Content Sharing Programme

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by jolojonasgames, Apr 23, 2021.

1. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

Hi all, as mainly the PC users know there are a lot of liveries mods and scenarios being shared via unofficial means. This is a great thing, and I as a PC user greatly profit from it. However I'd like to propose an official way of sharing custom liveries and scenarios.

Firstly, I'd like to adress the major problem standing in the way of just allowing players to share everything everywhere: licensing. DTG has explained multiple times that if players were to share for example a BNSF livery, they could get sued, or it could hamper their chances of getting an actual license in the future. In the case of sharing scenarios there is also a licensing issue. For example: DB might not like the thought of the ICE 3 being put in places it can derail easily.

Now my proposed solution, a way to allow for limited sharing of scenarios and liveries while avoiding licensing issues. DTG could select a few player developed scenarios and liveries that don't violate current licensing agreements, or that could be licensed if DTG asks the companies involved for the specific license needed for this scenario/livery.

These liveries and scenarios could then be published oficially by DTG and could be downloadable for free (with permission of the creator). Another option would be asking a small price for them, with part of that going to DTG to make up for the costs involved with going back to companies for licensing, and another part going to the creator.

To select which liveries and scenarios should become downloadable content, DTG could do something like the current screenshot competition. The most liked liveries and scenarios that do not violate licensing agreements or that could be licensed relatively easily could then be selected to add as downloadable content.

The idea is still quite rough, and there are many different options when looking at where the line between could and can't come to the game should be drawn. All in all I do think this would be a great way to allow console players to also get more out of the game, and to give credit to the creators of liveries and scenarios. This option would really get into shape when more scenario and livery editor options become available, that would allow players to create scenarios like the ones that come with the game and accurate liveries.

Anyways let me know what you think, and if you have any suggestions or things you'd like to alter to my suggestion :).

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Commiee

Commiee Well-Known Member

This is not an exact response, but related: there are some examples of platforms enabling simulation playerbases to create skins/liveries without developers being responsible for the content.

I don't know if the same kind of approach would work for TSW2, but the main example I'm thinking of is iRacing, for which players create liveries that can be shared/seen by others in multiplayer sessions via the Trading Paints website and application. TP is not associated with iRacing, so whatever liveries people create is not iRacing's concern. I don't know how TP itself circumvents/solves the licensing issue, but maybe someone else is more informed about this. I just wanted to mention this as a form of brainstorming.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021