Cajon Pass: Prediction, Speculation, And Nit Picking Thread

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Blacknred81, Aug 9, 2022.

1. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

I suppose they could include them at a later date, bundled alongside a locomotive add-on for the route. Of course, it can only happen if they even model these local industries. It would be a logical move to make, of course they're not always known for logical moves. But one can hope.

Two thing I already dislike about the route from the previes videos and screenshots though, is the european freight containers and cars running around with yellow british licence plates once again.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Yeah, would be nice if DTG could get some of the Asian international container brands for them, since those are what are usually seen on the international stack trains out here. I also wish they split up the 40ft and 53ft containers into their own trains, since they are rarely mixed with each other anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  3. gazz292

gazz292 Well-Known Member

Are they yellow only on the rear of the car? or yellow on the front too??

british 'number plates' as we call them would be yellow on the rear, and white on the front.

however Holland has yellow number plates front and rear.

4. Dinosbacsi

They are yellow on the rear and white at the front.

5. gazz292

gazz292 Well-Known Member

ahhh... so kinda like how we used to get english police cars driving on German roads in TrainSimulator 20xx, :(

6. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

7. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

Well then, achievement completed
    ScreenShot_20220815114703.jpeg
    Guess there were enough to get it done.

• Like Like x 1
  8. EpilepticWeasel

EpilepticWeasel Active Member

You guys think they will have proper Union Pacific layers?

9. Blacknred81

That's good to see, though wondering if they will be branded BNSF hoppers or the generic DTGX ones from Sherman Hill. Either way, it should add some variety to the route.

So far I've only heard that there is subbing at the Palmdale cutoff, but that's it, no UP trains on the main line.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
  10. Blacknred81

So from the stream we got the 1st look at the Bulkhead Flatcar via the Livery Editor, not sure what color the actual one will come in though. BNSF does have their own fleet of Bulkhead Flatcars, but DTG may also use a generic yellow one based of a TTX car with the DTGX Reporting Mark. There is also a preview of the Autorack, which is similar in design to the UP one. Which only the older BNSF cars with the older logo have, not the newer ones with the Swoosh font. There is also for some reason 2 boxcars.....
    a.png
    b91c6eaaa85ac154bb4e348d95475d34.jpg
    CAFL-TRIN-BULK.jpg
    BNSF-TTGX604076.jpg
    dsc_2346-e1552487399294.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  11. Challenger3985

Yeah, after seeing the latest Dev Diary, I'm still not convinced both the GEVO and the SD40 (updated or not) are the right choice of locos for this route. So until the route preview next week, that's all I'm gonna say to this.

But, nice looking hoppers though.
    ScreenShot_20220815114703.jpeg
    At least they're not DTG white this time.

12. Blacknred81

Ok, so stumbled thru the 2 videos today and here is what I pulled out of them....

1st is this location, which is the Lower Narrows north of Victorville. Only issue with these shots are the Autoracks, which still seem to have UP markings on them, hopefully those are just a placeholder for now...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All of these photos seem to be around Victorville itself.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This shot is interesting, as it shows that the 3-Bay Cover Hopper will be used for the Cemex Plant at Victorville
    [​IMG]

These photos seems to be around the Upper Narrows on the other side of Victorville
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This in cab shot of the ES44, is approaching Summit, heading Westbound.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We also gotten our 1st look at the Bulkhead Flatcar, in TTX yellow, but most likely branded for DTGX, seen both empty and with pipes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These 3 sequences seem to be a freight leaving the BNSF yard next to the Inter Rail Transport facility in San Bernardino. The last photo definitely looks like the Wye just north of there. Also note the yellow TTX-esque High Cube Boxcar in the 1st shot.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Blacknred81

This location has me a bit stumped, thought it was around the Inter Rail Transport yard in San Bernardino, but alot of the tracks don't make sense, but they also don't fit anywhere else on the route......

Also DTG, please fix the number series on the BNSF SD40-2....
    [​IMG]

SD40-2 cab
    [​IMG]

I believe this is also Victorville, but it looks a bit odd or off....
    11.png

Yeah, glad they actually went with branded BNSF hoppers for this route, shame the same cant be said about the Sherman Hill ones.

14. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I noticed on the Training Center stream that the SD40-2 has the same bug as it did in Sherman Hill where the folding mirror selection tool stays on screen when the mirror is folded meaning it is there all the time you are looking directly forwards in head-out view. This will only affect players using a controller I think but is seriously irritating.

15. davejc64

davejc64 Well-Known Member

Another slow dawdle at 30mph route taking hours to complete a relatively short distance. :(

16. Blacknred81

Outside of Cajon Pass itself, the speeds on the Cajon Subdivision are quite fast. At least 45mph plus.

Don't spew nonsense if you don't know the route.

• Like Like x 7
  17. Suryaaji#2369

Suryaaji#2369 Well-Known Member

Well, American freight stuff surely not everyone's cup of tea.

• Like Like x 1
  18. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Yes, it’s going to be great. Slowly but steadily taking your time hauling a huge amount of cargo behind a bunch of powerful machines, taking in all the scenery and doing what an engineer would do in a real life train. It’s what train simulators were built for. Get yourself a big flask of your favourite hot caffeinated beverage and enjoy the best for longer.

• Like Like x 6
  19. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Tell us you just saw American freight and wanted to look silly?
    85mile route and if you did some due diligence you’d know it’s not slow all the time. Congratulations

• Like Like x 8
  20. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

This is long distance American freight. It is a kind of railroading that exists in the real world, just as the HS1 also exists. That's why DTG is modeling both.

If you'd like to live in fantasy land, just drive high speed trains.

There is an option in TSW3 to purchase just the high speed routes. Feel free to choose it.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  21. Challenger3985

At this point, I'm finding the whole "long and boring freight route" thing getting very repetitive now in here. If you don't want it, then don't buy it, simple as that.

• Like Like x 7
  22. grdaniel48

grdaniel48 Well-Known Member

Of course it is a fact of personal taste!.

I like both... the high speed ones, and the big US freight.
    As mentioned before... the important issue is you be entertained!
    US freight in a route like Cajon pass, implies 2 different ways to drive it.
    Depending on what direction you are going to.

Going up hill on any route implies just maximum throttle in general.
    But going down hill, requires braking "feeling", about how to use them.
    US freights adds the special Dynamic ones - of course if being programmed as on real life - , which it is very interesting an different driving experience.

Apart from that Cajon Pass is a legendary and classic route of US freights.
    For me is really enjoyable!
    I have it on MSFS and on OR.

Furthermore you have to add the traffic, which will implies yellow and red lights.

All of that it is not so common on High speed routes.
    Which I also likes. But I prefer to have regular speed mixed too, in order to have more entertainment.

• Like Like x 4
  23. Dinosbacsi

Two things that are really noticeable on these screenshots:
    • We still don't have headlight flares, something that the original TSW used to have.
    • Tracks in the yards once again look like toy train tracks with the ballast sticking out so much from the ground and being different in color.
    Sure, these are small things, but they really ruin the look. Especially the tracks. I can't believe the leading train simulator in the market still looks like it has Kato model train track pieces placed alongside each other for tracks.

• Like Like x 6
  24. Blacknred81

Yeah, it's quite odd that DTG can't match the ground color to the ballast cover, it would seem like a simple fix.

25. davejc64

Seems I upset a few over sensitive souls with my opinion, all par for the course, the list grows longer.

26. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

My friend, this is a thread going through all the little details and information on Cajon Pass, seeing what to expect from it. You can’t toss out the “it’s my opinion” excuse if you went into a “speculation and nit-picking” thread just to say “ooohh I don’t like freight routes, I think they’re slow and boring”. I’m pretty sure that’s not what this thread is for.

(Sorry to others if I seem like I’m getting argumentative with them, I’m not intending to)

• Like Like x 12
  27. Suryaaji#2369

Suryaaji#2369 Well-Known Member

well said sir

28. davejc64

Indeed! :cool:

29. Blacknred81

So one thing I'm think is gonna happen with runs in Cajon is that each run thru train is gonna be split into 2 services. With runs stopping either at Cajon summit or Victorville. I mainly think this for 2 reasons.

1. The removal of the save feature.
    2. To cut down on the overall length of services. A service run between San Bernardino and Barstow may take about 2 hours. (Based on the SWCs timetable)

I hope I'm wrong, but IIRC Sherman Hill runs were also split into 2.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Anthony Pecoraro

Not all of them are.

• Like Like x 1
  31. Blacknred81

Hopefully that stays true for Cajon as well then, would like to experience a full run from Barstow to San Bernardino or visa versa without interruptions.

Would also like to see proper use of the crossovers, but I don't think TSW's dispatcher can handle that....

I always once back to this preview every once in awhile, has some great shots from the Cajon sub. I should also re-watch the actual Cajon cab ride (IIRC was Vol 2.)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  32. Anthony Pecoraro

Proper use of the crossovers?

33. Blartthaniel42

Blartthaniel42 Well-Known Member

I think my biggest nit pick right now is the SD40-2 and how it's just reusing all of its sounds from the Sherman Hill SD40-2. I mean I was hoping they would at least use a different horn sound like a RS3L or RS3K. Of course I'm also a huge train horn guy, but they could have at least made it a little more unique sound wise. Hopefully someone will release a mod or it gets updated later.

• Like Like x 1
  34. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Active Member

I'm interested in seeing how the ES44C4's dynamic brakes work. Will they be like the SD70 and some of the other US locos where you can finely tune them to hold you at your desired speed? Or will they be like the ES44AC from HSC and have dead zones in the handle's movement between points where the braking force abruptly jumps up a large amount? Hoping its the former.

I'm curious about the ES44C4's sounds too, that was a bit of a weak point on the ES44AC. I know HSC wasn't made by DTG but I wonder if any sound improvements could be carried over to the ES44AC.

DW

• Like Like x 2
  35. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

This is turning into a "I don't like US freight routes, how dare DTG spend time making something I don't like" entitlement thread....

36. This is going to be a magnificent route.

37. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

One thing I'm really hoping DTG gets right for Cajon Pass is making the freight yards actually busy. It's something that they haven't really done well for any TSW freight route. When you look at any freight yard in real life, especially a big one, it's FILLED with different freight rolling stock and locomotives sitting around. It's a dream come true!

I'd at least want something similar to how they did Oakville Yard, which I'd say is one of DTG's busiest-looking yards. Perhaps there could even be layers from other routes, so along with the BNSF stock included with the route, the yards could also have covered hoppers and autoracks from other railroads (UP, CSX, CN), open-top hoppers (UP and CSX), 2-bay hoppers, centerbeams, etc. I just want ANYTHING that doesn't make the major yards on the route empty and lifeless.

• Like Like x 1
  38. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Active Member

I agree it would be nice to see more rolling stock in yards. I assume the lack thereof in some places is a sacrafice in the interests of performance. Like the yards on Sherman Hill which cause a signifigant performance hit despite being pretty much empty most of the time.

DW

39. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

Freight car substitutions would be great to see as that frequently occurs in the real world. Perhaps one day DTG can work on a system to substitute foreign traction for trailing locomotives—although the number of different builds of GEVOs and SD-40s that exist might make it hard to get them to play nicely together in a lash-up.

40. Blacknred81

Wonder if DTG would ever apply the low poly rolling stock idea for a freight route, would be nice especially since Barstow looks like this on a regular basis (But I doubt TSW could handle such traffic.)
    west-barstow-rail-yard-from-b-hill-2-jim-thompson.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  41. Dinosbacsi

Rolling stock wasn't the cause of bad performance on Sherman Hill. The two yards were a lagfest even without any rolling stock present. Something was simply wrong with their route building technique. There was once a thread about how objects don't unload and keep their high-detail LODs even when far away.

42. bartolomaeusz

bartolomaeusz Well-Known Member

I agree totally! I once rode Amtrak through the New Mexico high desert on a New Years' Day, drinking a bloody mary in the observation car. Can't find a photo to do the scenery justice, but you can imagine!

43. Dinosbacsi

True. While mountain routes can be more scenic, it would be nice to have a US freight route where you can actually go fast, just like the bottom section of Sand Patch Grade. I mean sure, Sherman Hill also has higher speed limits, but you can't really reach them, as uphill you aren't powerfull enough and on downhill you have to be careful with the dynamic brakes.

44. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

I'd say about 60 % of HSC is a rather high speed and you can reach that speed both ways. I'm pretty sure if a fast US freight route was to be made, with it needing to be set somewhere in a flat area most would complain about it being... well... flat... in the other meaning of it.

45. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

There's more: Matt publicly confirmed that the new reefer cars had been built in a very inefficient manner causing them to consume 10 times (his words, not mine) more resources than they should. It seems that SMH was built rather sloppily, overall.

46. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that any yard is going to be a resource hog because of all the assets that have to be rendered: points, crossovers, signals, point machinery, junction boxes etc etc etc even before we get to road vehicles and clutter. You can only make them so streamlined.

47. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Active Member

That would be cool, I was thinking along the same lines for Sherman Hill where its quite obvious where your train stops rendering behind you. Surely they could create a super simple rectangle with the right textures to render cars way off into the distance.

DW

48. Dinosbacsi

The scenery really did look pretty good, but the tracks and the ballast looked horrible, just like any other US route to be honest. The track ballast is completely different color/shade from the ground, so the tracks really stick out of the ground. Makes the tracks look like modal railroad tracks. SEHS looked much better in this regard, so it was a big downgrade when they switched over to Cajon Pass. And considering you spent 99% of your time looking at tracks, this is a big letdown. How can the most central element of a train simulator route, the tracks, be the worst looking element on the route?

Also, the big yards looked very empty, which was to be expected due to their size, but it's still pretty sad looking compared to SEHS, for example. Also when this route only comes with two locomotives, while SEHS comes with 3 EMUs and one locomotive and extra layers, the contract is quite concerning, it's easy to see who is the favorite child, lol.

Regardless, the route looks pretty good, but the visuals of the tracks really ruin it for me. It's going to be a no from me for now.

• Like Like x 1
  49. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

A bit let down by the fact orange BNSF autoracks were just omitted... "UP autoracks run here often"... well that's not exactly a reason for the trains to be only UP autoracks. BNSF ones should have been made and UP/CSX ones should've been mixed in with them.

Edit: forgot the CN ones... look at the US rolling stock variety we could have.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  50. mbjbjm#7281

mbjbjm#7281 Well-Known Member

SEHS is an already released route. Nothing to do with being a fav child.