Br Class 31 - Passenger Services

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by jamiebrannan13, Nov 15, 2019.

1. jamiebrannan13

jamiebrannan13 Member

Hi Guys,

I wasn’t around to see it for myself but I was wondering was the BR Class 31 used for passenger services on the tees valley line in real life?

On the release video for train sim world recently they show it pulled a two car class 101 set? Is it mean or does that seem kind of pointless since the 101s could operate themselves Including simply swapping ends at final stations rather than uncoupling the 31 and swapping it around?

2. Manclion

Manclion Well-Known Member

By the late 80's first gen dmu's were over 30 years old and being run into the ground.
    Wasn't uncommon to see them being dragged by an unusual locomotive after falling, to cover the diagram.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

If a Class 101 failed then it's possible they would use a locomotive to haul the unit. It wasn't a planned or regular occurrence, but it did happen. I don't know why they didn't choose to include a couple of BR Blue/Grey or Regional Railways Mk1 coaches as it's just as likely they'd have substituted the DMU with a locomotive and coaching stock.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Is the particular 31/1 thornaby based loco, one that would have needed a headlamp and cab phone in order to be more than a rescue or cement loco, I dont know.

5. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

i think its pointless the 31 just pulling 2 coaches, seems a waste to me. why not let it pull 3 cars sets or 2x2 cars sets or just 6 cars. mind you there is no passengers on TVL. i dont think people live in this DTL world. as for Saltburn a seaside town its deserted, a shame .

• Like Like x 3
  6. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

I thought this, but in the case of a dmu failure, they could just seperate the failed unit or just switch to one set of engines, meaning no need for 31.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Digital Draftsman

If the DMU isn't operating on all engines then it may not be able to keep to the timetable, in which case a locomotive may be drafted in. The failure doesn't have to be a mechanical one either. It could for example be the AWS on the DMU is defective. Running without AWS would limit the DMU to 40mph, so in that case a locomotive with functioning AWS would be needed to operate the service to the booked schedule.

It's also possible they would substitute the DMU with a locomotive and coaches, but even then it would still only be two coaches as the service would be a like-for-like substitution. Perhaps DTG could have provided a couple of Mk2s from NTP or repainted some Mk1s from WSR, this would have added a little more variety. But still, what DTG have done is realistic.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

In that regard Id love them to do something with ai on the mainline, some repainted BGs with a 47 or something. purely for passing traffic.

• Like Like x 2
  9. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

I think this solves a major br 101 problem,most players have with the br 101's thats the very hard to use gears system,by adding a br 31 loco or almost any desiel loco to the br 101's you make passenger operation possible for more players again.But if you use only br 101's center cars from a 3 car set you could get people past the problem they currently have with the idea of having a loco pulling regular br 101 sets.

10. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

Do people have a problem with the 101's manual transmission? Wait for the right RPM, throttle ide, shift gears, throttle up again...

11. Digital Draftsman

I've been told by people on console there's no way of using the console controller to change gear without using the analogue stick to click and drag the controls in the cab, which quickly becomes a chore. On PC we have keyboard shortcuts to change up/down and a mouse to click and drag, both of which are easier. Quite why DTG couldn't map change up/down to the console controller is a mystery.

Edit: I stand corrected, see below!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  12. Tonto62

Tonto62 Well-Known Member

The D pad can be used to change gears on the PS4.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Yes D Pad for Gears. I've almost exclusively used this on the 101 apart from the initial tutorial. I think in the same tutorial it also pops up at various points to tell you a certain function can also be completed via the controller...doors, lights, wipers etc so you don't have to use the loco controls if you don't want to

• Like Like x 2
  14. Digital Draftsman

Is that on Xbox too?

15. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Not sure but I would assume it’s the same. Can Anyone on Xbox confirm?

16. paulgregs

paulgregs Active Member

Yeah, that's the deal on Xbox. Use the front shoulder button to idle the throttle, up or down on the d-pad to shift then rear shoulder button to throttle up....

17. paulgregs

paulgregs Active Member

Its actually quite easy to shift gears just gauging the sounds and getting used the timings of it after a while, don't even need to look at the panel really....

18. R62A1973

R62A1973 Active Member

Revv’d up achievement won’t unlock on Xbox

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  19. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

Feels good when you couple a few up:

Attached Files:

20. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

Is this a senario planner or a off the rail option?and what kind of consist are possible?

21. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

I got the idea from ADSTRAINUK.

You have to use the scenario planner.
    Put your service at a station and then put another train at the station behind. Then reverse to the last signal and couple up to the stationary train or go forward to the signal and wait for it to catch up to you. Then couple it up.

This one I put myself as the 31 and 101 at Marske and then put the 6 car 101 at Saltburn and just reversed to couple up to it.

22. kt291076

kt291076 Active Member

Not tried it since it has come on to TSW 2 but originally my problem with the 101 was the brakes. One of 3 things happened. Stopped too short, sailed past the station or went that slow to try to stop in the right place there was no way of staying on time. I could do with some easy tips on the brakes on XBox for when I attempt the 101 again.