Dtg Challenge Stream For Ts?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by trainbraint, May 2, 2021.

?
  1. Yeah!

8 vote(s)
    88.9%
  2. Maybe Not...

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Convince Me.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. trainbraint

trainbraint Well-Known Member

I am sure we have all been enjoying the DTG challenge streams recently, whereby some of the regular streamers take part in a TSW2 challenge and see who can rack up the most points. I thought it might be interesting to see a TS version. I asked on the challenge suggestions thread if the next challenge could be taken in a TS direction, but then I thought - why take over the TSW challenge? Why not make one of our own? I think there is a lot of interesting potential for a somewhat different race.

Advantages of a TS challenge:
    - Steam. Steam is currently only in TS, and although coming to TSW in the not-too-distant future, there will probably still be a much greater variety of steam locos and routes in TS. I think a steam race would prove very interesting and people will probably like it. There are multiple different ideas for steam races, such as shunting or an uphill challenge, or maybe a combination.
    - Train Sim has a lot more variety than TSW which could bring more opportunity for a more interesting race. TS has things such as free roam scenarios, which allow you to do pretty much what you want, whereas in TSW it is more of an end-to-end affair. There are also, in my opinion a lot more interesting routes in TS. For example, the other idea I posted on the challenge suggestions stream was a run on the Sacramento Northern. It’s a very interesting route because it combines a lot of rural areas with some street tram-like running. What would prove an additional challenge is the lack of actual speed limits, so if one was in career mode one would have to look out for drive quality points. I was thinking a career scenario starting with 1000 points, and then you have to reach the other end as fast as you can, but any points deducted means a time penalty. The incredible gradients (up to about 4.0%, or 1 in 25 I think in places) should add an extra level of challenge.

So, if the chaps at DTG see this please take it into consideration. Also, if anyone likes the idea, or has their own idea for a TS challenge, feel free to post it here.

• Like Like x 1
  2. deedee3382

deedee3382 Member

I don't own TSW so don't usually watch the streams that feature it, but I did enjoy watching the challenge ones. It would be interesting to see them use TS one day if it were possible though. It does look like there are a lot more points awarded in TSW which may work better when trying to allocate the finishing places when compared to a maximum 1000 points in TS. It is also a tricky balance finding a good scenario that's challenging but not too hard, as if it's too challenging the winner may become obvious fairly early on which wouldn't make for great viewing.

Anyway if they did do it then I'm sure they would work all of these things out first find the right scenario to use, but it would still be fun to see them all try. Your idea of doing something with steam did inspire me to try my hand at making a points based challenge type scenario though just for fun. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2480385998

3. trainbraint

Brilliant! Must give that a try when I get the chance.

Edit: It looks really good, I think if DTG were to take the idea this would be a great scenario to use. I will probably make one myself, I was thinking a freightliner 86 on the NLL, chasing yellows. The additional challenge of the tap changer makes it take longer to throttle off. I think scenarios that start with 1000 points might work a bit better, I think it would make it fairer if people could only lose points. And who knows, maybe this idea of challenge scenarios might catch on!

Last edited: May 9, 2021
  4. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Excellent idea and they need to do this on TS 21 version of Riesa-Dresden then the Train Sim World 2 version of Riesa Dresden.

5. trainbraint

I think if you want to suggest that for TSW, Sam released a thread a little while back in the TSW2 forums suggestions section and you could post it there. A Riesa Dresden race could be good, we’d need to have a proper challenge, perhaps an S-Bahn service chasing yellows with PZB