Can I Double Head?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by majorminor, Nov 25, 2020.

1. majorminor

majorminor Member

Quick newbie question.
    Can I run double headed trains?
    A common sight back in my trainspotting days, but surely calling for two sets of controls....
    Can it be done?

2. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

Yes, in theory... You'd have to form a consist with 2 locos... I did it the other day with a 56 & a 58!!! You could see exhaust plumes coming out of the roof of both locos but there was no multiple working cables coupled between the 2 locos so I'd imagine that both were working in multiple regardless...

Eric

3. majorminor

majorminor Member

Thanks for that ntypeman
    I was thinking something like this.
    I wonder if I would get similar smoke from both engines?

be5d79200641b4fdd208af382625ea09.jpg

4. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

You can double head, I have done with steam engines. Although you get false boiler pressure readings on the HUD. I don't know how realistic the physics are by adding another engine, although it did make it easier to lift a heavy goods train up a steep gradient which I had been unable to do with just one engine.

5. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

You can add them together and they will both power properly for the most part, but you will only see the readings for the lead loco

6. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

Hi majorminor. Depending on which locomotives you double head together will depend on how they react together, best to try different formations and see what works best.

7. majorminor

majorminor Member

Perhaps a C Works Armstrong 4-4-0 and a Dean Single.
    Very similar engines I would imagine?

8. ntypeman

I wouldn't have thought TS would deal with compatible coupling codes like blue star, orange square, red diamond etc...

Eric

9. majorminor

majorminor Member

You've just gone beyond my knowledge grade, Eric.
    Sadly, I am new to this stuff......:o

10. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

It doesn't differentiate between coupling/control codes. They wouldn't apply to steam locomotives though of course.

11. ntypeman

Many locomotives have the ability to work in multiple - that is upto 3 locomotives with only 1 driver... for your information double heading is the operation of 2 locomotives together with 2 drivers...

Far & away the most popular multiple working system was the blue star as fitted to most locos from class 20's through to 45's & 46's... any combination of these locos could all work together...

Class 47's were never fitted although there were some experiments with various locos.... it wasn't till much later when some of them were retro fitted with a green spot multiple working system (you'll see a jumper box fitted to some freight 47's on the headcode box)...

To be continued...

12. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

You are talking about the real world - in the game you can run almost anything with anything
    Coupling override need to be active to allow trains that can not couple to work together
    With Diesels and Electrics the terms Multiple where all units are under the control of one driver and Tamden where a separate driver is on each traction unit.

Peter

13. claggybob

claggybob New Member

On a not unrelated note... Is it possible (has anyone tried?) to run [in a scenario] a second loco at the rear of a consist working as something akin to a banker? (I presume if it worked at all, you'd have to stop the whole shindig at the top of the gradient to uncouple, but that notwithstanding...)

B

14. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I remember a chap had a steam loco banking the train and as it reached the summit he just uncoupled it whilst still moving and the banker engine just stops. Ok providing you don't have something following you.

15. ntypeman

I don't see why not... Some American scenarios have DPU's (Distributed Power Units) in the middle of a consist...

Eric

Ps... I'll carry on the post that i started yesterday later... work is a pain in the @**... gets in the way of simming...!!!

16. ntypeman

Where was I???

Oh yeah... Class 50's had the orange square code and was unique to them... Whilst designed for multiple working when first outshopped from the Vulcan Foundry the first few locos never had their notable jumper cables fitted and ran with blanking plates and were retro fitted at a later date...

56's & 58's had the red diamond code and were inter-operable however I've never seen a real in service photo of a 56 & 58 working in multiple...

59's are inter operable between class mates and although probably using a similar system to 66's (AAR American system), I'm unsure if a 59 & 66 can work together...

60's as far as I'm aware can only work in multiple with themselves, their multi working connector being behind a small access panel on the nose just above the "headlight strip"

Not too sure about the 67's or 70's but the 70's look to have a similar multiple working jumper socket to that on 59's & 66's

This isn't meant to be an exhaustive list, however if you want to read more on this subject have a look at this link:

Multiple working - Wikipedia
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_working

Hope I haven't bored you all too much???

Eric