Can’t Open Train Simulator

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by Rasucit Nemilos, May 21, 2019.

1. Rasucit Nemilos

Rasucit Nemilos Member

I haven’t been able to open Train Simulator since last night. I will try to open it, and the usual screen comes up, almost like a launcher, but then when it "opens", the window is minimized, though it says it’s maximized, and I can’t play the game.

Originally, I was changing the settings to Windowed, and I don’t remember what the resolution I wanted was, possibly 1400x1060? Either way, it said I needed to restart the game, so I hit Okay, and then when it tried to open again, the issue started, and I tried restarting my computer, updating Windows, even updating Steam. It didn’t work.

I need to know how to fix this problem so I can resume playing. I have included a screenshot of the error that comes up on the occasion that it closes the game forcefully if that helps at all.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. TrainSim-Daniel

TrainSim-Daniel Active Member

Hi Rasucit,
    Please ensure to follow the steps in the guide below:
    https://dovetailgames.kayako.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/267/12/experiencing-technical-issues

3. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

It seems you've tried a setting your system can't cope with and TS has handled this in its usual manner- by falling flat on its face.

I suggest you look in your Railworks folder for a file called something like "playerprofile" (sorry- on the iPad at the moment so can't actually look it up. Anyone?). Either rename it or move it somewhere else until you know you don't need it. That should make TS open with its default settings which you will then need to readjust to your preference but you won't lose your progress- that's stored by Steam.

4. Rasucit Nemilos

Rasucit Nemilos Member

Where in the RailWorks folder is it? I tried scrolling through but I can’t find it. Is it in another folder or am I looking over it?

5. Rasucit Nemilos

Rasucit Nemilos Member

Nevermind, I just found where it is. I’ll see how it works now

6. Rasucit Nemilos

Rasucit Nemilos Member

I tried doing it, I removed the PlayerProfiles.bin file and the game loaded, but then it crashed and gave me an error message. I tried editing the XML file and then I put it back in as a .bin file, and the game was able to load but with the same results. I didn't change anything but the resolution, which I changed to 1280x780 and hoped that would fix things but it didn't. Any more ideas? I followed the guide and did a clean boot, so it's not that.

7. TrainSim-Daniel

TrainSim-Daniel Active Member

Have you followed step 10 to send in a DxDiag via ticket?
    If so could you DM me your ticket number

8. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

Sorry but I haven't had this problem myself so the advice was second hand.

9. svokam

svokam New Member

Hey there, i don't know, if you solved this problem (because it was 2 years ago) so i believe you did. But if not, I've ran into the same problem -> changing from full screen to windowed and i fixed it by just right-clicking the railworks icon and switching from open in normal to maximized window. Hope it'll work for you or anybody else, who have this problem.