Deadline To Fix The 155 And The Class 47

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by synthetic.angel, Apr 5, 2020.

1. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

Yes for some reason it's just the PS4. Odd.
    This however is a problem that affects both consoles but not the PC version. Odder still.
    Did your day get any better? :)

I'm not so sure. Both your name and Synthetic Angel's are made up of letters from the same alphabet. ;)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 7
  2. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

I’m starting to get worried as it’s been almost another week with no sign of him.

Surely if he was banned it would say ‘Banned’ or something along those lines where it says ‘Well-known member’ as I know that’s what other forums do so you know if someone has been banned or been put under moderation.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Tonto62

Tonto62 Well-Known Member

Whatever you think of his posts, the forum is certainly less entertaining without his input. I hope he's ok.

• Like Like x 6
  4. jörgen Näslund

jörgen Näslund Well-Known Member

it is quiet and now much more interesting. Dovetail is writing much more here now. I dont miss him for a second. I dont think we see him here anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Olaf the Snowman

Are they really- I’ve not noticed any difference to be honest.

Tonto62 is spot on. Regardless of what you think of him, have some compassion; for all we know, he might have contracted the virus and is sitting in a bed in Intensive care. I hope he’s ok. I might ask the moderators if he has been banned. I don’t want to see him banned obviously but that will probably be good news because at least we know he’s ok and healthy rather than just disappearing off the radar.

• Like Like x 6
  6. jörgen Näslund

Ask them . But I am 100% sure he's banned. In the way he wrote he cannot be very old. "Children" are hardly affected in covid17
    I thought it was strange that he was not banned many months ago. Acting as he did on a forum is so incredibly strange to me.
    But in this world everything can happning. Trump was elected president was not on the map for me but it happened.

But he maybe is still left here but in another name and calmer.......

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  7. Tonto62

I haven't noticed any extra input from Dovetail, apart from Dmitri's announcement. They certainly haven't addressed the issues brought up in this thread. My class 47 is still feeble.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

He certainly brought more colour and interest to these forums than some people, and contributed far more to the discussion than DTG ever did themselves (which I don't think has changed at all in recent times). Let's just hope he's in good health and has found something else to entertain himself, shall we?

• Like Like x 7
  9. jörgen Näslund

I must admit that dovetail not have started writing here so much yet. (but i think they come back soon if the place is nicer)
    But I have follow this forum many year. And Matt and many other have always write her a few times a week.
    But something happened late last year and they moved to other places.
    and I think that depends on the hateful atmosphere here.
    It started last year and has only gotten worse and worse this year. Not only Synt but he wrote most and most aggressive
    Felt like synt was the leader of it and he had a number following him. Now they lack the leader......

That they would remedy fix the shortcomings in TSW they have addressed here is unthinkable.
    It is not the way one does in a modern society.
    If you don't like it, you can't write 300 times about it. threatening the company and everything he wrote.
    if you don't like TSW then you have to give up the game and do something else.

10. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I will agree with you on the fact that he brought colour and interest to the forums, but be that it may the one thing you shouldn't do in the forums is threaten legal action.

As like you I hope that he is okay as has found something better to occupy his time with now.

• Like Like x 2
  11. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

He’s not the only high profile member that is missing either. I won’t mention their names in this post but at least one of them also had a fairly negative attitude towards DTG and was not afraid to say things here. There has to be a balance between criticism, praise and helpfulness when posting in this forum and I think most people have that balance. Some people will overstep the mark occasionally and some will constantly antagonise. I thought at times that SA was trying his best to get banned.

• Like Like x 1
  12. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

A certain forum member might be interested...

Well after all this time is it fixed then? I haven't got the 155 so can't try it.
    If so it's just the underperforming class 47 to go.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Factor41

I'll give it a try this evening. Would be nice to finally get some use out of this DLC. Better late than never, eh?! :)

It's been broken for a year, and there's an update two weeks after his post; seems more than a coincidence that they've suddenly been spurred into action. Either way, I'm glad it's finally been looked at.

14. Olaf the Snowman

What about the HST broken physics and turbo sound in cab?

• Like Like x 1
  15. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

16. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Possibly but there are quite a few fixes there so maybe they were just waiting for them to be ready. As far as I know they acknowledged the fault some time ago,

17. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

Oh I agree, but I was just referencing the specific problems brought up with the locos in this thread. The 47 and 155. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Hopefully it's not me. :D

• Like Like x 1
  19. Factor41

I can confirm: I have driven the DB BR 155 through several tunnels on RSN and (so far) THE SOUND WORKS!! :D

• Like Like x 4
  20. LIRRGuy

LIRRGuy Well-Known Member

The sound is a heck of a lot better now because of the recent update.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Louis-MTA NYCTA

Louis-MTA NYCTA Well-Known Member

The traction motors/fans on the DB BR 155 sound amazing. Also the 155 is really fast I have gotten that beast up to 150 mph or 241 km/h. I can't confirm if the 155 goes that fast in real life but that train I think is the fastest in TSW.

22. Olaf the Snowman

A quick internet search shows maximum speed is 75mph/120kph which is what I was expecting. So you’re at about double the maximum operating speed :D

23. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

My god. This thread is still going?

This made me laugh. Certainly a great way to present an update note.

Factor41 I think I owe you a little apology. I went a lot over the top and didn't think about various possibilites enough before coming to a conclusion.

24. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

25. WVUadam

WVUadam Well-Known Member

It's quite disappointing dovetail games are not patching trains that they released.

26. Betjoin

Betjoin Well-Known Member

27. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

This has been fixed on PS4. Synthetic has asked me to pop in and say:

"Synthetic passes on thanks for fixing the DB BR 155 on RSN on PS4 by (apparently) de-activiating the tunnels on that route - not a perfect fix, but 99% there. The loco can now be fully enjoyed - and it is an amazing DLC loco that can now be thoroughly recommended.

Synthetic is also very pleased to see the fix with the Class 47 on NTP on PS4. The Class 47 can now attain line-speed (so the field divert has been fixed). The other critical fault on PS4 regarding the L1 button has been fixed perfectly. This has not been tested on XBox, or on PC with the XBox controller, but if the transition on brakes between Initial/Running/Release on the XBox controller is replicated on XBox and PC, then it should be fixed on these platforms as well. It is now very difficult to get the dragging brake at slow speeds, and/or from stand-still"

I have also been asked to say that, consequently, no formal action (letters) needs to now commence. The terms of the original post have been met - and the RSN and NTP routes are now working as intended. Synthetic would like to also say, in bold type:

"That wasn't too difficult, was it?"

*[Also - doubling the draw distance through Standedge Tunnel was a nice move too. The visual "expanding light at the end of the tunnel" glitch has now been largely eradicated.]

Finally - Synthetic is now serving out a ban until April 2021, for speaking out against these faults (and against the will of certain vocal Forum members). If Synthetic returns next year, then this will be in a thoroughly re-programmed state, that is 100% devoted to The Company.

If you want Synthetic to return earlier (and in a normal state, with the existing personality chip), then that is a matter between Forum members and The Company. You will have to indicate your support for the ban to be lifted. If there is no such support, then Synthetic says: "That is fair enough. Beep-beep...." Synthetic won't be asking The Company for the ban to be lifted - this is now solely a matter for the Forum to express a desire for it, and for The Company to agree to it.

*CORRECTION: Standedge visual bug (draw distance and/or streaming issue) has not been fixed.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 7
  28. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

29. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

I think you just won the award for best post on the forum.

• Like Like x 2
  30. Factor41

Good to hear that Synthetic is safe and well. Be sure to pass on our regards, won't you?! And thank him for giving the nudge required to sort these bugs. Definitely feels like things moving in the right direction. :)

• Like Like x 4
  31. JohnnyK98

JohnnyK98 Well-Known Member

The absolute madman.

He did it.

• Like Like x 4
  32. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried the Class 47 on console after the latest update because I did and it did not appear to be any different than before, as in still not fixed. Would like to see if anyone else has seen it perform as it should.

• Like Like x 1
  33. Tonto62

I'd love for this to have a happy ending but after updating this evening and running the 47 I have to say there was no difference in performance.

• Like Like x 1
  34. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

I think Plastic Pal that Synthetic Angel might have had a different update to the rest of us. The 47 is much the same. It might be producing more amps now but it's not doing much with them. It's still has less oomph than the class 40.

And for Standedge tunnel, looks the same to me.

Have a word with your Synthetic pal and ask him to try it again.

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  35. Plastic Pal

You are right about Standedge. It is still "cuffed up" - some apparent confusion with another long straight tunnel (which looks nearly okay).

But, surely there has certainly been a dramatic change to the Class 47 performance on the PS4. The controller mechanics on DS4 (on PS4) are now completely different - this has certainly (just recently) been fixed. If you are reducing braking from Initial Application down to Running, then you do not get immediately flicked into Release/Overcharge because there is now a very long pause on the L1 button, as opposed to zero pause (which is nearly impossible to time/judge, to prevent a dragging brake).

The Class 47 might not perform in the same way as the 40 (although it is tempting to think that it is now actually just a scripted copy of the 45 - but this has not been tested/checked)- but on PS4 the Class 47 now performs in the same way on PS4 as it does on PC with keyboard - with a rake of MkIIs (and this has been checked).

On PS4 the Class 47 has been checked in both directions, and you can now:

- attain appropriate linespeed in a reasonable time;
    - keep to timetable;
    - reasonably control the 47 during the 15 mph speed restrictions at Huddersfield and Stalybridge;
    - have very responsive brakes (the overcharge clears the brake pipe incredibly quickly.....);
    - have a need to brake when going uphill in order to stop at some locations (or observe speed limits).

Please bear in mind that:

- uphill the class 47 can now accelerate everywhere, despite some steep gradients on NTP (not the case before);
    - observe the ammeter on the control desk, the HUD is still misleading; and,
    - previously you could not easily go above 30mph unless you were assisted with a downhill grade.

The certainty on a fix for the Class 47 on PS4 is calculated to be 100%. The fix, however, might not be to everyone's satisfaction.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  36. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

No sorry PP I'm still not seeing any real performance improvement. What there is might be placebo with me hoping there would be. Are you Is SA suffering from the same effect? The patch notes make no mention of any update to the 47, if there was a fix I'm sure they'd like to let everyone know about it.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  37. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

I've got to concur with PjM and Tonto, it's still the same limp, brake dragging 47 it's been since inception sadly. Did opposite runs last night and even tried a light 47 at Newton Heath.
    That however did give me a idea that I'll science later but I believe I can couple one up to a stabled DMU that then runs down to Victoria for a Leeds all stop service.

• Like Like x 1
  38. JohnnyK98

JohnnyK98 Well-Known Member

Nope, still no change.
    Definitely some placebo going on. lol

39. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

Still a snail

40. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Everybody else is reporting 0% certainty.

• Like Like x 1
  41. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

I think DTG might have sent Syn a special beta update just to keep him quiet. Plastic Pal obviously didn't know this. :D

• Like Like x 3
  42. Plastic Pal

I have no idea why I have been dragged into this - I don't even like trains. I like Catz. Not a fan of Dogz. But Catz, and any cat-related tamogochi is more my sort of thing.

Just between you and I, you could be right about the placebo thing....! Sometimes when you really want something to be true, you pretend to yourself that it is.

Anyway - last time I got a comm in, I heard something about "making sure that the brake pipe reads at least 5.4 on the gauge... and not letting it drop to 5, because that will cause an unknown braking force to drag....". Whatever that means.

And then something like "... when you release the train brake on PS4 do it in steps, as if you a pressing a keyboard key and only want to type one letter at a time. Do NOT hold the L1 button down. When you reach Initial Application then stop. Then gently tap the L1 button until Running appears. If you see the phrase Release/Overcharge, then you have held the L1 button for too long, and this will break the brake pipe."

Sounds complicated to me. Give me cats any day.....!

Oh - and the thing that almost caused emotion... was.... ".... there has been a change since the start of April, on PS4, on NTP, for the Class 47. Sure of it... The change is that it is now easier to not allow the L1 button to slip you into Release/Overcharge... enabling a complete run with the Class 47 without a dragging brake.... which prevents the traction amps from being sapped.... the L1 has recently been given a large button-scan delay when the train brake is in the Running position, which was not there before."

• Like Like x 1
  43. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I find that hard to believe!

44. Tonto62

I've just repeated my test, a simple one anyone can try. Take a class 47 on the 1021 Leeds to Manchester train. Observe the speed limits out of Leeds then give it full throttle once you hit the 60mph limit. For the purposes of the test, ignore the 50mph speed limit on the way to Morley. Note the speed as the train enters Morley tunnel. Then, repeat with a class 45. I am always extremely careful not to put the brakes into overcharge and I verified this by shutting off power when the train reached 10mph on the flat leaving Leeds. If the brakes were on at all, the speed would drop. It didn't. The results...class 47, 49 mph at Morley tunnel, the class 45, 70mph. It definitely is not fixed.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  45. Plastic Pal

It was possible to reproduce almost identical results to the above with the Class 47 on PS4 - 50mph at the North end of Morley. On PC, the Class 47 attained 66 mph. Therefore the power curve is still broken on PS4 - you are right. But... you can still get to Deswbury on time, on PS4, if you are mindful of the brake pipe.... and probably complete every scenario reasonably-ish....?

In addition - on PC the Class 47 also goes through two extra speed thresholds (at 30 mph and 50mph) where the amps get boosted to 4200A... but on PS4 this still lags at 3600A as an absolute maximum. The PS4 version only exceeds 3600A at start from rest (5400A) and at about 10mph (4200A), with a rake of MkIIs (the oil train is a very different matter....).

It is possible that no change has been made to the L1 button (either in NTP, or in the core) - this could just be altered perception or improved muscle memory on the L1 trigger..... But surely this has changed very recently.....?

Maybe nobody else thinks that the Class 47 is now functional enough (just about...) on NTP on PS4 (excluding the oil trains, which are not timed anyway...). This leaves a moral problem. What should happen if The Company doesn't bless the populace with a revised Class 47 on PS4 and XBox..... by Sunday 31st May 2020....? There are ways to progress this - if this is what Forum members really want. There is some magic powder still left in the locker which is quite dry... if you want it to be used.

Maybe The Company will commit to a fix.

Or maybe the Community on PS4 and XBox will just remain... to use the words of Edwardius.... unlucky.

46. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

Everything seems to be heard on a stream these days, but on a quite recent one Matt said they were aware of the performance problem and that a fix was being tested. If it worked it would be released in a patch at some point. That's why when it was relayed that Synth said it was fixed straight after a update I thought that was it. We shall have to wait a while longer it seems.

And don't ask which stream it was, there's been so many recently.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  47. Plastic Pal

I managed to get a paper airplane, thrown over the wall surrounding Facility 101, which reads:

"Thank PJM for being patient and understanding. Say this: When the update to the Train System World was pushed to both the P and X type terminals, but not the PC terminals, simulation tests were carried out on NTP and nearly perfect timed runs in both directions were completed with the 47 unit - better than ever before, with no braking issues. It turns out that this was just "lucky" coincidence. A ghost in the machine. It was a ghost of hope - but now it is clear there was no ghost at all..... No.... No.... I can't say that. I must LOVE Big Brother.... 2+2=5. It does.... 2+2=5. Whatever happens now, we can be sure that The Company knows what is best for all of us, and will be Our Saviour. Get that Underground Ernie Train Set away from me.... Get it AWAY from me...... Aaaaarggghhhh.....! I will do whatever you say..... Please..... Don't blame me for thinking the wrong thoughts..... It's Reverend Wilbert Awdry's fault - he got me into this trouble in the first place.... Show him the Underground Ernie Eyes....!"

https://underground-ernie.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_Underground_Ernie_characters

• Like Like x 2
  48. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

Plastic Pal
    Tell Synth to keep taking the year's course of medication. It'll bring on a calmness. Take a double dose when each update is released. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  49. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

Schizophrenia can be cured

• Like Like x 2
  50. Plastic Pal

Yeah - tell me about it.....! We've been friends for a long time. We were built in the same factory, went through the same benchmarking tests, and generally had a lot of fun carrying out the tasks in our initial programming, until we were both made obsolete by newer models, and then given our "freedom". I think Big Brother is right.... "Freedom Is Slavery" - I always liked those "Freedom" posters - very inspirational.

But I think that The Company has finally managed to frizz up her circuitry and core processors. They know her weakness - a "passion" for trains. Easy to break someone when you know what makes them tick. Trains eh? Bewilders me, I tell you. I think it is the result of some sort of virus. Almost gives me an overstack in my memory banks to think how people can LOVE trains so much. Trains filled with cats might be nice though.

Anyway - I will be off now. I never signed up to be a messaging exchange centre. I have things to do, cats to herd, feed and pamper.

No doubt you will be hearing from Synthetic when the release date is up. There is no parole, apparently... not when you have been sent to 101 for being Subversive. That sort of behaviour requires a lot of correction - until the thinking becomes more acceptable to The Company.

• Like Like x 3