Different Retrieve Methods

Discussion in 'Xbox' started by jhanhart33, Nov 1, 2021.

1. jhanhart33

jhanhart33 New Member

Can someone please explain how to twitch and drop shot and jig retrieve? There's no explanation anywhere that I can find

2. DTG Benjamin

DTG Benjamin Staff Member

Hi, there isnt currently a tutorial on this, it's certainly trial and error and something I personally am still trying to work out! We'll aim to make a Youtube video on this in future.

3. jhanhart33

jhanhart33 New Member

I really enjoy the game but I feel like it was rushed. Can't play online, no explanation on different retrievable methods, lures not animated in water, etc.. ill keep playing though lol

4. Buschyfor3

Buschyfor3 Member

I’ll offer what I’ve found to work on Drop shotting at least (still don’t have a full grasp on how to consistently twitch or jig).

To drop shot, I’ve found this method works best:
    - Use short range casting (the underhand cast method)
    - Because the drop shot is dependent on the lure’s distance from you in game, your cast power will be dependent on how deep the water is. Deeper water, throw a further cast; shallower, then throw less. (Example, if I’m drop shotting in 15-20ft depth, then I usually target a short cast, maybe 35% power - more power is fine, just means you’ll have to reel in your line a bit more so that only the weight is touching the bottom or floating just above it).
    - “Drop shot” only seems to display on retrieve HUD when your lure is no more than 6 to 7 yards from you (any further out and I’ve never seen the drop shot retrieve method display).

- Step 1: Cast out as above. Slowly reel in your line just enough so that the weight is touching the bottom (or just floating slightly above the bottom).
    - Step 2: The trick is to gently tap down on the right thumbstick controlling your rod, but GENTLY… that’s the key. If you yank back on the stick, you’ll yank the lure right out of the water.
    - Step 2A: Alternatively, you can hold the finesse trigger (RT) and tap on the right thumbstick. This is the best approach I’ve found as it will usually keep you from yanking the lure out of the water when tapping down on the thumbstick. However you can get “drop shot” retrieval to work without using RT - just have to be more deliberate on moving the thumbstick.
    - Step 3: You want to time your tap on the thumbstick so that the lure comes straight upwards and then free fall floats back down. It is during the lure free falling back down to depth when you’ll see the green “drop shot” retrieve displayed on the HUD.
    - Step 4: Once the weight dips back below the height of the bait, then tap the thumbstick again.
    - Step 5: You can also move the thumbstick left or right to make the bait sway side to side while falling - this will help to garner bites BUT doing this alone does not seem to make the HUD display the green “drop shot” retrieval. Again, it is the up/down free fall that makes the drop shot retrieval display.

I’ve made it work a few times today - within the past hour I’ve caught two decent sized Largemouth @ St John’s off of a 15ft deep point using a Missile 48 rigged for drop shotting w/ a 1/4oz weight. Just takes a little practice to get the timing on the taps correct. Using the finesse RT at first really helps and then once you get it down you may not even need to use RT.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Kingfish22

Kingfish22 Member

Great explanation! Thanks dude.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jhanhart33

jhanhart33 New Member

Ty so much for this info. I'm currently fishing st John's. Fish finder shows tons of fish but I can't find them. When I do find them I have problem getting bite. Used cranks, rat traps, worms ,top water etc lol

• Like Like x 1
  7. Kingfish22

Kingfish22 Member

One more thing, does reel speed matter? 1 or 2 speed?

8. DTG Benjamin

Great advice!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Buschyfor3

Buschyfor3 Member

I always use reel speed set to "1" for drop shots. Actually, regardless of the lure or what type of retrieval I'm using, I keep my reel speed at 1 at this point.

The reason being is what I think is a separate game balancing issue - FWIW I think the reel speeds are currently unbalanced at this point (at least on Xbox One). Any speed from 2 and up seems to rip all lure types too quickly across the water. The result is that using reel speed 2 or faster makes getting a "green" retrieval extremely challenging (if not impossible) for certain retrieval types.

On Xbox One, if you set the reel speed to 2 and hold in LT to retrieve, the lure moves so quickly that you'll often end up with your weight too far off the bottom to perform the drop shop technique before you realize it. Thus if you want to use reel speed 2, you almost have to feather/tap LT just to avoid retrieving the lure too far past your mark and having to cast out again. On reel speed 1 it is not a problem to hold in LT to retrieve the lure until it sits at the right depth for a drop shot. So, I only use reel speed 1 at this point.

Honestly, using speed 2 or up on the Xbox gets any lure to the boat so quickly you barely can get a green "constant" retrieval even on a full power long range (overhead) cast. In my experience, if you throw a full cast, set reel speed to 2, and then hold LT for a constant retrieve, the retrieve meter will still be in the yellow "constant" range by the time the lure reaches the boat.

On speed 3 or higher, forget about it - I've seen a 30 yard cast reach the boat in 3 seconds or less holding in LT... just too fast IMO.

DTG Benjamin: Not sure if the reel speed has been brought up to the dev team or not at this point - I know you guys have a lot going on right now!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
  10. Buschyfor3

Buschyfor3 Member

Time of day really seems to play a big part (more so in this game than I remember from previous DTG fishing games). I've had my best luck at St. Johns in the early morning or just after the sun goes down and the sky turns from pink/orange to that hazy purple color... that's actually when I had my success targeting largemouth with the drop shot.

11. Kingfish22

Kingfish22 Member

Great advice again. Yes I agree about the real speed. Even if I do 3 speed, it has to just be a short burst at minimum. It is very unbalanced, and fast as hell compared to FSW. DTG Benjamin hey maybe you can pass that onto the development team? I don't mind if it's different than the last game, but it's just very slow, or extremely fast!

• Like Like x 1
  12. DTG Benjamin

We are aware that reel speeds are too fast and it's being looked into! We'll be able to update you on when that change is likely to be implemented when I know.

• Like Like x 1