Dovetail, Trust, And Myself - An Essay

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Doomotron, Jun 5, 2022.

1. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

No, that wasn't a response... we haven't had one of those yet.
    (I don't count forum moderation as a response to the issues being raised)

• Like Like x 8
  2. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Quite right forum moderation is not a response, indeed there's been no response other than warning people of their conduct within the thread.

Telling really

• Like Like x 7
  3. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Surely if you’ve been going through a thread to moderate posts, then you must’ve read all the responses and concerns people have raised?

Why the radio silence?

• Like Like x 13
  4. ARuscoe

Unfortunately not...
    The Company in this case has been taught many lessons by the community that giving them any information means it will be treated as a bone to chew on ad nauseum with people coming up with their own conclusions.
    DTG haven't helped themselves in some ways by saying what they would LIKE to do (which the community then turns into an official statement) but then not giving the full stated (intimated) experience down the line

This is why three years ago we got very little information about anything, then Sam (protagonist) came onto the community team and kicked bottom for a while, then Nat and JD came on board and Sam stood back a bit and we seem to be back where we were.
    So the "telling" part is that no matter what DTG do they'll be pulled apart by a community that holds them to every word DTG say and apply standards that almost nobody else is held to.
    These things work both ways...

• Like Like x 2
  5. redrev1917

A simple, we've read and thank you for your feedback, which we are reviewing and discussing internally would actually be acknowledging the thread and let us know whilst they don't want to commit publically, they actually do care and want to improve things.

• Like Like x 8
  6. ARuscoe

Doesn't work here.

"Yes we acknowledge this issue" is responded to "Well, if you know about it why haven't you fixed this simple issue, and why are you developing other things whilst this is outstanding" blah blah blah

In other words, soundbite responses are generally as oversimplified and unhelpful as "we know..."

• Like Like x 2
  7. redrev1917

Perhaps to the most demanding, but to the majority they wouldn't leap to this. Are you saying DTG should only cater their responses for the 5% for who nothing is going to be acceptable and just ignore the other 95%?

• Like Like x 3
  8. ARuscoe

Don't know where I said they SHOULD be doing anything, any more than I have said what the community SHOULD be doing...

• Like Like x 1
  9. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

Just because there is no response doesn't mean they are ignoring the tread.

• Like Like x 4
  10. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

True but we don't really know how they will improve. You raise an issue only to get a response of "use inclusive language" isn't exactly reassuring.

• Like Like x 2
  11. ARuscoe

That wasn't a response...

12. tallboy7648

Reminder/response can be the same. But hey people interpret things differently.

But hey I guess DTG can't say much to be honest since if they did and didn't do what they intended to do, even more questions would be raised.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  13. ARuscoe

In this case they were making that moderation against a point that was NOT making any comment on the state of the game or DLC. Personally I would have removed the comment as antagonistic. By saying "Hey, DTG made a response" would actually diminish their need to do so on the actual matters at hand, so again I would say "They have yet to respond"

14. tallboy7648

Key word "can". Didn't say it is depending on how it's interpreted. Mate it's not a big deal.

• Like Like x 1
  15. redrev1917

No but it's the closest thing on this thread. If it hadn't been for the moderation an occasional visitor to the forums (not knowing how DTG "do things") could be excused for thinking that DTG didn't know the post existed.
    You forget that not every forum member is active and as deeply engaged in the community as you or I might be.

• Like Like x 3
  16. ARuscoe

And they'd be wrong...
    Not sure why pointing out that moderation doesn't constitute a response is incorrect...
    (nor that no response doesn't mean not reading)

Either way, hopefully DTG will acknowledge the content fo this post before the next Q&A session at the end of the roadmap because that's what they did with several long posts from last month (which I thought was a bit of a cop out personally)

17. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

To be fair, they do say that in so many words on a regular basis

18. redrev1917

Ah so just because they are wrong means they'll continue investing in a game which they mistakenly believe the developer doesn't care about the quality of the game?

That's a very bizarre way to do business

• Like Like x 4
  19. redrev1917

Yes and if you are active in the community you'll know that. But the vast majority of players are certainly not active in the forums (and if I'm wrong and the majority of players are the couple of dozen of us who actively participate in the forums then the game is in trouble). And if they just dip in or out and come across threads like this (or any thread in the technical support forum) then they'd think DTG didn't actually have any interest in the community or their views/issues.

If you have come across a bug and Google it, one of the top results will be th DTag forums which you don't even need to be a member of to view and you'd see potentially a 3 - 6 month old thread with zero input from DTG. Would that make you want to continue to support or play the game?

Sometimes external perception is more important than facts and IMO this is one of those times.

• Like Like x 4
  20. tallboy7648

Not to mention if a new user were to reply to a 3-6 month old thread, DTG would probably not respond but the thread would be locked for thread bumping.

• Like Like x 3
  21. redrev1917

Sad because it's true, either that or you'd get a couple more active users castigating them and tagging in JD.

On occasion we aren't a friendly group to newcomers (and I'm probably as guilty as the next man/woman/them).

• Like Like x 4
  22. ARuscoe

Well hopefully they'd do their research by reading the steam reviews (or those on their relevant provider), seek out forums and discords. And listen when people say to them "this is unfortunately nothing new from this company, so you might want to be aware that often you're shouting into a void, and you're much more likely to get friendly feedback from a community member (little help as that may be) rather than direct feedback from the DTG "team" which right now is one person who seems to wear multiple hats (JD)"

23. ARuscoe

JD responded on a necropost today saying that in his belief, such newbie postings were valid and should not be treated as necroposting...

***EDIT*** link - https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/royle-train.40486/#post-497330

• Like Like x 1
  24. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Contrary to what may sometimes be indicated DTG staff do not read every forum post. They couldn’t possibly keep up with it without a couple of people doing that full time and nothing else. TSW doesn’t currently have a Community Manager and even when Nat is replaced all the posts won’t be read. Most moderation is the result of other members reporting posts or random chance that a DTG staff member has personally read it. Some threads gain prominence and they will be watched more closely but even then I wouldn’t think that every post is read. I can tell that by the amount of swearing that gets through before some busybody like myself reports it.

• Like Like x 1
  25. redrev1917

You really don't get how the majority of consumers think do you. Vast majority of casual gamers/new comers will simply find an issue such as crashes try to find a solution. Run into an empty void and go play something else.

• Like Like x 4
  26. tallboy7648

Ah a change in policy. About time cause there have unfortunately been some threads locked for providing information on the original topic because it was bumped so it's good that the stance has changed.

• Like Like x 2
  27. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

Rest-assured, we are reading this thread, and as I acknowledged earlier in it, there are lots of topics covered here with multiple viewpoints - which is great. I'm reading it and feeding back, but as has been highlighted many times, the proof is in the pudding.

Anachronisms are something I'll make a note of for the next Roadmap stream to discuss - I know the team have used a lot of source material throughout the SoS project though.

Side note: Interesting you mention this, because I was tagged in here earlier. Have noted my view on necrobumping there.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  28. DTG JD

I'll be honest, I didn't know that was the policy; have asked the team to reflect this in future. Would rather conversation about a specific suggestion continued on that thread, rather than a new thread entirely.
    The point about new players is important too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  29. redrev1917

That's really positive and pleasing to see.

I don't know if that's always been the policy but it certainly hasn't felt like that in the past.

• Like Like x 2
  30. DTG JD

Quick point on moderation as well - we cover what we can, when we see it. I think we had about 170,000+ posts over the forums in the past 12 months, so a lot to cover - particularly when you throw other community spaces (social feeds, Reddit, Discord, YouTube) into the mix too. If you see things that aren't appropriate, please report them and we'll take a look as quickly as we can.

Some good news though: our new Community Manager started this week, so they'll start to get involved in the near future.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  31. ARuscoe

Yep, and that's on them. I won't be telling others what to do with their money.

It's in the forum rules...

Have you supplied them with their tin hat yet? :)

32. redrev1917

No one is asking you to, but it's in DTG and the games future interest to keep players playing. The more customers the higher the sales and more routes. So it is in all our interests to ensure if someone has dipped their toe into the game and engage with the community that they keep coming back surely?

• Like Like x 3
  33. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

To be honest I think DTG should also take note of the players that have stopped playing the game and/or stopped buying DLC. I have invested too much money in TSW2 , and tbh wished I never heard of the game, and stopped playing months ago but when they finally release the GWE updates that might get me back playing if it is good enough.

• Like Like x 5
  34. dhekelian

Can you give an example?

• Like Like x 1
  35. redrev1917

I agree, any successful business listens to its customer base and keeps them engaged and coming back for me. Even the likes of McDonalds have to keep a constant flow of specials to ensure that people keep spending their money there. But Ray Croc is quoted as saying that a business which isnt growing is shrinking (or words to that effect), which is true to this day. DTG have to keep the likes of me coming back whilst tempting you to return AND Joe Bloggs to become a regular player. If they dont manage all 3 segments of their market then the game will slowly die.

• Like Like x 5
  36. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

DTG JD Maybe we could get a List of known bugs and the status of them?
    Maybe Pinned in the technical support part of the forum??

Because as you may notice, the same things get stated over and over again (we had like 5 different "PIS on RT broken" topics.
    Also, in such a list we could see the status like "logged", "investigating", "working on a fix" and "fixed".
    There are many other games who have such open lists with know bugs.

For me, this would be a real step Forward. Instead i see people being told to "please conact support and send a ticked" when i have the feeling this was already reported many times or is known since ages and DTG should have already logged it.

Do you have such lists internally? Could you make it public here on the forum?

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  37. redrev1917

What would be even better if they listed the bugs and stated those which they needed more examples of via a support ticket, and which didnt require any further information. Im sure it would cut down the number of tickets to deal with and help reduce the back log and save resources having to reply and log.

• Like Like x 5
  38. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

This is how it should work to be honest. Yes.

I refuse to create a "ticket" for a bug known since 6 months they have probably already 100 tickets about. But when i encounter a rare bug and then see this is something they want to track down. Then i sure would put in the work and send a ticket with all information i have.

• Like Like x 5
  39. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

ld recommend this, you should be able to swerve any non inclusive sexism cards then.simply copy your post into this and it’ll tell you if you’re going to trigger people

https://gender-decoder.katmatfield.com/

• Like Like x 1
  40. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

and what happens to the report that we can send when the game crashes, personally I either do SEND AND CLOSE or SEND AND RESTART

• Like Like x 1
  41. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  42. redrev1917

Apparently DTG don't get the crash report from Epic, which kinda makes the whole sending pointless and the cynic in me things this is just data mining from Epic

• Like Like x 2
  43. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

I tell you one thing.
    We can either focus on the bugs and TSW2 or on politics and gender stuff. The latter will probably derail the topic and get it closed sooner or later.

In my opinion the focus of this topic should be QA issues of DTG, bugs and a way forward for TSW2

• Like Like x 2
  44. Thunderer

Thunderer Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  45. redrev1917

• Like Like x 1
  46. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

but I use valve not Epic

47. redrev1917

Still goes to epic is my understanding because it's UE crash

48. alexjjones6024

alexjjones6024 Well-Known Member

Can you ensure your community manager speaks to Rivet about their shambles DLC and Loco add on, so that gets fed back to the relevant team and fixed. It should not take a preservation crew in 2 years time to make 'tweaks' to it. I refuse to wait that long and SOME ONE needs to tell them as they are likely able to get away with murder at this rate..

• Like Like x 4
  49. dhekelian

I agree with others, there should be a list of all known bugs and they could be typed up in different colours stating if they are being worked on, looked into, need information on or, wait for it, SOLVED :o

If DTG really do see themselves as an open company with it's fanbase then I do not see why this should be a problem. It also would help newcomers see if their bugs have been reported and also help the community. It would also help the community as we get very little feedback on problems as now we get just about 10 minutes a month to ask questions on the live stream.

• Like Like x 4
  50. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Nobody here has the time to read through a document with all the bugs in it. Legend has it, nobody at DTG has got to the end of it.

• Like Like x 5