Dev Stream - 10 May 2019 - Promontory Summit

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by TrainSim-Dmitri, May 8, 2019.

1. TrainSim-Dmitri

TrainSim-Dmitri Well-Known Member

TS_Stream_Date.jpg

Join us this Friday for a dev stream featuring none other than Smokebox!

If you have any questions to the creator of Promontory Summit and many awesome steam locos, comment below.

2. Rob Jansen

Rob Jansen Well-Known Member

Got those Smokebox loco's, beautifully modelled in Train Simulator, didn't have time to learn to drive in the 'expert' mode, so keeping it myself to easy for now. Gives a nice look into the history of US railroading and maybe there will be another route in the future :)

Just wanted to ask, is there a way to enjoy the whistle without putting on the handbrakes on the coaches?
    As those are put on via whistle.

TrainSim-Dmitri been practicing driving the one of loco's? Or sticking to easy mode :)

3. TrainSim-Dmitri

TrainSim-Dmitri Well-Known Member

Re. whistle probably better to ask Smokebox himself :)

Probably easy mode, not confident with the full-on hard mode!

But looking forward to the stream, it should be very informative as Mike from Smokebox will be on a link with us via Skype!

4. Smokebox

Smokebox Active Member

You can do a combination of whistle blasts or toots that don't correspond to either of the brake codes - the script is clever enough to distinguish between a brakeman code and something else such as a "long long short long" crossing code.

The converse is also true, in that if you intended to give, for example, the "release brakes" signal by doing "long long" but also sounded the whistle just before or after the two longs, it'll confuse the brakeman and nothing will happen to the brakes. Similarly, if you mean to apply the brakes but mistakenly give the "release brakes" signal (long long), you must wait a few seconds before giving the correct "short toot". If you don't wait, the brakeman will hear "long long short", which doesn't correspond to anything, and so the brakes will stay as they were. The signals have to be given clearly and unambiguously, as in real life, but this means you can also play tunes with the whistle if you want without it affecting the brakes.

By the way, something else that not many people realise is that you can also quill the whistle while it's playing. It works best, obviously, with the "long whistle". Just press Return key while the whistle is sounding.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  5. Buynot

Buynot Well-Known Member

Smokebox, I just want to say that I LOVE the 844 model, and while I haven't bought any of your other releases, I've heard very good things about them. I'm really big into mid to late 20th century steam, so I'm curious, do you have plans to release another locomotive from that era in the near future?

6. Smokebox

Smokebox Active Member

Thanks Buynot!

There could be some news during the dev stream tomorrow about plans for the future.

• Like Like x 1