Do Not Buy London Commuter

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by dan5324, Oct 7, 2021.

1. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

Well they finally admitted it for all to hear. About 40 minutes into todays stream Matt talks about how the older gen consoles are struggling with everything and they are realizing that they will have to tone down what they get as in layers, timetables, passengers and overall texture issues. Mmmm what I have been saying since Rush Hour was announced in March based on my 26 years as a game developer myself.

So get ready older consoles in order for you to continue getting support there will likely be sacrifices. They are going to do what they can to give you the best possible which is way more than other developers will do. But expect passenger levels to drop back down, getting 3/4 timetables instead of full ones. I can't see graphics getting any lower since they are already at PC low settings.

But as Matt said you cannot expect the older gen to be able to perform with all the same features as the next gen.

So it's official the old gen are now considerd potatoes.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

8th gen consoles were potatoes when they launched. MS and Sony were so eager to get something to market at an affordable price and not let the other beat them to it, they launched a pair of boxes in 2013 running on 2011 hardware rather than waiting any longer for new developments that were in the pipeline. Both manufacturers realised fairly quickly that their hardware could not keep up with the new developments in game engines and the like, and began working on mid generation revisions barely after the original boxes launched to bring them up to handle an acceptable emulation of a low-end PC gaming experience, but hamstrung by the outdated Jaguar cores, there was only so much they could accomplish by cramming more memory and faster CPU clocks in as it delivers diminishing returns.

• Like Like x 3
  3. kt291076

kt291076 Active Member

Think he might need to check that info. I've done 24 journeys and only 1 crash on my xbox one X. The crash one let me complete it next time I tried it. Just getting lag around Vic and Battersea and East Croydon. It's not perfect but it's completely playable.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Southern Driver

Southern Driver Active Member

Okay, so I’ve only had a little bit of time to play the game and have done a Milton Keynes (Clapham Jnc) to East Croydon and Reigate to Victoria run. Now I sign both routes as part of the day job so can actually see how accurate this is. Let me tell you it is accurate.
    A couple of technical issues.

1. Various silent AWS magnets for some reason.
    2. The signal on the up slow before Selhurst (T74) has the route indicator pointing the wrong way. The route indicator should illuminate for the crossover to the fast line.
    3. Thornton Heath on the down slow, the platform starting signal appears to be behind a wall and can’t be seen from the running line.
    4. The signalling sequence leaving platform 6 at East Croydon is wrong. To crossover at the south end of South Croydon you would have 2 yellows on the end of East Croydon (T123 signal)
    5. On the up slow approaching East Croydon the line speed drops to 45mph but the next speed marker shows 60mph and then suddenly you’re speeding!
    6. Approaching Purley on the Down Slow with a Caterham/Tattenham working, the signal that protects Purley (T155) is approach released when going into platforms 5 & 6. Therefore leaving Purley Oaks you should have 1 Yellow.

But as a driver instructor that covers this area I can tell you this is a very very accurate representation.

• Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  5. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

XBox One seems to be vastly more reliable than Series S when it comes to the new route, and that's part of why I'm inclined to suspect it's down to something specific with the layers, but can't be sure what exactly. Uninstalling certain other DLCs seems to alleviate the constant crashes plaguing Series S, but I regularly see several locos from SEHS etc on services where it doesn't crash.

Sadly I am not home, or my next step would be to load up the services that consistently crash on my XBox One, Series S and Series X side by side and see what consists come into view on the Series X version shortly after the Series S crashes, then check if they aren't visible on XBox One.

• Like Like x 1