Bnsf/up Tehachapi Pass Mojave-bakersfield

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by mrrando19, Mar 12, 2022.

1. mrrando19

mrrando19 Member

Hello for my newest route suggestion I am suggest the legendary Tehachapi pass in southern California. The pass is legendary for it s steep grades and of course the star of the show, the Tehachapi Loop. BNSF and Union Pacific both run mainline freight over the pass that run between Stockton/bay area and moving east going cross country so the route is naturally very busy with an average of 36 or 50 trains a day(I've heard conflicting info) . As I go through this suggestion I will look at possible rolling stock, layers, DLC as well as why this route should come to TSW2.
    What actually is the Tehachapi Pass? Well the Tehachapi Pass is a railroad (I believe) jointly operated by BNSF and Union Pacific. The route runs for 78mi between Mojave yard and Bakersfield. The route would start/end in 2 different Bakersfield yards based on if you are driving BNSF or UP The top speed on the line is 60mph out of Bakersfield. It take roughly 2hrs to cross the entire route. The routes average grade is 2.2%. (I could be wrong but the point is this is a damn steep route). Here's route map:[​IMG]

Now lets talk about the rolling stock I am suggesting for the route. Lets start with What I want to see for UP. I am only suggesting one loco for UP for this route.[​IMG]
    I am suggesting the SD70MAC because we already have the AC4400CW and the SD70ACE as mainline locos and we should get a new UP mainline loco. For layers for UP I am unsurprisingly suggesting the SD70ACE and AC400CW be layered over for even more timetable services!
    For BNSF I am suggesting two new locos to come with the BNSF half of the route. The fist loco I am suggesting is the ES44AC.[​IMG]
    This loco is an integral part of BNSFs transcon mainline from east to west. The second loco I am suggesting is the AC400CW [​IMG]

The freight that crosses the pass is your standard mainline fright such as intermodal, autoracks, gain, tankers etc.
    Now lets talk about the sights on the route.
    [​IMG]
    The route would start at Mojave yard
    [​IMG]
    The old depot in Tehachapi was originally built by Southern Pacific.
    [​IMG]
    The Tehachapi Loop is certainty the crown jewel of route. It is also a marvel of engineering and is a national historic site. The grade of the loop is a challenging 2%ish as you slowly round the loop.
    [​IMG]
    The Giumarra Vineyard as you approach Bakersfield
    [​IMG]
    The end of the route for UP is Bakersfield yard
    [​IMG]
    The BNSF Bakersfield yard is the ending for BNSF
    To end off this suggestion I would love to see the Tehachapi Pass in TSW2 as it is an incredible railroad with frequent traffic. I don't have much else to say other than thank you for reading my suggestion and have a great day!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  2. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Union Pacific doesn't own any SD70MACs, they only own SD70M's. Also Dash 9's would IMO be more appropriate for BNSF vs AC4400CW's as they own a ton more Dash 9's than AC44s.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  3. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Good shout, the problem being it’s already been done in several other sims and the version in Run 8 with various lineside industries to serve, takes some beating.

4. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

I'd like to see C45AHs (ET44ACs) for UP and ET44C4s for BNSF (or perhaps UP C45ACCTEs (ES44ACs) and ES44AC/DC/C4s for BNSF). UP's new SD70AH-T4s could be awesome to see as well, and BNSF is ordering similar SD70ACeP4-T4s with 4 powered axles similar to their ES44C4s/ET44C4s. For switching/local freights, GP60s in UP and BNSF liveries would be great. The UP SD70M is a great idea, as well as BNSF SD70MACs, AC4400CWs, B40-8Ws, SD75Ms/SD75Is, and C44-9Ws.
    For an SP/ATSF late 1950s version of this route, perhaps we could get F7 A/B units in both ATSF freight livery and SP Black Widow livery, and GP7/9s in both liveries, as well as SP/ATSF switchers (S2, H-12-44, NW2, etc.). An SP SD9 "Cadillac," SP/ATSF RSD15 "Alligators," ATSF SD24, and ATSF/SP GP20 could be added as DLC or included in the base route. An SP Cab Forward is a possible DLC.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  5. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Some of the locomotives are existing in game with AC4400CW needing a reskin from CSX or Union Pacific to BNSF next up is Horseshoe curve ES44AC needing a Reskin from Norfolk Southern to Burlington Northern Santa Fe. Pretty much if you want to be in line with United States Canada and Mexico Freight Railways ordering the same locomotive. If you want something with Heavy horsepower then AC6000CW & SD90MAC Union Pacific paint will do the job 10.4k hp if combined with AC4400CW ET44AC 3000s 16.4k if formation was SD90MAC AC6000CW ET44AC or AC4400CW.
    That can spawn Eastern Time Zone heavy horsepower AC6000CW CSX with SD80MAC CSX 11k hp 15.4k hp if AC6000CW SD80MAC AC4400CW was combined.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 1