Consistent Driving At High Speed - Dtg Class 800

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by westcastlerail, Nov 15, 2021.

1. westcastlerail

westcastlerail Active Member

Hi everyone
    Just asking to see if anyone has tips on how to drive at a consistent speed in the DTG Class 800?

I am use to in the Class 91 and 390 using the speed control (or cruise control as I know it!)
    ie set it at 125mph and the train will maintain that top speed.

Surely a modern unit of this kind would have some kind of speed control to keep the train and a consistent speed? (I guess its just not been modelled?)

Currently, when on level track, I just have to keep throttling off and on between 124 and 125mph, but this does not seem very realistic to me?

Any advice would be welcome.

2. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

I'm sure I read somewhere and apologise if I've gotten this wrong, but I'm sure I read that some ToCs don't allow the use of speed set/cruise control.
    That would make some sense to me because the thing with constantly applying and releasing power is at least it's keeping you alert and your mind on the job.

As always, happy to be proven wrong and corrected if need be.

Edit: Also in the real world I highly doubt you'd be expected to keep the train running within a 1 to 2mph tolerance of the line speed for the entirety of your journeys

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
  3. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The real80x might have cruise control but the version in TS20xx is a bit basic - it was still a work in progress when DTG originally made the 801 for the London to Peterborough route

Armstrong Powerhouse are making an Enhancement pack for the 801 and I assume it will cover all variants
    GWR 800/801, LNER 800/801, TPE 802, Hull Trains 802, Lumo 803.
    And hopefully the proper bi-mode working instead of having to use two separate versions

• Like Like x 2