Br 420

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by ZeenozPlays, Nov 24, 2020.

1. ZeenozPlays

ZeenozPlays Well-Known Member

On the Roadmap Stream today, they said the 420 is coming to HMA not HRR. Does this mean consoles won’t be able to use it or will the BR 420 get the M3 treatment and use the 423 Timetable?

2. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

My understanding is that the 420 is a former S-Bahn now Regio train service. If S-Bahn it could substitute the 423. If Regio, that’s an added layer which might prevent a release on console given that layers are disabled on HMA.

3. Maik Goltz

Maik Goltz Well-Known Member

The BR 420 is a pure S-Bahn train. It will substitute the BR423 (when possible). If it would be used as a regio train it would only work on high platforms. It has no steps for passengers to board from a low platform.

• Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. ZeenozPlays

ZeenozPlays Well-Known Member

Thanks for the information. Guess console players will be able to use it after all. Will it work on Rhein Ruhr Osten, Köln - Aachen, Hauptstrecke Rhein Ruhr as well?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I could have sworn I read it was in Regio service. My bad. Still looking forward to it though.

6. li150special

li150special Well-Known Member

When I read the Roadmap, the BR 420 strikes me as a little odd. I mean, I really like the vehicles, but I think we should look at it from its German heritage.

If I recall correctly, the 420 was developed for different S-Bahn systems, e.g. Frankfurt, Munich and (if I'm not mistaken) Stuttgart. The trains came in a white livery with eithe orange (Frankfurt) or blue (Munich) band across the windows. This use relates to the code given in the roadmap DBB-L5 01, which indicates the rea between 1951-1990.

Later, the 420 were repainted into the now-valid S-Bahn, or more generally, regional, paint scheme in red with white accents. That would be period-correct for the time until 2010 and, possibly, even after 2010. The 420s were also used in the Cologne and Rhein/Ruhr areas, so in theory they could make an appearance on HRR, RRO, and possibly even SKA.

The combination of a 420 set in the period pre-1990 with HMA, which shows the situation as of today, seems a bit strange to me. I am looking forward to seeing pictures of the livery to be used on the 420.

• Like Like x 2