Condor (1950s-60s Br Goods Service) Suggestion.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by mca0004, Jul 3, 2022.

1. mca0004

mca0004 New Member

My idea for a DLC: One based around the short lived, yet potential filled Containers Door-to-Door (Condor) fast goods service running from London to Glasgow over night.

I'm not sure of what part of the route would be the best to recreate since it would be impossible to make one the entire near 500 mile long journey. But since it covered most of the Midland Main Line, there is plenty of track to choose from.

The Condor was either made up of one loco, 13 wagons and a guards van, or two locos, 27 wagons and a guards van. It depended.

The DLC could contain three different locos:

British Railways Class 28:
    [​IMG]
    Nickname/s: Metrovicks, Co-Bos, Crossleys, Wonderloafs.
    Wheel Configeration: Co-Bo
    Reason for Inculsion:
    The BR class 28 was specially designed to pull the Condor, a job they did rathar poorly. Not only did their engines fail regularly, they also had their front windshields fall out contantly. While a rather ugly looking loco, they are still quite uniqe thanks to their mismatched bogies and use as a bases for certain children book character.

London Midland and Scottish Railways Stainer Class 5:
    [​IMG]

Nickname:
    Black 5
    Wheel Configeration: 4-6-0
    Reason for Inculsion:
    When the Class 28s would regularly fail, it wasn't uncommon for a Black 5 to take over the failed engine and pull the Condor together with the remaining Class 28. Usually, the Black 5 would be placed behind the working Class 28, as it made it seem like the diesel was rescuing the steam loco, and not the other way round. BR did this since they hated the idea that their brand spanking new shiny diesel was a lemon and the bad press that would bring.

British Railways Class 24:
    [​IMG]

Nickname:
    N.A.
    Wheel Configeration: Bo-Bo
    Reason for Inculsion:
    When the Class 28s were found to be completely useless at the thing they were designed to do (i.e. pull the Condor), the Class 24s took up the mantle, and did the job far, far better then the Class 28s could ever hop to do. The Class 24 would pull the Condor all the way to the end of it's life, before the service would eventually become Frightliner.

The DLC would have these types of rolling stock:

British Railways Conflat "P" Wagon:
    [​IMG]
    Reason for Inclusion:
    Similer to how the Class 28 was designed for the Condor, the Conflat "P" was made with one purpose in mind; make up the Condor. It had space for two different containers; one Type A container, and one Type BD container.

London Midland and Scottish Railways Stove R Van:
    [​IMG]
    Reason for Inclusion:
    Starting out life as a brake coach, these old 6 wheeled gems would find them selves being used as the brake van for the Condor service.

I'm sure they could be loads of other things added to the DLC, but this is just what I could come with?

Why you ask? Well, simple: I love the Class 28 and I'm sad it's not avilable in any game (it used to be, but, uhh, yeah).

Tell me what you think!

• Like Like x 1
  2. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Part of the Settle & Carlisle would be ideal. I believe the S&C route released for Trainz some years ago reproduced the Condor in one of the sessions.