Clinchfield Railroad: Predictions & Speculations

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Blacknred81, Feb 18, 2021.

1. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

Not bad of a theory. However, as I ponder this question if the Florida Perish would be part of the timetable then what happens if it reaches the end of the line. Since Clinchfield does have mixed freights through the line but the railroad only terminates (the northern part of the line) at Elkhorn City. Where C&O takes the rest of the train to its final destination.
    I know I'm saying this on a more realistic scale. But, it's just a thought if they do put in the Reffer train as part of the route for TSW2.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I'm as excited about this route as everyone else, but I can't help thinking back to the almost frenzied anticipation for the SEHS in the two weeks before the first stream. Unrealistic expectations and quixotic speculation led to disappointment, even though the route was pretty much as promised, albeit initially very buggy. So let's not get carried away. So far, we know there'll be 2 locos, coal hoppers and a "Santa Fe" style caboose and 62 miles of mainline and branches. No mention of reefers or any other rolling stock. I'd like to be pleasantly surprised by extra stock and additional locos and services post release as with SEHS, but I'm not counting my chickens. Let's hope for a well made route with good scenery, interesting and well made features and fun activities. It's been done before with SPG and the TS version of CRR. So we can be optimistic and realistic at the same time.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Challenger3985

Which is why this thread is called "Predictions & Speculations." Until more details about the included contents of this route are revealed, it's just gonna be wild guesses before we know what's included (when it's near ready with an article that is).

• Like Like x 3
  4. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Well-Known Member

This is done on pretty much every other route I have (US, UK and German) so why would it be an issue in this one?

You take over control of a service that has started from wherever else in the country at one end of the TSW route and take it as far as the other end of the TSW route where another crew take over and continue to its destination.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Challenger3985

For one, it ain't the British Rail or DB (Where their network covers the entire country) nor is it a modern route like CSX. Clinchfield (like many of the fallen flags in the US) mostly stays on their own right-of-way track. Hence why in the past you don't see much mixed locos from different operators (unless they were leased). Unless the railroads merged that acquired the equipments (Ex: DRGW merged with SP).

• Like Like x 1
  6. WaveyDavey

I was under the impression you were saying the Florida Perishables couldn't be included as they originated and terminated far beyond the section depicted in the game???? If that isn't the case then apologies. My point was that TSW currently does this on pretty much all routes..... Is what you are saying that the Florida Perishables ran over this route but they had loco changes at either end of the Clinchfield section so as to add and remove Clinchfield RR locomotives? If so then again what is the issue in them still being included in the route?

And by the way I think your description of the UK and German networks is about 30-40 years out of date also. :D

• Like Like x 1
  7. Challenger3985

Alright, let me rephrase this. If this reffer train stops at elkhorn yard (north end) as intended in TSW, that won't be a problem. But, if it continues to the portal outside of the yard (with the CRR locos) after the service ends, then that's not realistic at all (Unless it was under a different road mark).

And don't even get me started with the privatized operators that run the lines nowadays. Nor do I care about Germany at this point.
    (Note: After realizing my point, I think my brain got screwed on too tight in this problem.)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  8. WaveyDavey

I can't say I've ever hung around at the end of a timetabled run to see what things do. I just let the run finish and give me my medal then just move on to the next one I want to run.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

For game play purposes, if this train were to be included in the CRR timetable, it would most likely end in the Elkhorn Yard, after the player disembark it, an AI driver would most likely take over the service and drive it to a portal north of Elkhorn City, not realistic, but I doubt that DTG will add C&O locos for realism purposes.
    32d2d581ea9cab224d061e0a6c647354.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  10. Challenger3985

True. That train has to go to its destination at some point. Plus it would be pointless to have C&O locos only nestled at Elkhorn Yard just to take the trains to and from the portal. Not good gameplay at all. But as I said previously:
    Sometimes I think waaay too much out of the box.

• Like Like x 2
  11. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

This is pretty much possible, I don’t think DTG would only have us do coal runs and leave us with just, well, coal trains. There should be other service opportunities, so we may see manifest freight traffic, idk about the auto train but at least we’ll get manifest trains. SPG contains a total of 6 rail cars, the intermodal cars, coal hoppers, auto racks, then the manifest cars (covered hoppers, tank cars, box cars). If the clinchfield for TSW is to follow this same pattern, then we should see: coal cars, 1970’s era auto racks, box cars, tank cars, some sort of covered hoppers, and the article mentioned a centerbeam car so we might get that one as well. Of course all cars would be era specific.

The SPG Dash 8 dlc came with a (sort of) new car, which was another type of coal hopper (I forgot the name). If this is also true for the clinchfield, once we get the first loco dlc for the route, it should come with a slightly different car, (reefers are essentially box cars with refrigerators in them:D) which would be the refrigerator cars used in the Florida fruit train.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  12. MetrolinkF125#916

If they do add this train, I don’t think DTG would be able to model the real thing, so they might have to go “off the rails” on this one and have CRR locos take the train out of Elkhorn:D

• Like Like x 1
  13. Blacknred81

So breaking apart the photos in the article today, the following is confirmed.

Looks like at least 2 types of coal hoppers.
    Screenshot_20210310-085041_Gallery.jpg

Clinchfield branded boxcars are confirmed.
    Screenshot_20210310-085003_Gallery.jpg

Mixed consists are confirmed.
    Screenshot_20210310-085027_Gallery.jpg

Also looks like each loco is only getting 1 scheme, but the F7 is getting the Grey/Yellow scheme while the SD40 is getting the Black/Yellow scheme.

• Like Like x 7
  14. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Must admit, this route has just ascended to the top of my "next purchase" list.

• Like Like x 3
  15. MetrolinkF125#916

This route is a no doubt immediate purchase:love:

16. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

yes me too

• Like Like x 1
  17. Blacknred81

Looks like the FGE Reefer car is confirmed for the CRR.
    20210318_092141.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  18. MetrolinkF125#916

Oh nice, so it looks like we are getting the Florida perishable fruit train as a service.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Challenger3985

This means they might be a Florida Perish Train after all (Maybe at least one or two services that are all reefers).
    Which leaves the new rolling stocks that have been counted so far is:
    -50' Boxcars (in CRR, different design than the waffle side from Sandpatch)
    -3 Bay and 4 Bay Coal Hoppers (admittedly, the 3-bay doesn't sound that new after the Dash 8. Just saying)
    -50' Reefers (from FGM, if the markings are right)
    -and a Santa Fe Style Caboose (Fun!)
    Totaling at least 4-5 different models of rolling stock. Interesting to see what kinds of liveries can be done with them.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Blacknred81

Another thing I'm gonna point out here is that the CRR boxcar is not the same as the CSX boxcar that come with SPG, as the construction of the ends and the sides are different (Most likely an older design)
    20210318_124101.jpg
    Snapshot_20200827_222951.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  21. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Quite rightly. The "waffle sides" weren't around in the early 70s.

• Like Like x 2
  22. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Just love Blacknred81's photo of Clinch in the rain.
    What a splendid mucky mess.
    Sadly I doubt the route designers could rise to the challenge.
    But talk about immersion :)

• Like Like x 3
  23. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

The route is looking really good at this point, but the biggest problem I see is a real shortage of locomotives. The long, heavy coal trains out of Elkhorn towards Sandy Ridge needed plenty of help getting up the grade and this was often provided by GP38's and GP7's which would then head back to Elkhorn, ready for the next train. (This was a trip by itself, because the 7's often did not have dynamic brakes). Not having these locos makes the train operations somewhat less interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  24. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Again, I strongly suspect a GP7 DLC will follow. As much as a NW-2 or U-boat would be cool to have, the Geep would add the most, as one loco, to game functionality since it can switch, bank, and fill out mainline traction.

• Like Like x 2
  25. Snek

Snek Well-Known Member

I really hope it does. It's not just functional but it would also look unique with it's high hood.

• Like Like x 2