1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chicago Area 1950s

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by Buynot, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Buynot

Buynot Well-Known Member

This proposal kind of goes with the "Hotspot Route" proposal I made several months back, however instead of routes branching out for 20-30 miles (because in hindsight that was too short) they branch out for 80-90 miles.
    The windy city of Chicago has been commonly referred to by many as the rail capital of the world, being served by countless different roads for both freight and passenger business. This was especially apparent in the 1950s. During this period there were not one, not two, but three major railroad stations, Dearborn Station, La Salle Street Station, and Union Station, all mere blocks away from each other. With class 1 railroad mainlines branching out in all directions. The Santa Fe, The New York Central, The Pennsy, The Grand Trunk Western, The Union Pacific, The Burlington Route, The Nickel Plate, The Milwaukee Road, and many other major railroads had major hubs in the big city. A route like this would be perfect for train simulator as it would give players the opportunity to drive on nearly every railroad in America. Some people might be thinking about how locomotives and rolling stock could be implemented, and while yes that may be difficult you must remember that many locomotives from these railroads have been already released with other routes, they can just be repackaged into this one, with some generic, unmarked rolling stock to go as part of the route. Once that is done, a whole slew of new locomotives can come with the route as well. Just think of all the possibilities! How about you guys? Is this something you'd like to see? Is my idea too ambitious?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    • Upvote Upvote x 3
  2. Brickrail782

Brickrail782 Member

Sounds good to me!

• Upvote Upvote x 1
  3. jedi247

jedi247 Active Member

Chicago has a lot of railroads running through the city. I'd like this, though. I think the route needs F- or E-Units or Alco PAs for passenger and/or services, GP7/9s, SD7/9s, Alcos, or Fairbanks-Morse diesels for freight, and maybe an EMD, FM, Baldwin, or Alco switcher. I think the route should be limited to one or maybe two railroads.

• Upvote Upvote x 1
  4. Random Railfan

Random Railfan Active Member

I would love to see this! The only issue is that DTG probably would make each line really short and not include nearly enough rolling stock.