PC Editor Eta

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by greggryan2, Dec 27, 2019.

?
  1. Release an editor fully finished bugs flushed out working flawlessly in all parts

29.7%
  2. Release an editor partially finished as it stands into a public beta, & fix bugs alongside pub beta

66.2%
  3. Abort the editor and move onto something else in the Train Sim World Area

4.1%
  1. greggryan2

greggryan2 Active Member

Hi,
    Any word at all on this editor as I believe it's not third Christmas in where nothing has been said about it and what stage it's at. Plus when we get the public beta to actually start getting involved. it's now beyond a joke literally.

I've to place a Poll below to see what peoples views are and what they are prepared to wait for see if it nudges the creators in any way to release an editor or give an update on progress and what's left to be done. The Poll will let you mark your response but not change it so choose wisely.

Thanks

• Like Like x 4
  2. greggryan2

greggryan2 Active Member

Also with the poll, with the first option that would be the case, it's not released until it's fully finished and ironed out. If the creators haven't got anywhere near that stage yet means we will be waiting for a hell of a lot longer.

3. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I feel that option 1 is the best option of the 3, they cannot be to far off from its release. As for option 3 that should not even be choice, as if you were to suggest abandoning the editor. There would no TSW as there be no one to create content other than DTG and that just waould not work.

• Like Like x 2
  4. greggryan2

greggryan2 Active Member

I agree that option 1 is the best, However, with how long we have all seemed to be waiting I believe option 2 was a good choice for me to pick as I'm that excited to use it I'd use it in any state at this point. wether it's finished or not haha.

5. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

I would say release the editor as it was shipped to third parties. Ability to import game's content and quality of life features can wait.

• Like Like x 1
  6. greggryan2

greggryan2 Active Member

I agree with that as well and That's what I think they're doing.

Making the base stuff they need and then adding all the little extra bits that aren't really required for it to work just things to make various things easier and more efficient, and extra abilities to do more stuff then what the base pack in effect would have.

I don't know however what they actually doing as I'm only a fan of train sim world that loves playing it.

7. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Indeed! Option 1 and heavy doses of patience from forum members such as yourself is the only valid, sensible solution. The alternative choices would only lead to more ineffective complaining. Stopping all of the nagging and whining -- both positive and negative -- should allow those working on this project the time they need to complete it. Until then, just sit back, enjoy TSW, and wait patiently. And that goes for all of the naggers, whiners, screamers, and cussers in forumlandia!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    • Like Like x 8
  8. LastTrainToClarksville

Thanks to whomever for the X. It validates my position.

• Like Like x 3
  9. DigitalRails

DigitalRails Member

Remember UE4 is not old school as simple as RW Editor
    It will make you pull your hairs :P

10. Michael Newbury

It's a shame the person who X you did not have any common sense to reply, but I do agree with you we all just need to be patient and wait for the editor. I believe that i cannot be to far now I would rather it be released without any bugs.

11. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

If you click "List" next to the vote counter, you can check who it was, these votes aren't anonymous ;)

It can be a hassle though thanks to poor web design...

12. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

If you look at what DTG have said is their plan then none of the options above match what has been said. At the time of the stream the plan was to have a closed beta followed by a public beta and eventually a general release of the editor

From what I can gather the closed beta is currently in place. I don't know if the closed beta was late starting or if it's gone on for much longer than anticipated due to issues that have arisen or indeed if there's been a lack of resource avaiable to fix outstanding issues or perhaps a major issue has cropped up that DTG hasn't worked out how to fix.

I do have to say that expecting a flawless editor without any bugs is just pie in the sky especially since a large part of the supplied standard editor is the responsibility of Unreal Engine rather than DTG.

Just to be clear; none of the above means that I absolve DTG for their abysmal communication over the last six months on this subject as they fully deserve the flak they've received.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Lombra

Lombra Well-Known Member

Do you also believe Half Life 3 is just around the corner?

How can you possibly believe that it can't be too far out now, when they've given no sign of progress since that one studio update one year ago?

I'm convinced they were working on it at that time, but I'm not convinced they still are.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

I like the idea of a public beta
    ..as long as DTG are completely open about the ongoing development and we are aware of all the bugs and known issues along the way.

The last thing they want is to have a forum full of complaints about feature x or feature y not working as expected...

• Like Like x 1
  15. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

I hope this editor is a lot more friendly looking; the TS2020 editor looks insane.

Why does it look like that? Looks like land of the giants - Giant domes, speakers, the instructions above the train which are like wtf?! And the portals are weird, i’ve used the editor before but i’ve got to hand it to you all, no wonder every dev is a bit mad, staring at that madness for hours on end

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  16. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

If you want to see what it looks like...Matt did a stream before it went into closed beta around 12mths ago... it should still be available on the DTG Youtube & twitch channels

17. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

I’ve seen!

18. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

You can turn all those various markers off in the Display Filter (Toolbox Tab, picture of a computer screen); It makes it seem much less cluttered!

As far as Editors go, the Railworks Editor is quite user friendly, so long as you read the original Rail Simulator Developer Docs; They are however no longer available from DTG, which isn't helpful. Nine times out of ten when people say the route Editor isn't user friendly, they will usually admit haven't read the Developer Documents. If you don't read and understand the manual for something complex, it's not suprising it doesn't seem user friendly.

As for the UE4 Editor, you can download and use it right now. The only difference will be plugins that DTG have added, such as a track laying tool. All the general world building tools will however be the same.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  19. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

From what I've been told the 'closed beta' isn't actually a beta of the public release. DTG have just shared their in-house Editor with a select few, whom they trust with access to the source files, which the in-house Editor provides. As I understand it there is no public build of the Editor at the moment, either alpha or beta.

20. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

As i’ve heard, Just Trains and Armstrong Powerhouse are amongst the mix - Just trains has been confirmed to be making summat, but not sure on AP, but I gather Masterkey will probably have access too, as these all are established devs with DTGs support. Masterkey a latter

21. jörgen Näslund

jörgen Näslund Well-Known Member

What do you mean with summat?.

22. hightower

hightower Guest

I think this has been dismissed as false by Dmitri. There was a rumour that JT were working on some scenarios for a pack but I believe that isn’t the case.

I for one don’t think we’ll see the editor until the game engine is updated to a newer version. That is supposedly on the wish list and hopefully we might see that at some point in 2020. You never know, that might be the big change that underpins TSW2021, although I’d hope to see that done before next Autumn!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2019
  23. ex_railwayman

ex_railwayman Active Member

There is a major issue here that nobody has mentioned yet, something that has been around for the last 10 months, or, so, this game is now aimed towards Consoles....Gamers cannot edit anything in PS4 or XBOX, and as DTG have now found out that they are a big player in unit sales for this simulator version, they are more likely to forego the editor (which only PC users can use) and concentrate in making DLC for the console market which is where they have the largest customer base, therefore, personally speaking, there won't be an editor in the forseable future, otherwise it would have been released by now, wouldn't it???

• Like Like x 2
  24. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

They have said on streams in the last couple of weeks that it is still ongoing, or do you think they are lying? If they are lying what on earth do you think they are going to get out of it?

• Like Like x 3
  25. theorganist

Surely option 1 is the obvious choice (assuming these are the only options available)!

There would be some on here who would soon forget option 2 was an option and be castigating DTG for all the faults with it if a fully ironed out version wasn't released and option 3 would result in a meltdown here.

The main issue for me with option 3 is that it stops other content creators creating so we will end up getting not so much variety in the future. However I am not sure option 3 would necessarily be as unpopular as some people think, maybe on here but maybe not beyond these "walls". Many games do not have editors or other content creators. I would still use TSW if option 3 were to arise, although I would be a lot more circumspect with whatever add-ons I purchased, I only used the editor is TS1 to create scenario's and I find service mode perfectly adequate so I wouldn't use it that much, although obviously many people would.

Then again according to many on here option 3 has already happened so the poll seems a little superfluous!

• Like Like x 2
  26. theorganist

I think some downvotes can be considered as upvotes depending on your point of view!

• Like Like x 1
  27. Michael Newbury

I have watched some of JT's streams and they have mention that they are doing stuff for TSW

28. raptorengineer

raptorengineer Active Member

i hope the unreal engine for TSW get updated when the editor release. i think that the best option cause if they release the editor on unreal 4.16 then a lot of people might not bother with the editor at all since the unreal 4.25 has some amazing features and big improvements over 4.16.

29. LastTrainToClarksville

Get back to us when you actually know how to use the TS editor.

Attached Files:

30. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

The docs were moved to a new website which can be found here.

• Like Like x 1