Bnsf Ac4400 Rear Brake Pressure Display Issue?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Rudolf, Sep 9, 2022.

1. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

20220909091435_1.jpg
    I just released the auto brake in the AC4400 at Cajon pass. Brakes were applied to 90% for the steep downgrade. What I see is that the rear brakes are recharged very fast, if I can believe the display. Despite having the dynamic brake at the max, the train should accelerate very fast. It might be that the Rear indicator instead represents the front BP value. Also, the flow indicator is not working.

I would appreciate it very much to have them both working properly, like they do at Sherman Hill.

2. Whitsim

Whitsim Member

Based on that screenshot, you had full dynamic brakes applied but zero air brakes applied. The 90 number you mention represents brake pipe air pressure and 90 is the full release pressure. As the automatic brake pipe is applied, the brake pipe pressure goes DOWN.

For going down the steep grade from the summit, you will need both air brakes and dynamic brakes to manage speed. One other note is that on locomotives anywhere on the train, the dynamic brakes will automatically disengage if the locomotive air brakes are also braking simultaneously. To overcome this, you “bail off” by holding down the independent engine brake until the brake cylinder (BC) pressure reduces to zero. That will allow the dynamic brakes to apply on the locos and keep the air brakes applied on the cars.

Hope this helps and safe travels!

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Is it a top-and-tail consist? It is possible DTG have finally modeled what they hadn't previously, brake pipe refill from both ends.

4. Suryaaji#2369

Suryaaji#2369 Well-Known Member

I assume the rear end of your train have DPU/Helper engine. The new update to banking comm system is the DPU engines mirrored every control input from lead engines. This means the radio controlled engines now charged the brake system and operates it independent brake everytime we make application on lead unit.

5. Whitsim

Whitsim Member

And it also translates into the fact that you can now bail-off mid and rear DPU locos in order to maintain dynamic brakes. Previously, there was no way to do this which meant dynamics kicked out when loco brake cylinder pressure developed.

6. Suryaaji#2369

Suryaaji#2369 Well-Known Member

Such a shame this new update didn't make it to previous american routes & engines. Would be very nice & helpful for us.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Thanks for your comment. I probably took the screenshot at the wrong moment. I know how to do it and I completed the service almost without over speeding ... I still think the rear pressure shows the value at the front engine. You can see it, it responds immediately if you start applying the auto brake, when releasing I also noted there is not a delay.

8. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Which is exactly what you would expect if there's a DPU back there mirroring the controls in the lead

9. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Note, the loco that comes with Cajon is a ES44C4, not a AC4400CW.