Dtg Needs To Better Test And Not Rush Release Content

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Willowrpe, Oct 12, 2021.

1. Willowrpe

Willowrpe Well-Known Member

As it says on the tin, I do understand the issues here I used to work in a QA department years ago so I know from experience, yes I do expect they knew about all the issues (or a lot of them) before the rush hour routes (and almost any other) were released but I suspect the higher up's in the company want the content out ASAP. I even suspect they had to fight just to even spread out the rush hour content.

And because they are always working on new content they simply don't have the time to properly fix the bugs which will unfortunately mean the bugs list will simply spin out of control

You can tell just by playing it the content is simply not optimised properly you will always have bugs in software but with DTG and TSW2 within 2 minutes of playing London to Brighton you notice bugs so it does make you wonder did they do any testing at all?

DTG need to slow down the release schedule and actually work to fix the bugs, I do appreciate that going to a new version of Unreal engine and support for the new consoles is a lot of work, but it seems to me they took on far too much at once

I watched a Youtube video by SimUK and quite frankly it felt like he hit the nail on the head with the issues DTG have. TSW2 could be amazing if they simply stopped rushing out content and fixed bugs quickly, if the content was tested and fixed before release it would be even better. I know Matt P says TSW2 uses object orientation design (I think I said that right) but maybe it does for certain things but the fact you can have several versions of the same train says maybe it not all is.

I just fear the bugs will simply overwhelm DTG based on how it was designed and I expect a TSW3 will need to be released because the problems are deep routed and I fear it needs a rebuild to fix them

I want TSW to be the best it can be it was murder getting all the trophies in TSW2020 as so many glitched and had to use all sorts of work arounds to get them. DTG simply needs more time to finish the routes and much better testing to identify and FIX issues before release

• Like Like x 4
  2. trainsimgaming1001

trainsimgaming1001 Well-Known Member

Thats why I think Dovetail need to hire beta testers that are not Matt. Microsoft for example, has a Insider Program where people can test Pre-Release Versions of Windows and Report Issues (if any) to Microsoft. Before 2014, Microsoft hired Beta Testers. They would send out Pre-Release Copies of Windows to Beta Testers and the Beta Testers would report any found issues. Dovetail, on the Other hand, probably has no Beta Testers beyond Matt and Sam. If Dovetail hired beta testers or did something similar to the Windows Insider Program, people would be able to test pre-release versions. Granted, knowing Dovetail, issues will probably never be fixed, but still. It would help. And as for the TSW3, NO. No one wants a Repeat of Preserved Collection - and with an even more preserved collection with a TSW3, it would be living you the word that begins with H, has an E in it, and 2 L in it. Back to Beta Testing, If Dovetail do not want to release pre-release content to the public in fear of the product being leaked or something, Beta Testers, where you would work as a Tester for Dovetail, would work well

3. Pinguinie

Pinguinie Active Member

According to the last survey, it is planned that people should receive a beta code for the beta test. You could enter your data there. So I have not been asked to this day, and I also don't believe that others have been asked, although they have agreed to do so.
    I don't think there will be anything about it this year either.

And it would be no problem to set up a code for 2-3 weeks of testing via Steam, after which it is no longer valid.
    Many larger developers are doing this now.

4. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

I’m not being an apologist here, but I believe we expect too much.
    Both Apple & Microsoft constantly publish upgrades and bug fixes to their software.
    With all their money they can’t get things right first time, or second.

There is no way beta testers can catch all bugs, especially given the complexity of the software and the disparate platforms it runs on.
    With their years of experience with Ts and Tsw, they will have implemented the best system they can currently afford.

Hoping for perfection is a mugs game.
    Yes it’s annoying, but we all still play the game.

What we should press for is prompt updating of known bugs, but even that is stymied by the release restrictions of the various platforms.

5. smugstarlord#4202

smugstarlord#4202 Well-Known Member

I mentioned this on another post. I used to do QA and complience testing for Microsoft. I did early versions of COD, Need for speeds, fifa, halo 3 and so on. I know for a fact DTG don't have the necessary QA testers to be as affective as what they need. I can also bet that alot of these issues do turn up in testing, but nothing will get done until the consumers mention it. Saves money that way

6. Willowrpe

thats true I just think DTG need to start taking QA seriously hire more people to test and then FIX, bring in the community if necessary to help. End of the day if they can fix some of the issues and help prevent new routes suffering it will be good. I am concerned when steam is introduced that will introduce all sorts of bugs, no software is perfect thats true and they all have bugs but this title seems to have far too many and ones that should have been sorted ages ago

• Like Like x 2
  7. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I agree no software is without problems, but this is every single release with DTG. Some issues so glaringly obvious, you’d literally have to be blind and or deaf not to notice them. It’s completely unacceptable, yet we do allow them to get away with it time after time.

• Like Like x 1
  8. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

I don't think it's a case of 'better' testing, however I think it's a case of having a longer testing/fixing window.

BML was in Upcoming in the roadmap, what? 2 Weeks? That's a very short testing period. I'm surprised things like the Reigate station building managed to get fixed between Article #1 and release.

I don't doubt that QA brings this all up, however time seems to be the biggest barrier to changes.

9. Willowrpe

I think thats true they need more time, I also suspect they may be working to a deadline so they have to release by a certain date and its only because some are not ready (the rush hour routes) they get a delay and even then it wasn't enough makes you wonder what state they would have released them in if they released as scheduled!

• Like Like x 1
  10. smugstarlord#4202

smugstarlord#4202 Well-Known Member

If its a case of a certain deadline, all that proves is its all about the money rather than the product. Which is poor business

• Like Like x 1