Train Sim World 3 Dublin To Dundalk

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by twinboo, Mar 21, 2023.

1. twinboo

twinboo Active Member

For a game called “Train Sim World”, there is an awful lack of routes outside Germany, the UK, or US; sure, there is routes in France, Switzerland, and Canada, but they’re all routes from TSW2. I think the first international route for TSW3 should be set in the green isle of Ireland, between Dublin Connolly and Dundalk Clarke.

This route is part of the Dublin to Belfast main line, and the section in question was built primarily by 2 companies: the Dublin & Drogheda Railway, and the Dublin & Belfast Junction Railway, the aforementioned having built their route from Dublin Amiens Street (renamed Dublin Connolly in 1966 in memory of revolutionary leader James Connolly) and Drogheda, this opened in 1844. The part beyond Drogheda was built to connect the route to Drogheda with the Ulster Railway, opening as far as Dundalk in 1849.

This route would be 88 km long and feature 3 classes, all operated by the state-owned company Iarnród Éireann, which is Irish for Irish Rail. The first of these would be the General Motors 201 Class of 1994, which are a precursor to the eponymous British Class 66. They haul the Enterprise express, pulling coaches which are based on the Class 373 Eurostar’s carriages. Here’s a picture of them:
    upload_2023-3-21_20-18-50.jpeg

Next would be the 29000 Class DMUs, which are used on InterCity and Commuter services, and were manufactured by the Spanish CAF, known in the UK for constructing the Class 195 & 397. They are part of the CxK family of multiple units, other examples of which can be found in Northern Ireland and New Zealand. They were built between 2002 and 2005. Here’s them pictured: upload_2023-3-21_20-24-37.jpeg

Last of all are the German 8100 Class units, which are used on the electrified rapid transit DART service, and are the oldest in passenger service on the Irish network, dating from 1983 and 1984. There is not much else to say about them apart from their 1,500 V DC system, different from the EU standard. Here’s a picture:
    upload_2023-3-21_20-33-22.jpeg

That’s the proposal. It is worth noting that Irish locomotives run on a gauge of 1,600 mm, only elsewhere used in Northern Ireland, Victoria and Brazil, it wouldn't be the first non-standard gauge route in TSW3, that title belonging to the Arosalinie. They are equipped with CAWS and ATP warning systems.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2023
    • Like Like x 4
  2. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Sadly I don't think there's enough interest in Irish routes to justify a commercial venture. There were a handful for MSTS and none I know of for TSC. For me the era would have to be ack in the 80's or 90's with 071's plus 121/141/181 classes.

3. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Vern, just in case you missed this. There's actually a HUGE (~500 km) free irish route for TSC: Dublin - Limerick - Cork and Tralee:

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/irish-route.65333/#post-611205

It's very nice and took many years of development (and a lot of assets).

In case you're missing some assets, I can help you on that.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2023
  4. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

An excellent idea overall but the best choice might be Belfast Dundalk due to it being AWS TPWS DSD Driver's Remainder appliance while using 1.6m Irish Gauge tracks. Does require the training centre map to support dual gauge tracks 1.435m inner outer Irish Gauge 1.6m
    [​IMG]
    If Japanese 1.067m Cape Gauge routes and compatible with 1m Rhb Arosa are added with the Dublin Dundalk route Irish Gauge you get this dual gauge setup. Note the freight car is using the Inner track with the Outer for 1.435m Standard Gauge running. In TSW 3 UK France Canada Switzerland SBB-CFF-FFS Germany and US
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2023
  5. lucasfor49

lucasfor49 Well-Known Member

The issue is there's not really a market for Irish routes which is mostly why they stick to the big 3 - the only country with High demand other then that is probably Japan but the only likely developers of Japanese route is UW

• Like Like x 1
  6. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I must check that out sometime. I did have a copy of the Farranfore to Cahirceveen in very early beta, quite a wild ride along a long closed railway. The most scenic routes from the residual Irish (Eire) network are going to be Mallow to Tralee, Waterford to Limerick Junction or Rosslare up to Dublin. Strange, when they reopened part of the Western Corridor I thought that would be really scenic, but watching the Video 125 cab ride not that interesting, a few small hills and drumlins but otherwise quite bland.

7. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Correct and how about UK Northern Ireland. key difference between Mainland UK is that Northern Ireland uses 1.6m tracks instead of 1.435m tracks while keeping the same AWS TPWS DSD Driver Remainder Appliance system.

8. R3DWolf91

R3DWolf91 Well-Known Member

I would love to see Irish content in game. The Irish content produced by Making-Tracks for MSTS was fun and got great reviews. I don't see why there wouldn't be interest in something outside "the big three", especially since the popular consensus seems to be we keep getting recycled content. The New Zealand route for TSC has good reviews, so there must be a desire for something new and different. Irish trains have always left me with a "similar to what's in the UK, but different" impression that shouldn't leave regulars too far out of their comfort zone.

My fiance and I are planning a trip to Dublin next year and I'm looking forward to my first train ride in a different country. We're hoping to do Dublin to Galway and back.

9. twinboo

twinboo Active Member

I don’t think it gets scenic until the Claremorris and Collooney section, even then it’s only sort of scenic.

My point exactly. If Turkish and Kiwi routes can work in TSC, surely an Irish route wouldn’t be too strange, especially since St. Patrick’s Day has only just passed.

• Like Like x 3
  10. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

I remember a ride in my youth from Tralee to Cork. Was on the Féile Festival back in 1993 - did the "Trip to Tipp". Then heading back to our cottage at Dun Oir, Bantry Bay. Have some friends there owning a crafts shop, selling pottery and jewelry. And loadsa pints in Kilcrohane at Eileen's :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2023
    • Like Like x 2