Cajon Pass Feedback

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by richardwwoodward, Sep 3, 2022.

1. richardwwoodward

richardwwoodward Active Member

First off, I have to say I love Cajon Pass so far. It looks great, is nice and busy and the GEVO is everything the one in Horseshoe Curve should have been.
    The Armstrong Powerhouse sounds are superb, and finally what us North American based railfans have been waiting so long for.
    Couple of issues noticed so far.
    1. The rear locomotive lights do not work on the GEVO
    2. There is no sound of thunder for the lightning which is really disappointing. I can’t hear any thunder on the other routes either which is such a let down.
    I’m playing on PS5

• Like Like x 1
  2. ehz0689

ehz0689 Well-Known Member

Does the freight cars appear suddenly in the yard for you?

3. richardwwoodward

For the most part no, but one time in the yard when I was passing some other cars they popped in out of nowhere. Other than that I haven't seen anything weird

4. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

Thank you for the feedback, glad you like the route, could you send us these for the issues, then can be looked into.

Issue Summary:
    Platform:
    Game Mode:
    Route Name:
    Loco Name:
    Service/Scenario Name + Start Time:
    Step-by-Step Instructions:
    +Screenshots
    +Video Links

5. DigiTMCN

DigiTMCN Member

Also on PS5 horn gets stuck and keeps playing over and over

• Like Like x 3
  6. CUFCfan616

CUFCfan616 New Member

I'm following the steps for the ES44C4 Training Module on Xbox Series S and after applying throttle where the voiceover indicates you'll be able to verify power is being applied, no power is being applied and after I follow the rest of the instructions to release the independent brakes I'm not moving. The tutorial just follows on like I am moving though and directs me to coast and then come to a stop even though I haven't budged an inch

7. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Well-Known Member

The Engine Run switch is off, but the instructions don't advise you this - this will resolve it for you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. richardwwoodward

Issue Summary: Rear lights do not work on the ES44C4 (GEVO)
    Platform: PS5
    Game Mode: Journey
    Route Name: Cajon Pass
    Loco Name: ES44C4 (GEVO)
    Service/Scenario Name + Start Time: All scenarios
    Step-by-Step Instructions: Rear dim, med, bright, and bright aux do not function when switched on from the cab controls
    +Screenshots
    +Video Links

Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
  9. richardwwoodward

Issue Summary: No thunder sound with lightning
    Loco Name: ES44C4
    Service/Scenario Name + Start Time: Victorville to Barstow 17:50
    Step-by-Step Instructions: N/A
    +Screenshots
    +Video Links

10. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

I guess this doesn't need much specifics as it's a scenery thing - one of the Barstow sheds is not exactly loco-friendly. This track normally accessible and used in timetable.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. Thorman

Thorman Active Member

Yes on Xbox Series X You have to be next to the wagons or assets for them to pop.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ehz0689

ehz0689 Well-Known Member

That's not supposed to happen

• Like Like x 1
  13. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

An I clarify something with gevo please. You don’t seem to able to change brake settings and everything seems ready to roll immediately. Am I missing something not needing to cut in, change to lead and charge. Seems dumbed down

14. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

Actually, this is more realistic. When a crew brings a train into a terminal and that train is going on, they leave it set up and place the locomotive into 3 step protection: Reverser is in neutral and out, field switch is off, and brakes are set, but not dumped, so the train still has air. If you are starting out with a new train, then you may have to do the pumping up of the train, but the hostler who brought the units over from the house may have already done this if you start out at the train. If you are the one that brings over the locomotives to the train, then the air will probably be very low in the cars.

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  15. GrayDawg

GrayDawg Well-Known Member

On the PC, in the first Journey scenario you can drive, the sound completely cut out on me with like 3/4 minutes left if the scenario. I had sound in other windows applications when testing, so sound was working, just not in game. Also had a buss spawn into a railroad crossing almost on top of me when passing it. Other than that all looks and works pretty good I suppose. I do get an annoying hiccup every 30 secs or so, but is over in a split second. Quite consisting, though. Playing in 4K and just about everything maxed. I'll fiddle a bit with the settings and see if I can find something that will help.

16. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

That looks more like a track laying issue, that door IRL doesn't have a piece of track going thru it, as it stops away from the building on both ends.
    aaaa.png

But that is correct for the building.
    showimage (1).jpg

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  17. Sharon E

Just ran the service, U-HOULAC6-05, which is 14, 309.5 tons, 95 cars and 1.1 miles long. Had 4 Es44-C4s in front and 3 in the rear. I encountered a fair amount of stuttering during this 45 minute run. Fps, when running smoothly, were noted in the mid 80s, but saw drops into the 30s at times. This was not much better than TSW2.

18. johnbirch#4603

johnbirch#4603 Active Member

Minor point, but at the start of the tutorial it say to hold down a key to run = when we know that it is now run the default, and you press a key to walk.

19. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Well then they'll either have to make the hole bigger or divert the timetable service (the last Barstow switching IIRC)

20. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Well, thats dumb that they are routing cars thru there.... Someone didnt do their homework...

21. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Usually, with the big US diesels, the only time you'll have to cold start the loco is in the tutorial. In scenarios and services, the train is more or less ready to roll. The only things you might need to do are switch in the reverser, turn on headlights and turn on the comms. Sometimes, gen field or control might need switching on and there are the optionals like ditch and crossing lights ( in the yard ) and desk lights.

I wish there were more cold starts.

You're right, there is some dumbing down for the kiddies and for those who are used to the emu push and go toys.

( Sorry for the snark.) ;)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  22. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

However, up until now you got into the cab with the brakes cut out and dumped (which in Sherman Hill made for looooong wait times before they patched it).

• Like Like x 1
  23. chieflongshin

Yeah and this is what I noticed. It's another case if they put a functionality into the game, you get used to going into the mfu, cutting the brakes, setting the lead loco and then boom..... we're back to not needing to use the mfu.

The game asks when you first start it whether you're a first timer or not, I think that should determine how much functionality the trains have perhaps. How long before we fire up a route and the ability to run around the map has discretely disappeared :D

• Like Like x 2
  24. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Well-Known Member

Wow - I just had opportunity to play this on my setup with a subwoofer... and that bass on the ES44C4 is a great rumble - to the point it got away from me coming downhill as I stopped concentrating to post this...

25. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

chieflongshin in long discussions with engineers, this need to cut in brakes etc is just not how it works in reality when you take over a service. So all the presets are now set with it all set up and ready to go - this is all discussed and agreed with real world engineers, might feel dumbed down but in reality, it was just wrong before.

All the same settings are there and if you cold start a loco or something you'll find all the same stuff works as before.

The goal wasn't to simplify it, but first and foremost to get rid of extraneous complexity that's actually inherently wrong in the first place.

(and no, we won't be adding a "make it wrong! I like it difficult!" setting :) )

Matt.

• Like Like x 11
    • Helpful Helpful x 6
  26. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Well-Known Member

But, of course, cold starts are barely used.

27. Sharon E

TrainSim-Matt is totally correct, as I noted in my post just after chieflongshin's post on this. A terminating crew puts the loco into a 3 step setup and leaves it for the next crew. I had been complaining earlier in the life of TSW at how unrealistic it was to find an ongoing train basically "dead in the water".

• Like Like x 3
  28. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I must admit it was quite nice to get in the GEVO and other than putting either the engine run or generator field switch up, good to go.

I was one of those who frequently requested a Run 8 style pop up box to quickly set up the loco and DPU's so my wish is actually fulfilled.

• Like Like x 1
  29. DTG Matt

Indeed, but we've settled for trying to be more authentic.

Training Center locos are all cold and dead if you want to do some startups and configuration there but you are unlikely to find cold and dead on the service mode timetable as AI trains can't handle it.

• Like Like x 2
  30. chieflongshin

Thanks Matt, and darn you. I like all this fathoming out what the devil is going on at times. I've too much time on my hands :D

31. DTG Matt

Go play in the training center :)

• Like Like x 2
  32. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I think I'll pay a visit to the TC. I hadn't intended to, but it sounds as though it might be interesting.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  33. Sharon E

Tell you what chieflongshin, if you really want to sit in the cab for 20 minutes while the air pumps up in 90+ car, then once you sit down dump the air by putting the brakes in emergency and wait for the bp to hit zero, then start your day.

• Like Like x 4
  34. solicitr

This will also avoid a problem on multiple routes, notably Clinchfield and Sherman Hill, of spawning into a cab and immediately starting to roll away because there's nothing holding you in place on a grade! This is especially nasty in one of the Clinchfield services, where it's pitch black dark and you can't even find the brake valves.

35. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

One thing I have noticed setting off from San Bernadino towards Victorville - the car spawners on the adjacent road and traffic are behaving oddly. Vehicles are vanishing and spawning "on stage", several locations they are floating above the road surface and I witnessed one do an abrupt reverse of direction and head back down the same side of the road it came from.

Not a game breaker but it does spoil the immersion a little bit.

• Like Like x 2
  36. Lovin this route so far.

37. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Is this something that could be explored in the future? AI that can start up a loco?

• Like Like x 1
  38. Sharon E

Suggestion on how to easily increase the number of services on this route. Many of them that are now in the sim are through trains headed east or west, but we are only seeing a part of its run over Cajon. Example was one I ran yesterday, U-HOULAC6-5, This is a Houston to Los Angles train that we run Barstow to Victorville. How, why couldn't the people at DTG who write these services have put in the Victorville to San Bernadino part of it also, thus giving another service. There are a number of these service trains in the route which could be extended for their entire run. Splitting them in the middle does shorten the time since we do not have a save function yet.

Also, I will probably stop using dynamic weather on this route. If it rained as much as we are seeing due to dynamic weather this area would be a verdant green oasis. Now don't get me wrong here, I am actually liking dynamic weather.

• Like Like x 1
  39. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

The yards are so much busier then SPG, HSC and SH. They really feel like you are snaking out of a working yard onto the main line. Please don't let this be a flash in the pan, let's have all new routes with yards like this please.

• Like Like x 2
  40. met_cui98

met_cui98 Member

Generally, I am seeing both parts of the split services.

I have the second part of U-HOULAC6-05 departing Victorville at 11:05.

I checked all the ES44 trains going to/from HOU and to/from CHC, and they all have the second part to their service, with the exception of M-HOULAC6b-05, which only runs Hesperia-San Bernardino, but may potentially be a train that splits.

41. richardwwoodward

I don’t know about anyone else but I think the ES44C4 sounds better than the ES44AC in Horseshoe Curve but is still desperately missing the bass throbbing sound of these engines. It also needs more of the harsh sounds like the ES44AC has.

And of course I am BEGGING for the SD40-2 to be louder and bassier sounding. It’s is whisper quiet and weedy sounding compared with the real thing. I love the SD40-2, but the insipid sounds really spoil the experience

42. solicitr

Yes, I do get the impression that DTG having implemented dynamic weather are sort of like American craft brewers when they discovered hops: Let's use LOTS, all the time! So that most American IPAs taste either like grapefruit or turpentine.

We get that DTG are proud of their new toy; but really, it needs to be dialed back. Make the "time slices" longer, and weight the RNG more heavily toward "keep unchanged."

• Like Like x 4
  43. solicitr

It's there, but you need to have a good subwoofer or really good headphones.

44. raptorengineer

raptorengineer Active Member

hey DTG is it possible to fix the fright cars popping up in consist or is that unreal engine limitation?

• Like Like x 1
  45. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

https://www.trainsimcommunity.com/mods/c3-train-sim-world/c20-sounds/i2845-bnsf-es44c4-sound-patch

46. richardwwoodward

Issue Summary: Cannot reenter cab on ES44C4 (GEVO)
    Loco Name: ES44C4 (GEVO)
    Service/Scenario Name + Start Time: All scenarios
    Step-by-Step Instructions: Exit cab and walk down gangway and you are unable to return to the cab.
    +Screenshots
    +Video Links

47. richardwwoodward

48. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Well-Known Member

Has anybody managed to complete the very first service on the timetable using the ES44C4?
    I've tried everything (including ignoring speed limits for a greater run up speed) to get up that first long incline but the engine seems to constantly falter (the amps just fall away and return again), making it impossible to maintain enough speed to reach the summit. Eventually the train comes to a halt, wheel slips to 200mph+ under braking when rolling backwards and falls to pieces (bits of train flying all over the place) before telling me I've failed.

Handle in, reverser forward.
    Generator field on.
    Comms on.
    Flush the brake cylinder (it shows 0.2)
    Notch 2-5 to get the train rolling
    Maintain 9mph til the 25mph speed change
    Notch 6-7-8 to get the train up to a max 29mph up the 55mph hill.
    What aren't I doing right?

49. bensconnolly

bensconnolly Member

I feel the same! Do I have to go back to the rear locos and set them up as well?

50. Cygnific

Cygnific Well-Known Member

There is a piece of mountain missing and some static clouds on the side of a few mountains. No idea of where but it was in the Fire something mission.

Screenshot1.png Screenshot2.png