Consist Editor

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by CrazyDash, Jan 21, 2021.

1. CrazyDash

CrazyDash Well-Known Member

What is a consist editor?
    For those who are unfamiliar with what this is, a consist editor is the ability to create your own train sets. You would be able to choose the locomotive you want to drive and decide what trails your loco.

Functionality
    There would be 2 modes within this editor. A standard mode and an off the rails mode. Standard mode will only allow you to make train consists with rolling stock and locomotives that have a specified coupler. For example, in America, you would only be able to pair your locomotive with cars that have weld couplers. You would not be able to pair an AC4400CW with a TGV coach since they have different couplers. As long as the coaches you are putting on your train are weld couplers, you should be able to make a consist with parts being from different routes. For example, an F40ph pulling CSX freight cars. This would bring for a more realistic consist. Then you have off the rails mode. With this mode, you will be able to configure your train however you like. You will be able to make a consist however you like no matter what sort of coupler each vehicle has. You can come up with some of the stupidest ideas for consists such as a 1972 stock pulling a CSX box car. Or an ICE3 pulling a TGV coach. Most likely, there should be some sort of limit. Since the longest trains you can find in this game are on Sand Patch Grade with them carrying about 50 freight cars, 50-55 vehicles total (both locomotives and coaches) would most likely be the limit to prevent lag. This could mean that you could have your entire consist be just locomotives. This opens up the chance to do power moves. When you place a loco or coach, you should get the option of what livery you want to use. Let's say I place an AC4400 down as my lead loco. And I want it to use a custom livery, you should have the ability to choose what livery you want for each coach and loco. There should also be an option that allows you to duplicate vehicles. Let's say I place down a box car with a custom livery. And I want the entire rolling stock to use that exact livery. You could have the option to duplicate it, so you can copy it quickly and efficiently. You could also have the option to remove or change specific vehicles by targeting your camera on the coach you want to change. It would give you an option to rather delete the vehicle, or change it. If I want to chance a freight car in the middle of the train with a diesel, then I get to choose what I want to replace the freight car with, and once I confirm what I want, it will automatically change it. Lastly, you should be able to determine the direction of each loco and coach. When you place a loco down, you should have the option to flip the direction the loco faces.

How would you use consist editor when driving?
    Most likely this would only be limited to just scenario designer. They could also allow you to replace a consist on a timetable, but I doubt they would do that.

How would it be different to Train Simulator 2021's consist editor?
    TS2021's consist editor is fairly bland and boring. TSW should do something somewhat similar to it, but with a more visual perspective to it like the livery editor. You would be brought to something just like the livery editor. When you place a new vehicle, it will move the camera on that new vehicle. This repeats.

How would this benefit TSW2?

This would convince more people to use scenario designer since you can come up with your own consists for your scenarios. This would also allow for even more creativity as now you can drive a custom consist train with a custom livery. I think it would be very fun to use as well so I hope this gets added to TSW one day.

• Like Like x 4