Controller Rumble/haptic Feedback Support

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Ghostface1701, Aug 13, 2021.

1. Ghostface1701

Ghostface1701 Well-Known Member

There are a couple of things, in my opinion, that are missing from TSW2 that would add to a feeling of immersion when driving.

One is the g-forces from accelerating, braking, going around curces, etc. which doesn't seem like it'll ever be possible to replicate in-game. The other is the vibration of a large engine, and the tactile feeling of moving levers and flicking switches. Have Dovetail given any thought to supporting haptic feedback for controllers? Most controllers now have haptic feedback to some degree, but support is completely absent in TSW.

With the next-gen console release around the corner, I'm reminded that the PS5 controller in particular has a sophisticated haptic feedback system. The L2 and R2 triggers have adjustable resistance, which could be used to give a better sense of when you move the throttle/brake into a notch. The controller's 'rumble' system is of high enough quality to replicate audio - see the video below of a test someone did, playing the Doom soundtrack through it (using a cardbox as an amplifier):

This got me thinking that it could be possible to take in-game train engine audio, and use that as the basis for vibration in the controller. This seems like a potentially easy thing to implement.

I found a Reddit thread with the steps to output PC audio through a PS5 controller's haptics (https://www.reddit.com/r/PS5/comments/jnp8tu/heres_how_to_get_audio_haptic_feedback_with/), so I'm going to give it a try with TSW2 on PC this weekend, but I hope Dovetail would take a look at doing a proper implementation.

• Like Like x 1