1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ditch Light Operations

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pschlik, Oct 23, 2017.

1. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

So I've been watching some videos of railfanning in the eastern US and I've found that the way ditch lights are set up in TSW is not quite adequate.

Fundamentally, the issue comes down to the directionality of ditch lights. In real life, you can have the ditch lights turned on on the long hood end but be going forward-and that's true for an old EMD or a new GE. In TSW, the only way to have the ditch lights on for the long hood end is to be going in reverse, in TSW the direction you are going controls the ditch lights, and in real life it does not.

Problem is, I have no idea how you do control which side of the locomotive the ditch lights are on for. Anyone out there have a clue?

Because with TSW you can't really say the setup is wrong without knowing how the real thing is controlled....
    Are there multiple ditch light switches? Does the MU headlight configurator control which side the ditch lights are allowed to be on? (I see this one as a likely possibility!-set the switch to intermediate unit, ditch lights work as usual, reverser dependent, set it to controlling with long hood coupled/short hood lead, the ditch lights will stick to the short hood no matter what [no point in turning on for the long hood if there is a unit coupled at that end!] and so on)
    Or are the ditch lights on EMDs actually controlled from the headlight dial al la AC44? (I highly doubt that one as you can have the headlights off but ditchlights on as I have seen in these same videos, and on the TSW AC44, even with headlights set in reverse the ditch lights on the front will still flash-and I have also seen footage to counter that.) Heck, is it possible to have the ditchlights on for both ends of the locomotive at the same time?