Clinchfield Session Berta Coal Loading!!!

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by LastTrainToClarksville, May 11, 2021.

1. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Do not miss this one! You're driving an F7 and it's nerve racking -- at least until you get used to the method of loading coal -- which is much more complicated than the tutorial or loading anything on any other route would lead you to believe. Be prepared to save frequently, but enjoy this fully.

By the way, I think I read a thread in which someone complained that there's no coal loading on Clinchfield. Wrong!!! It's right here, and probably elsewhere as well. Switching and loading fans rejoice!

• Like Like x 6
  2. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

I think it's the only one I got into service mode as I wanted to focus on the primary operations of the main turns along the branch lines.

I do want to go back and put in all the loading operations around the route at some point though - the benefit of each cut being relatively short is that it's not tedious, where as loading a 50 car train I find quite tough to keep focus on :)

Glad you enjoyed it!

Matt.

• Like Like x 10
  3. LastTrainToClarksville

Matt: it seems to me that in railroad simulation, as in railroading itself, sometimes tedium is the point. When I first played TS, more than 10,000 hours ago, I found delightful tedium loading and unloading on a quirky route for which I eventually wrote a number of switching scenarios -- several of them quite tedious, but that was part of the point. I don't remember the name of that route, but I can state that its original creator eventually over-expanded it and then a fellow named Otto pretty much ruined it. So the route has long vanished (as far as I know), but my point is that what I remember about it (and about numerous other routes, for that matter, is the tedium. So, please keep it coming!

• Like Like x 2
  4. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

yes agreed, i'm a huge fan, tedium to one person, is calming and relaxing to another. Screeching to a halt station after station is fun sometimes, stressful others. Wandering back and forth in a yard has no stress, it's just back and forth moving cars around. I'm a huge fan, that's why SPG switching and then the service mode on here have really been two of my favourites to develop :) (probably also the hardest, but, that just makes it even more rewarding ;) )

• Like Like x 6
  5. Rutger Luiten

Rutger Luiten Active Member

I starter that post. But I didn't say there is non, but the problem is that it's very limited and it's not possible tot use the coal loading installations besides the 2-3 scenario's and the tutorial in the dlc.

If the coal loading installations works at all Times than it will be possible tot use scenario editor tot do some coal loading with a csx train, that would be a Nice bonus. But your right it's not a show stopper

6. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Going back to the beginnings of Trainz, I remember a delightful little route called Robe River Iron, set in the Australian Outback. The session on that had you loading hoppers with iron ore and included scripted commentary from the train crew. It does give things a purpose. That is why I feel something like the Aire Valley, at least back in the mid 90s, with a variety of collieries and power stations to service would be a good choice for TSW. Though driving a train of 36 HAA’s through the unloader at 2 MPH would take a fair bit of patience and some background music...

• Like Like x 2
  7. Wintermute89

Wintermute89 Member

Working those coal loaders could be the focus of a new loco DLC for CRR. Not sure what exact type of switchers were employed but a small 4-axle switcher like a GP7 or a SW1500 with a bunch of new loading and yard switching services would be a perfect addition to CRR.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I do not mind there is not much coal loading in the timetable, but it is sad to see all those yards where locos are waiting to be driven, but the coal loaders refuse to dump their coal when you want to load it. May be a technical reason, you do not want to load unintentionally, but then please give us a button to activate coal loading ....

• Like Like x 1
  9. LastTrainToClarksville

Happy to be agreed with, Matt, but what does "SPG" stand for?

10. kalteVollmilch

kalteVollmilch Well-Known Member

SPG = Sand Patch Grade, the first TSW route.

11. KoeleKoen

KoeleKoen Well-Known Member

I really enjoy those coal services on spg, drive all the way up there, pushing it onto the branch, loading, pulling it of, shunt the loco around and taking it back, really engaging. Spg still stays nr1 when it comes to gameplay.

12. LastTrainToClarksville

I'll just give myself a dope slap! Thanks.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

4 axle road power for the CRR was GP7s and standard GP38s, they also had 2 GP9s. Some of their GP7s don't have Dynamic Brakes.
    0e0cdc098a776d8c1f37a33c2479b555.jpg
    5038829041_d113f1e4c5_b.jpg

Their switchers were SW7s and NW2s, with one rare NW3.
    5059760497_f5ccdaf8f7_n.jpg
    3676.1377587124.jpg
    5033326163_fb07a40353_b.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  14. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I would love to have an NW-2 just to do that convict-stripe livery

15. pugilist3

pugilist3 Active Member

Hope to see a GP9!

16. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

GP7 is more likely; CRR only ever had two 9's

17. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I have just played this service and it is really good. It’s simple and effective. I hadn’t realised people had been having problems with it, until I searched for a thread to say how much I enjoyed it. It turns out some people were ignoring the dispatcher instructions to wait. The waiting for the main line traffic is part of the fun on this service. The whole service can be done with the independent brake, except for an application of the train brake when parking the loaded hoppers in the steep siding both times. It took me an hour to complete and I got a silver medal and just had a really good time. Better than yard switching, and more enjoyable than some of the branch line hopper swapping antics in the dark on the turns, even though they are also good.

I’d certainly like to see more loading tasks on CRR in the future, with any suitable loco to do it with (I don’t know what’s most appropriate). This service is just 12 short moves, two loads, and a bit of waiting but I enjoyed it a great deal. Being able to see the wagons in front of me from the cab was great. I can see myself trying this without using the external cameras next time to add some risk. Lovely stuff.

• Like Like x 8