Devon/cornwall Lines

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by junior hornet, Nov 15, 2020.

1. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Following the release of Glasgow Suburban Northwest, I would love to see the Railways of Devon and Cornwall released as a stand alone product. The freeware release looks really good but the huge list of DLC required puts me off, even though I already have some of it. If there was a stand alone release, I would definitely buy it as it is the only way to get many of the branch lines.

2. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

JustTrains have routes in those counties.

3. junior hornet

I already have Cornish Mainline and Riviera Line (fifties and present day) but there is a freeware route that covers so much more including most of the south west but requires oodles of DLC to run. Rivet games have done a great job with Glasgow so if they or Just Trains or someone could put together all the Cornwall or Devon/Cornwall lines in one stand alone package, I for one would definitely buy it.

4. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

Do you mean this one? https://www.vulcanproductions.co.uk/railwaysofdevonandcornwall.html If so, much of that is free. Some of the payware is market Place stuff for like £3 as well. The rest of the steam stuff... have you checked the current DTG Sale to see if they're on there? https://store.dovetailgames.com/uk/sale

There's also the Steam Sales themselves. The Autumn Sale will start next week... then you have the big Winter sale starting around December 17th. This is a great time of year to fill those holes in your DLC collection.

That just leaves the Just Trains stuff... not sure if, or when they have a sale.

5. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Just trains have already done what you are asking for
    And apart from Cornwall & Devon it continues to Bristol TM & Parkway, Swindon, Didcot, Reading to Paddington
    Plus Bristol to Newport and Cardiff. Didcot to Oxford and Bicester
    https://www.justtrains.net/product/western-mainlines-the-complete-collection

6. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

7. Pookeyhead

The JT solution is clearly the best, but SIXTY QUID!!

[edit] Having said that, if you have none, or little of the DLC for the AT one... kind works out the same, or even more.

8. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The route seems to replicate most of what is already available

9. claggybob

claggybob New Member

It does duplicate in terms of the main lines through Devon and Cornwall, but there are differences - most significant is probably the route going via the Berks & Hants through Newbury & Westbury towards Taunton, but there are additions in Devon & Cornwall which are nice too. There's the line up towards Okehampton & Barnstaple, down towards Axminster & Exmouth; the Kingswear line, and branches to Gunnislake, Looe, Falmouth/Docks, and St. Ives.

I've not yet installed the new merge, but have used the Berks & Hants and RDC separately, and they're both very good; something that merged the whole shooting match (with Western Mainlines via Swindon to Bristol & Cardiff) together would be incredible (but probably difficult to do and maybe a bit too demanding on system resources).

To the OP I would echo other comments above saying that it's worth keeping your eye out to try and pick up the dependencies when they're going cheap, RDC is more than enough fun to make them worth it.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  10. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  11. ARuscoe

I did this and saved a few hundred quid overall... JT and AP sales will be around xmas, DTG have sales pretty much every other month it seems on Steam with additional sales through their own store (which gives you steam keys anyway)

12. junior hornet

Well, I’ve taken the plunge and spent fifty quid or so on the DLC I haven’t already got (thanks to the sales, a lot less than I could have) and got some nice extra routes into the bargain. I have also installed all the freeware listed. The main route itself works splendidly although largely replicates the commercial routes.

However, what I am really interested in is the branch lines. Exeter to Exmouth and Plymouth to Gunnislake are great and the Tarka Line, installed separately is also great. However, I can’t get the Looe or St Ives branches working. They don’t appear as options in Quick Drive and the free roam says there are missing locos. Maybe this is down to my relative inexperience and being the first time I have installed freeware routes. I thought that free roam would be just that, i.e. I could roam freely using whatever stock I had. Obviously I’m wrong. I’m not really interested in scenarios as such, I would just like to be able to drive trains down these lines. There are videos of these lines on Youtube so I assume it is possible to drive on them.

If anyone could give me any pointers as to what I am doing wrong, I would gratefully receive any advice. Thank You.

13. ARuscoe

Free roam doesn't always mean you are utterly free to go everywhere in everything
    If you could post the errors you're getting (ie screenshot and then post those pics here) then we may be able to advise on what you're missing

Also, don't limit yourself with regards to scenarios. Unless they're timed ones you're essentially free to drive as you choose and unless you're interested in that green tick at the end, you don't even have to stop where they say if you don't want to

14. Pookeyhead

Free roam means you can jump into the cab of any trains present in the free roam scenario and drive them. You still need the assets for it to load though.

15. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

It is possible the Looe and St Ives branches don't have Quick Drive scenarios.
    Try another Free Roam and when it starts and you get the message about missing stock push the F2 key and then Save and it will run with what you have.

Peter

16. junior hornet

Thanks for your inputs. With a little trial and error, I’ve managed to edit the Looe free roam scenario (cloning it first) and am now managing to get a pacer running up the line from Looe. It looks very nice with the water shimmering and everything.

I’ve seen a video explaining how to change ends at Bere Alston on the Gunnislake branch so I’m hoping that will stand me in good stead when I get to Coombe Junction!

I must admit the scenario designer is not as easy to use as in TSW but seems to be much more flexible and comprehensive so it will be fun to have a play to see what else I can do.

• Like Like x 1
  17. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

But you can run anything almost anywhere - and you have a choice of trains that have come from other makers like AP and Just Trains.

18. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

To be fair that's a bit like saying this...
    imagertwterwercs.jpg
    Is not as easy as this...
    downloarftvhsdgvfad.jpg

The first may be harder to master but it'll provide hours more entertainment value than the latter..

(by the way to fully appreciate my analogy you'll need to tip the chessboard over randomly every few hours and start again from scratch :D)

• Like Like x 2