Downloading Dlc From Steam - Changes?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by English_Electric, Sep 2, 2018.

1. English_Electric

English_Electric New Member

Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone can shed any light on this, which isn't the end of the world but has become a bit of an annoyance.

For some time now, in an effort to keep my RW install as clean as possible and somewhat modular, I found that it's possible to download individual items of DLC from Steam whilst keeping it ticked in the client. This method involves starting with no DLC selected, then selecting e.g. the User Overlay for the 'base' game, cutting the RW folder out and pasting it in a holding folder, then selecting an asset pack / route / stock addon and doing the same, etc etc. Time consuming to start with, but once completed any new DLC could be treated in the same manner. Then you can just move whichever DLC you want at any one time into the main folder along with its requirements and you're good to go. It would also allow you to run a UK / DE / US / AT / whatever install without having absolutely everything else "installed" at the same time, saving on space.

However, I've noticed that trying to do that now hits a problem: Either TS or the Steam client now seems to check for everything which is installed in the client and will download EVERYTHING selected if it can't find it. Has anyone else been operating the same or a similar process to me and discovered this? I appreciate most people probably just keep everything in their main folder and doesn't tinker about with it but if anyone could offer any input on this problem I would be most grateful.

Cheers,

E.E.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

AFAIK The way the system works is to check what you have ticked and if it does not find a corresponding folder with an *.ap file it assumes you have somehow lost it and downloads a fresh copy. The way to stop that happening is to make sure the asset is unticked. And if you have a loco/train/route but have deleted or modified the *.ap file it will replace it with a fresh copy.

Peter

3. English_Electric

English_Electric New Member

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply. I was aware that if you extracted an .ap file then it would download a fresh copy of it. However, what seems to have changed is that this used to only occur in the event of initiation a file verification, whereas now it seems to happen automatically as if it is being constantly checked, if that makes sense.

E.E.

4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

If you Extract an .ap file then it's not changed it's size or format then a fresh copy won't, or shouldn't, be downloaded.
    If having Extracted the .ap file you change or delete it then a fresh copy is generated.

I removed a number of US Routes from my set up as I was running out of space for my UK & European assets.
    First I Unticked the relevant DLC tick boxes then I deleted the Assets and routes. Closed the Steam Client then reopened it and my US content has gone. But it's just as easy to re download the files as a Freeware route used assets from Sherman Hill. A tick of the box and it was reacquired. Because I'm not running the route the .ap file remains untouched.

Peter