starting from day one all over again. It took a long time to get to speed but over time we as a team have all learnt, supported and taught one another as much as we can. Not to mention all of the help DTG have given us along the way. Without them we would still be struggling no doubt!

8. I wouldn't say new as such, we have just made great use of what is available to us. Remember this is our first foray into TSW a lot had to be learnt which meant it wouldn't be such a walk in the park. But we hope when the route releases everyone who does pick up this route will enjoy what we have created as a whole. It really has been an absolute joy to build!

Best regards, Thomas

• Like Like x 28
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  29. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

I hope it will appear elsewhere. The lack of correct safety systems has never been a problem for DTG so it shouldn't be now.

30. OldVern

Good stuff Tom. As regards built up areas I know from my own experience route building in TSC and Trainz it can take many times longer to populate than open fields and countryside. That’s if you do everything generically and without attention to making things more detailed and in line with the actual appearance. My hat goes off to you and the rest of the team especially having now had the opportunity to see first hand what a pig the TSW editor is to work with (I gave up and went back to TSC and Trainz Surveyor).

So despite my earlier comments, and general state of TSW4 concerns,I think this route still deserves a Day One purchase to support the specific JT effort that’s gone into it. The era and BR Classic diesel festival are what many of us old lags have been on about for ages. I also look forward to seeing where JT go next, maybe a veiled hint on the stream… ;) .

• Like Like x 5
  31. TSW Nathan

TSW Nathan Well-Known Member

PLEASE MAKE A MODERN DAY GAMEPLAY PACK FOR THIS ROUTE!!! :D:)

Would love a northern class 195. :)
    Or awc pendolino. :)

But ATM it's a very good route! Best for tsw so far from what I can tell! Well done!!!

• Like Like x 2
  32. OldVern

Each to their own but the whole purpose of this route is to depict a slightly bygone era.
    If JT did an enhancement pack I would much rather it was something to blend in with the chosen era, maybe a Class 25 loco and a Class 108 or Class 104 DMU. The latter could be reskinned into BR Green and get a layer on PFR for the Buxton shuttle.

• Like Like x 16
  33. coursetim

Hearing how much time wnd work you guys have put into this route and the detail you've gone too has made me so excited for the route!

So excited to see the the route and check out all of the nooks and crannies of that dirty BR era! I was waiting especially for your route announcement and wasn't disappointed!

34. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the response, i have a rather technical question about the implementation of the pacer.

In the JT store i often saw "advanced" versions of products like class 20 or class 60 advanced.

In which category is the upcoming class 142 to find in terms of features?

35. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

Yea I agree, better to keep the route in its era. Perhaps maybe JT or other developer may bring a loco dlc at some point in the future for it.

perhaps a modern version of the section would be on a different route entirely like Manchester - Blackpool or something like that.

—————————————

I don’t have any concerns about the route other than has it been checked/tested how it runs on all Xbox consoles, specifically for an issue of Z-Fighting in the train cabs which often appears on other routes ? (This question would probably only regard the class 142)

36. Will there be some secrets to discover? Easter eggs?

Not just a donkey...

37. matt245621#2075

matt245621#2075 Well-Known Member

The route isn't even out yet and people are already, asking JT to make trains for it.

• Like Like x 1
  38. Maybe they need AI trained up in Unreal editor then they can get their trains built ROFL

39. rennekton#1349

Well if it's a secret, they wouldn't say what it is

40. AtherianKing

they would likely confirm its existence like DTG do with a donkey but not say where it is exactly.

• Like Like x 1
  41. DJsnapattack

DJsnapattack Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 3
  42. rennekton#1349

43. AtherianKing

But any PC store wouldn’t get whatever percentage if purchased directly from JT website.

edit: provided it’s a percentage take not a fixed take for display of product.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2023
  44. OldVern

Buying direct from JT also precludes using Steam Wallet credit.

And while I surely doubt it will be an issue on this one, I assume JT direct sales do not offer the two hour refund window that Steam does for an unsatisfactory purchase.

45. Bravo2six

Bravo2six Well-Known Member

would it still update as required or would it be more awkward process when patches are needed?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2023
  46. rennekton#1349

Buying from jt would probably just give a store key or something or link to the store page of the associated platform, so updates would automatically download through the platform

47. stewartforgie

stewartforgie Well-Known Member

Just wondering, Do JT still offer loyalty points for direct purchases?

48. Crosstie

Yes, that would make it a no go for me.

49. AtherianKing

Question for the stream.

Will the class 142 be a purely stopping at every stop train or does it have variations to that ?

• Like Like x 2
  50. Jay1986

Jay1986 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.