PC Could This Affect Our Sim?.

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Pure nostalgia, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Pure nostalgia

Pure nostalgia Member

Just read that Intel are updating almost all their Cpu's. in some cases reducing their speed by 30%. Will this effect our sim?.
    I have just bought a new top of the range gaming computer almost £1500 solely on the advertised speed of the Cpu.
    Like Ppi this is miss selling, therefore like Ppi, we should all be due some recompense.
    What do you think?.
    https://www.pcworld.com/article/324...ors/intel-responds-to-the-cpu-kernel-bug.html

Mike

2. Jef-F

Jef-F Active Member

Unlikely. Several benchmarks are already out there and it looks like effect on most of desktop applications typical for average PC user (including games) is negligible,while server-side software and various high-performance systems (like RDBMS) are taking the worst hit.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Pure nostalgia

Pure nostalgia Member

Thanks again Jeff

Mike

4. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

WWW Chicken Little syndrome strikes again?

5. jumpjet

jumpjet Active Member

I had a Windows 10 Pro x64 update offered to me today, one of those cumulative updates. Personally I edit the registry to make the system think that I am on a metered connection, this means that no updates are being forced upon me in the background, as you have to give permission to start the update.

Checking the release notes, it included the patch to fix this bug/exploit.

To put my mind at rest, I ran a full set of benchmarks on my system before updating, then once again after the update, knowing full well that I could roll back via my backup disk image anyway. I saw no appreciable difference, just minor differences that could easily be put down to normal variation caused by background tasks. Some numbers were marginally better after patching not just before patching.

Of course I could be benchmarking the wrong stuff, stuff that this bug has no effect upon, and benchmarking doesn't necessarily reflect real application performance anyway.

Anyway, the upshot of all this is that I've not noticed any difference so far, and suspect the media may have over-egged the pudding somewhat. Obviously I've ate some of that pudding, because I never benchmark just because of an update :D

• Like Like x 2
  6. Pure nostalgia

Pure nostalgia Member

Thank you Jumpjet, I too received the update, but automatically.

7. jumpjet

jumpjet Active Member

As a side note, rather than using my suite of benchmarking tools, today I ran the benchmarking tool supplied by Samsung for their SSD drives (Samsung Magician).. My system SSD is a 500GB 850 Pro, and my gaming SSD is a 500 GB 750 EVO.

Reading more about the issue via the link you supplied (and onward links from there). It appears that moving data around on SSD drives is the most likely issue the average user is likely to face after being patched.

Anyway I did see a difference in relation to the previous benchmark that I did on these drives quite a number of months ago. The sequential read/write speeds were unchanged on both drives. However the random read/write speeds (Random IOPS) have changed :-

850 Pro - Random read rate down about 10%, random write rate unaffected

750 EVO - Both random read/writes rate down by around 10%

I can't say for sure that the patch has caused this, just that it's a likely candidate. In reality when doing the normal stuff that I do with my PC, nothing has occurred that has made me sit up and take notice.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1