PlayStation Difficulty Driving Locos. Braking.

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Steveofgreenbank, May 22, 2019.

1. Steveofgreenbank

Steveofgreenbank Member

Hi guys and gals. This is directed to "The Creators". Not sure where else to put it. Ive just tried to drive the class 09 again. Wow. What a stuff up. I can drive class 47 etc but cannot drive 101 or 09. The brakes are so hard for me and I so very much wish to enjoy the experience, not get ______ off with it. I do like the 09. So, I suppose there are some younger people that can replicate a L2 button press for exactly 1,843 ms to get the drivers brakes from "First Application" to under 10% first go. It takes me about 5 - 10 tries to get it and then I need a lot more pressure cause I now gone too far, then the loco comes to a halt, then need to hold L1 for an extended time to get going again.
    I'm 62 and yes my fingers are not as fast as they used to be but I think this is more than just me.
    I appreciate that you wish to make a fantastic real driving experience but I will never get good at this driving for one simple fact, I am not in a loco 8 hrs a day, 5 days a week, 48 weeks a year to get good at it. In Australia, it can take 12 months of training and route knowledge just to go solo in a train. We can never get that experience.
    Could you please not make it so real and even if you supply a "simple driver mode" to work for the locos so us not so dexterous persons can enjoy please, please.

2. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

Is there any reason why can't you just use the initial application to get that small amount of braking power?

3. underwaterdick

underwaterdick Active Member

Without meaning to sound rude, or patronising, it is a simulator game, and meant to replicate driving a train as reasonably as practicable.
    For every unrealistic feature they add, people will moan that they didn't want an arcade game.
    And which features would you have simplified? Because I am sure everyone has a different opinion over what is acceptable and what is not. Some would do away with SPAD failures, some with speed limits, some with meeting strict timetables and even some with setting up the train and opening the doors.

I agree that for some, a simple mode might be more enjoyable for a casual player.

With regards to breaking, I suggest using the lever in the cab for better control. Sadly it is only experience and trial/error that dictates how and when to brake.
    Even in real life I bet the braking feels different between different serial numbers of trains as parts wear or as the lever is stiffer for example.

Let us know if you find a solution.

4. Steveofgreenbank

Steveofgreenbank Member

Hi. Thank you. Not rude or patronizing. I agree. Close to reality is great. I agree, if I had a replica drivers console in front of me but I (we) are using a (L2) variable "switch" to control a on, off condition. Its not a lever. In the trains(z) simulator, you had a choice between simple or complex so each to their own. Perhaps just changing the release rate for the brakes is enough, faster, don't have to hold L2 to increase speed of release. The class 66 does have a very good braking system, ie the way the buttons interface with the software to replicate realism. Realism has already been compromised, no AWS. Not wishing to upset but attempting to get more enjoy.

5. Steveofgreenbank

Steveofgreenbank Member

Sorry. Initial in 9 class is very light and will not overcome all down grade situations eg braking into station. Greater than about 15% and the brake appear to change, vacuum vs pressure. Once pressure is used, takes a long time to release.